one fell pony, one mini shetland (possibly) on one acre land?

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
Is it possible?
The idea would be to put a track system in place round the outside with haylage nets hung out at feeding stations. The centre would be used for riding, possibly overnight/winter turnout..
Obviously I would have to feed haylage all year. The Fell is a very good doer - the Shetland would only be bought as a companion depending on what other horses are around for my girl to see...
I have seen a house I like and more importantly, can afford, but it only comes with a paddock of around an acre, just wandered if anyone manages on such a small area?

No reason you can't do a track system on that size with those 2 ponies but what you would need to consider is ground conditions and you would most likely need to surface some of it during wetter months. That would add to cost but if you can get a tractor in to scrape and then buy road planings it's the cheapest form of hard-core to place down.

I think its doable with a track :) especially with natives who don't need tons of grass, if push came to shove and your herd increased you could always consider renting rough grazing, that doesn't have power/water, close by to give your paddock a rest periodically :)

i used to manage with about the same. What I did was split it into 1/2 acre and 2 x 1/4 acres and put a hardstand area down with a shelter on one part so in the worst of winter when everything is poached you can shut them onto that. Rotating them the rest of the year worked really well.

Its definitely do able my Shetland lives year round on 1/4 of an acrea and in summer I have to put something in with her part time to keep the grass down for her.and a fell could easily live on 3/4 of an acre with hayledge... go for it :) I do like the idea charlies angel had about the hardstanding round the shelter/stables.

When I was in the North East I used to keep 2 Fells and 1 Shetland on 1 1/2 acres with supplementary hay feeds and a yard area of hard standing and stables....they were easily managed... and kept there weight well :) In winter I just had a round bale on the year area on the worst of days.

I currently have around 5 acres with stables a school, winter turnout paddocks. Perfect. However the yard is at the other end of he village from my house although only a five minute walk, so I can't do a late night check very easily. (I do have friends who's houses back onto my land so they keep an eye out for me). Obviously 5 acres is much too much for one pony so I have 2 friends/3 horses on there too. Which brings it's own set of problems.... having to dispose of a larger muck heap, replacing fences that other horses have broken, sourcing haylage that all the horse like/can eat, disposing of waste haylage etc etc (they do pay a DIY fee but one of them seems to think the DIY bit doesn't apply to her) so I would be giving up a lot. I can't afford to buy the same facilities attached to a house, but like I said have seen a house which would work for us and seemingly the pony(s). It is around 3 miles from an equestrian centre so could possibly hire school/ have lessons there..........
I would love to be able to nip into my garden, feed the pony, then go back to bed, or just be able to watch them from a window.
Big decision to make I think.

Yes, nothing like shuffling round to kiss muzzles last thing at night, or just listening to them rootling about snuffling and munching. It would be good if you could make the place work for you.

newrider.com