One cantankerous obstinate mare free to good home

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
..................OK, OK, let me tell you the story.

Yesterday 'she' made me go round in circles, despite the fact I reared, bucked
and put on a damn good show, even if I say it myself. She had another
'She Who Must be Obeyed' friend with her to help out.......I did my very
best to avoid doing these stupid circle things but had to bow down to
pressure and get on with it come the end...........THEN, she expected me to do it the OTHER way !!!!!!!!!

Today, Yes TODAY, she came and expected me to do it again, YES, EXACTLY, I can see you are as shocked as I was.......... !!!

She is having a LAUGH............

I bucked, reared, attempted to run off, stamped my feet and looked her
in the eye...................but she did NOT give up and eventually had me
going round in these stupid circles again, even though I did most in full
out canter, that didn't put her off...............

SO, does anybody want her...........I warn you mind, she is STUBBORN
and OBSTINATE but I will give her away............. I have had her for a few years now and NEVER had these problems with her before, especially two days on the trot !!!! she seems quite 'reasonable' to keep, tea and the occasional ciggie usually
calms her.....................any takers :biggrin:

Just in case you are 'undecided' I have to add that there is a rather annoying little Shetland that comes with her, whilst all this
was going on he was watching whilst nibbling at a HUGE haynet and I SWEAR he was sniggering !!!!

Last edited:
Have enough trouble with my 'obstinate cantankerous mare' thanks all the same,but I think I will make sure mum see's this as you makes me look positively angelic girl:angel::giggle:

My mum thinks I'm bad when I try and avoid the circles by chucking my head around and trying to run off when she's silly enough to only use one rein (not even worth the effort of playing up when she uses two reins,she has the edge then and quite frankly it's all too embarrassing when I don't get anywhere and just end up looking silly,and 'she' just laughs at me:devil:),but wait until she see's this I will be redeemed and considered even more wonderful!!
I am hoping that will mean more in the way of treats for me,she's a bit tight with them as a rule,but maybe this will be my ticket to more carrots:dance:

Well guess you gotta and try and get rid of this evil mare of yours,either that or you could try bigger bucks and rears maybe?? Or if you want to know my trick for avoiding work then just suddenly develop a limp whenever you see her with any of that tack stuff,won't make you do any work then and even get more attention and maybe treats!!
My mum say's I only have to see a saddle and I self harm:wink: She doesn't seem to pleased about it TBH,you'd think she would be proud I'm good at something??

Strange creatures these human mothers,I don't blame you for wanting rid,but maybe think about it a bit more,after all what if there was an even worse one out there:frown::help:

Marble xx

No way! I love it when my mum makes me do the circly thing - it's great fun!!! I must admit to being a bit of a mummys boy though - I like to look after her and make sure she has at least one big hug a day!

The trick is to be good NEARLY all the time - for example, last night when mum dragged me and the little mare in, our mate was putting on a show much like yours. So I joined in, and so did little mare!

Mum thought it was so funny she nearly fell over and no one got told off :D Once you've mastered the "gentle nudge" you're on a winner!

Love, Trigs xxx

I am having similar troubles myself!!!!!! Up until now there have been no problems but recently she's been demanding things......going to have to come up with better tricks to put her off!

I found that if one day you act as if you know what she's asking you and then the next day look really sorry for yourself and keep turning in and standing still as if you don't understand then she gives up pretty quick thinking its her fault. I'm of the opinion better the devil you know at the moment Sioned. Just wish mine would stop falling off.
Good luck with it,
Flip
x

Maybe its something to do with the Weather, if I remember rightly
she got 'all above herself' this time last year deciding we 'had to be doing
something'.....as she keeps saying 'grass is comin' thro'' and there is no doubt it seems to affect her.

I let her sit on me, but these circle things are beyond me....I hear her
saying to people 'I hate this ''lungeing'' I think its called, they find it sooo
hard' and then she insists on doing it anyway.........if SHE hates it, how
the hell does she think I feel, she just stands in the middle most of the time
give or take a yard or two, its ME that has to run round like an idiot' Although I have to say I made her
move pretty quickly a couple of times yesterday..........and today, I knew she was taking it all 'seriously' when I saw
her hat come out !!

She got the better of me today, again, even when I snaked my neck to
try to stop her getting along side me she managed to do it..........

IF I had a 'school report' guess it would say 'have to try harder'..........thats
to stop her doing this of course, not to run round in circles like a
well behaved Nancy !!!
oh well, there is always tomorrow:biggrin:

Last edited:
You think you have it bad, Ive only been with mine a week. Today she is practising her "balance" on me with the instructor I thought Id got rid of and she followed me, she keeps falling forward in transitions so I have to stop so she doesnt crush my head, all on a lunge line in trot and canter.

As if that wasnt enough she decided to hack me out this evening, so I walked really really slow with me head right down.

I did wipe my tea up her arm though :bounce:

Maybe you can try what I did today, next time you want to get out of doing those stupid circles. I pretended I was scared of the wind - you know, looking around with your head in the air, do a few prancy moves - then mine took all my gear off and spent about an hour grooming me within an inch of my life, without even sitting on my back! Mind you, this only works if you have one of those nervous nellie type moms.

Rusty

newrider.com