OMG, This makes me so angry

Yes I admit I did to... :eek:

I asked why they were even getting a horse if they can't even afford a lead rope, that it's people like them which is why some horses are passed from pillar to post or end up going to a sanctuary... Grrr :mad:

What an idiot! An older horse is going to need more care and expense in all likelihood. A lead rope is a couple of quid - if you can't buy one from a shop you shouldn't be getting a guinea pig, never mind a horse.

Poor horse.:mad:

As its in my neck of the woods, I too felt compelled to send an e-mail.

WHY on earth is this girl getting a horse, gobsmacked:eek:

It DOES sound very odd. Why on earth would she think that people would just give her freebies, let alone keep a horse on a shoestring?!!!

Be interesting to see if she replies back...

Just emailed her too. Asked her to reconsider taking on the horse if she's not in a financial position to provide the care it needs.

What a prat! Surely this is a joke!
this type of message is very common on the likes of gumtree and also freecycle,though gumtree is especially one for fake/trolling/baiting messages.
they can range from buying a cat,but not being able to afford the food,bowl and other small bits,to threatening to abandon a pet if someone doesnt rehome it that week,and a lot of people on these sites know nothing about the animal they are advertising,having seen british short hair cats advertised as persians,and long hair non pedigrees as maine coons or norwegian forests to sell them quickly.

best thing with the horse advert,is to hope its a faker,or if really a genuine,that sarchies' email might get some sense to her.

Have had email back from the poster on gumtree!!

My message to her:

Why are you getting a horse if you can't even afford the lead rope?
It's people like you why some horses are constantly moved from home to home, or given to sanctuaries.

Her reply:

no its not at all actualy, it didnt say i wont pay for it i have a lead rope, grooming kit, head collar and 2 blankets for it, it was if anyone had stuff they wanted to get rid of, i can afford it, i didnt put on the ad i got someone to . i was willing to buy all this stuff

I got a reply too.

My message: Sorry but I have to say this! Why on earth are you getting a horse if you can't even afford food for it?

I've just forked out nearly £100 in feet/vaccs for my horse but that's normal routine things!

Her Message:

i can afford food for it i put it on therer incase someone had some horse food left from there horse they needed getting rid of, i would of bought it,

Yeah that's just ridiculous.

My old mare who was 27, was fairly cheap in accordance to some horses.. but also she had to have extra supplements to her feed, more frequent vet visits etc. to just make sure her health was 100% as she would deteriorate quicker than a younger horse so needed an extra eye on more frequently!

Just because a horse is old it makes NO difference in the expense being cheaper, like others have said, if anything it's more pricey as they require more care!!

And again!

I'll admit I'm not going to get into a debate with her any further but I sent her this email back:

Your ad stated: "havnt got much money so can afford tobuy from a shop"

If you cannot afford to buy supplies for your horse from a shop, how are you going to be able to pay livery fees, vet bills, vaccinations, dentistry, farrier, wormer, any maintenance you're responsible for - let alone the things that are regularly forgotten to budget for: buckets, brooms, bits, bridles, reins, saddles, stirrup leathers, stirrups, hoof picks, balancers, supplements, medication, salt licks, storage containers, lotions, hoof oil...

The list is endless.

My point isn't to 'have a go' - it's to open your eyes to the reality that owning a 'pretty pony' is much more hard work & expensive than people think it is. Budgeting for the unexpected costs way more than what you think your horse will cost.

To which she replied:

you know anyone in the area with a horse i can ride or look after for them now and then??please call 079******** as going oofline now, as if i can find someone then that would be brill

Clueless... totally 100% clueless.

Oh goodness .. this makes me glad I am a moderator on my local Freecycle, that would NOT get approved. I think it was more the wording really. If the person had said something like, short on money, wanted to know if anyone had spare headcollar/leadrope/boots etc but made it clear that this was only if someone had it as a spare it would have been OK. But still ... 'spare feed' ... mmhmm so your horse is going to get a random half bag of feed, could be completely unsuitable!

newrider.com