Omg ticks are going riff

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
I've found a few ticks this week on a lamb. He had 3 ticks and hes only 3 weeks old. I've treated all sheep and there lambs, and the cattle with a pour on solution which kills them.
Then i found one on chunky between his front legs a few days ago, on his clipped area, so easy to spot. I've just clipped his back end as he had an Irish clip and he was sweating in work so today I've taken it all off. Whilst doing so i clipped through a tick on his bottom. I removed the head as it was still in the skin. Can't believe what his thick coat was hiding considering i was brushing it.
Just got home from clipping and was in the shower and guess what i found a tick attached to my shoulder. Have managed to remove it from my body with some tweezers. Its so important to examine yourself.
So thats 6 in one week. Looks like it going to be a bad year.

Eugh that sounds horrid. I've never seen any around here, but daughter ended up with Lyme disease a few years ago from a tick bite when she was working in France.
Horrible things. Yuk.

Hate ticks, lucky enough I have so far not had any bother with them in my field, sheep and horses have been tick free. Although I got awful flystrike with some of my sheep last year...horrendous. Hopefully the pour on will help prevent your lot from getting anymore ticks.

We went camping last year and afterwards I removed about 6 from my terrier and 1 from my son! It was on his head, and he had swollen lymph nodes for a good six weeks afterwards, which put the fear into me. Really hope it's not a bad year!

I've read the symptoms for Lyme's disease so i will keep a carful eye on my body over the next few weeks. Any hint of symptoms i shall run to the doctors.

Eeuwwwwwwww! How gross are they?!!!!!! Gosh I hope we don't have many. At our last place Storm contracted Lyme's disease (well it was not confirmed either way and was borderline according to the vet) yet I never found ticks on her? Maybe I missed them. Horrid. I am itching now! @chunky monkey lots of vibes you are okay!!

Ticks are rife around here all the time making it the Lyme hot spot in the Uk :( don't wait for Lyme symptoms, if you have a tick and get the 'bulls eye' reaction you need to go straight to the docs and get antibiotics, Lyme is pretty easily treated with a couple of weeks worth in the early days but if left it can be very difficult to get rid of and the normal tests that the NHS offers are renowned for false negatives (the more accurate test is more expensive) so its best to just treat early on :)

Some horses seem to pick up ticks more than others, the TB I had at my place a few years back would find at least 1 a week in summer, where jess and hank don't seem to get them. I know some fly sprays can help repel them perhaps I've just been lucky.

newrider.com