On a saddle, what is meant by a "straight head"?

Sarah-B

Oct 8, 2005
Hampshire
Sorry for the dozy question, but Kay has told me on a saddle I should look for a "straight head" as it gives a little more room in the seat.

I thought I was familiar with all the parts of a saddle but don't know what this means - help!!

ive never heard of that before either? maybe she means a cut back pommel. im used to cut back pommels, i personally find them comfier, but my new saddle hasnt got one, and ouch!! :eek:

i'm not sure either but would be interested to know. At a guess.. (and this is just a stab in the dark) i would have thought she is talking about the pommel, being instead of rounded and going over the wither... maybe it's a straight cut back one...??

We have a brand of saddle over here called a status and it has the pommel i'm thinking about.. i'll add a link...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Saddle-statu...tcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i'm probably way off track tho :D

...in fact, I've just found a piccy of one to illustrate...

Attachments

• BS-full-head-WH.jpg
    BS-full-head-WH.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 15
Both of those saddles have a cut back head. Some saddles have more of a cutback than others. If you look up a Lane Fox saddle on Google, you'll see an example of a big cutback.

No, The photo above does have a slight cut back, a straight head has no swell in it at all.

hang on I'll have a look for a true straight head.

Can anybody find a piccie of a straight cut head from above (like the piccies I posted) so I can really see what I'm looking for?

Not brilliant pic but here's one

Attachments

• straight cut head.jpg
    straight cut head.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 51
Try this

Attachments

• straight cut head 2.jpg
    straight cut head 2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 18
So would this be a cut back head?
kieffer_ulla_rusty.jpg

Yes!! That's a cut back head, cut back quite a lot in fact and I can now see how having a "straight head" would give you more room in the seat.

(Hope you don't mind me using your piccie hun!!)

We used to make Lane Fox Show saddles these things have a 4 inch cut back, I think you can see it here. They were a pain to lace in, sore knuckles every time!

Attachments

• 4 inch cut back.jpg
    4 inch cut back.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 14
newrider.com