One hundred and one reasons why you should never own a chestnut mare ...

HorseHelen

Sep 17, 2006
at the farm, near the zoo
When you are on a hack with another livery your horse will plant itself next to a field with a gelding and squirt and shriek continuously ignoring your pony club style kicks leaving you in a very uncomfortable three some situation

Should you dare to flick your whip theb said pony will do it's circus pony impression with graceful mini rears

Check back tomorrow for the second instalment!

I always feel slightly sorry for the geldings, who look interested but can't deliver the goods. With you on top, it does make for a rather frustrating menage-a-trois, possibly scripted by Mike Leigh.

I was going to say, there is a little gelding on our yard who definitely knows what he is doing :giggle:

I have a soft spot for slightly nutty ginger mares:wink:

At least the mini rears are graceful!

Can't wait for the next instalment. Is she always a nympho, or is it her time of the month?

At least the mini rears are graceful!

Can't wait for the next instalment. Is she always a nympho, or is it her time of the month?

She literally turns into the devil pony as soon as spring hits, usually at the end of March, this year has come slightly later and I had thought it wouldn't come at all! Wishful thinking

She usually costs me a fortune in oestress without which she becomes very difficult to ride as very nappy :-( i often have to write spring off completely which is a bit disconcerting after the usual hard winter lol

I always feel slightly sorry for the geldings, who look interested but can't deliver the goods. With you on top, it does make for a rather frustrating menage-a-trois, possibly scripted by Mike Leigh.

Lol yeah Joe used to look baffled when Storm offered up the goods....:yellowcarded:

Libby failed to emulate yesterday's antics - but she tried her best to!

I caught her and her pal to return her to the starvation paddock on the way to the yard ... she had a complete hissy fit after her pal had been dropped off, lots of stropping sighing backing up rearing. In the end I had to take her back the way we came on a massive round route to get her onto the yard

Tacked up and left the yard by turning right ... she stropped again and threatened to do her circus pony impression whilst I tried to keep her neck bent so she couldn't do it ... she ended up choosing the route and we went straight on instead - figured that forwards was better than upwards! Don't think sge had worked out she had inadvertently selected a longer hacking route haha

And for the rest of the hack she was perfect, a model pony citizen

Once we were back approaching the yard I thought what the heck I'll do ten mins in the school now she nicely warmed up. School was a left turn and yard would have been a right turn. Thought she'd have a complete meltdown and refuse to go but nope nothing no protest at all

In the school she worked really nicely she felt loose and free. We even did trotting poles - which for us is a big deal as Joosie knows having ridden her before

Back on the yard Libby has to have the last laugh by doing a huge wee that I then had to clean up!

All in all Libby nil Helen one I think!

Few pics

These aren't ears I've seen for a long time. Second time in school in one year

Last edited:
Part III

After a lot of plotting by the pony she comes up with an ingenious way of avoiding work for a third day in a row. I mean, come on, that's seriously too big an ask for any pony

So the said pony puts it's plan in action over night full well knowing it's bank holiday weekend and bingo ... pulls it's front shoe off

Yay says the pony no more work for me for at least a week perfect!

Grrr

So tonight I went in fetch her in for a hack

You can't catch me said the pony ...

She made me chase her round and round the field in the sunshine to improve my stamina and fitness levels

Caught her eventually and had a nice hack with no napping yay!

Honey is usually difficult to catch but the past few nights that I have not been going to the field to catch her she has trotted right up to me.... little madam!!!:banghead: They can be so infuriating!

Libby does look lovely though:biggrin:

newrider.com