One horse left after other being pts

All-rounder Chick

Jan 2, 2017
Unfortunately due to constant laminitis issues since April 16. My horse seems to be sensitive to hay too. I've come to terms that practically I won't be able to manage him in the future. We are barely managing now... And i need an op which means 3 months off horses. So he will have to be pts.
I will still have my elderly pony who I cannot keep on his own. He has heart problems that he was born with and I feel stressing him out with moving him afterwards, is unfair on him. But I want something in place. I'm not going to be ready to buy another horse afterwards so I was thinking of approaching a charity.
Also as in 20+ years of owning I've never had to get one put one down, what burial arrangements or who do I approach regarding cremation etc? Sorry its a sad one on a Sunday.
Thanks guys

Our vet helped me take care of things when Joe was pts. She arranged for me to contact a local person who came for his body for cremation. I didn't want his ashes or anything like that. Tho that could have been arranged. We had our own land but it all happened so quickly I'd never have had time to think about burial etc and getting permissions. Cost wise I think it worked out including the vet fee about £200.
I think if you approach a local charity they will be more than happy to help with a companion - that's what we did and it turned out to be the best thing ever, as the mare we have is such a sweetie and has given us five years of happiness.

Sorry I might have mis read your post - so you aren't looking for company for your oldie? Were you wondering about a charity taking him? I guess it is worth a try but they are all still pretty full. Would he not be okay if you moved him onto a yard with other horses? I guess there is a lot to think about and maybe he might find it stressful suddenly becoming part of a herd, unless you could find a place with couples or three max per field. So difficult. You are right not to want to keep him alone tho, it's not good is it. We were lucky enough to get Chloe within 48 hrs of J being pts so she was not too stressed.

Just wanted to add - I think World Horse Welfare and BHS have a lot of information about the whole process so might be worth checking their websites.

No you were right before. I want another for him but not ready to commit to ownership of another horse. Thank you, I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Did you find it was problem free? I keep thinking there might be more issues or complications.

We found it very easy to get Chloe, we approached a local charity and explained what had happened with J and then they showed us some potentials. Then they did a home check to make sure we had enough land / facilities. Then finally we asked them to transport her for us as we've no trailer. She came, unloaded and settled in remarkably well. They used to come and visit us twice a year for updates but we moved along way away and so we just do emails and photo updates - plus I let them have my new vets details etc.

The whole pts process went smoothly too, we had a lot of support. If you want to know any details feel free to pm me. It's a sad subject but something we all end up having to face.

Can't a friend lend you something short term.

To me a loan is a commitment especially off a charity.

When my gelding was PTS my mare was left alone :( it happened very suddenly so I didn't have time to get anything in place first. I put a shout out to my Facebook friends and one who runs a small rescue came back to say she had a mini I could have, I picked him up that weekend because I needed company for Jess, not because I wanted him, but I don't regret taking him :) he's turned out to be brilliant :D

In terms of the whole PTS process, disposal etc, I've always gone with my vet and who they reccomended as I've not had time or the choice (because of drugs given before deciding to pts) with any of mine to look into other options, if I did I would consider using the hunt.

If you are in Kent (or within reach of it) the place Hank came from are currently desperate for fosterers (is that even a real word?!? :p) I could put you in touch :)

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear this. :-(
I lost my old pony last year to colic and poor Otto was left on his own. I considered looking at a charity, taking in a youngster that was basically just needing a field but ended up with a short term loan until I was ready to get a new horse of my own. The Blue Cross seemed to have quite a few youngsters. xx

So sorry for your loss.
I had to put Max down to complications from cushings causing a really bad bout of laminitis - there could be no good end.
I had already gotten Sonny but was worried if I took Sonny some place Andi would have a melt down alone. I got a goat then 2 now 5;):D.

They make great pets as well ( you need good fences though) they can be
escape artists!:rolleyes:

My husband is allergic to dogs but not the goats.

Reactions: mu0ljk
newrider.com