OMG! She definately isn't past her sell by date!

Howengold

Jul 19, 2009
I have been able to ride twice this week so far, once with Lizzie and Kosha, and Jackie and Shandy (my friend and her 30 year old). Sovereign was jogging and swinging around non-stop! She wanted to go everytime we hit grass and I had to hold her back all the way round! That was Sunday.

Monday I didn't ride her but Tori took her with Shandy and Jackie and she was still raring to go and Tori likes a good gallop and Sov provided one! I prefer my girl to plod but I know it does her good to let her hair down now and then.

This afternoon I decided to hack out while I was on my own, thinking that now she will have got all the excess energy out of her system...:rolleyes: yeah right! My neice pinched her for ten minutes before I rode and Sov was as ploddy as you would expect a 36 year old to be (Jess is only 2 1/2) then I got on her to go on my hack and she jogged non-stop again!!!! My sister stood on the hill with Jess and watched us go round the fields and she could see her jogging. I let her canter in one of the fields and she almost went in to a gallop but I am wary of her tripping in gallop so pulled her up (eventually). It felt wonderful lol! Then I jogged round to a nice stretch that is safe (ie no rabit holes or deep tractor tracks), I got a beautiful canter from herand she stayed nice and steady, ears pricked the whole time every now and then she was listeningto me and then she would flick them forward again. Her canter is so comfortable and she floats, when she isn't getting faster and faster lol!

When people moan about veterans and say they are past it and need to be retired etc once their working life is over, and all the rubbish I have been hearing lately, I wish they could see horses and ponies like Sovereign in action, she is no where near retiring, she tried it and it almost killed her. She gets a bit stiff in winter if she doesn't have corteflex and her teeth may be few in number but she is so young in the rest of her body and mind!

She puts my friends horses to shame when she springs into action. I don't jump her anymore but I bet if my kids did she would still do as well as she did as a youngster. I can't believe she is the same horse I bought 7 or 8 months ago. I am so glad I saw through her decrepid looks and knew she wasn't ready to retire. She looks at least 20 years younger and acts it too.

Sorry for gushing but she is so brilliant when ever I ride her!!

any pics?????:)

sadly none of today :confused: I could indulge you if you don't mind a recent one :D

this is her about 4 weeks back with my daughter (ignore the browband lol)
2007_01070173.jpg

5772_1228953083070_1206377093_30675114_692646_n.jpg

and this was about three months ago (she has put more weight on now but can't find my new photos)
5039_1187470766038_1206377093_30525777_2138356_n.jpg

newrider.com