One itchy eye?!

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
Rascal seems to be having a problem with one of his eyes.

Last week he rubbed the eyelid bald... by the end of the week it was starting to look hairy again and thought it was a one off...

This morning he has taken a lump off his eyelid - the skin is hanging off it like a flap! Its not that deep and wouldn't warrant stitches - but it is about 10p piece sized, and right on his eyelid. I have put sudocream on it as figure nothing the vets can do - but why would the eye be bothering him? He is not itchy elsewhere, and hasn't touched the other eye?

And I presume he is rubbing, I havent seen him doing it.

It's possible there is something underneath the eyelid that's irritating the eyeball. Are you able to gently pull the eyelid away from the eyeball and flush it? Someone on another thread was talking about using Optrex, I don't see why not in a situation like this! Perhaps you'd need a sterilized syringe and gently squeeze in the optrex from either the outside or the inside corner of the eye. Poor wee man! I'd also be wary of using something oily like sudocrem on the outside of the eyelid as with gravity he might blink it in and smear it over the eyeball, too.

I didnt think about that - but was all I had to protect the open wound. He isn't bothered by it, let me put cream on it without a headcollar on and no fuss - Mister Stoic compared with Mrs WorldAlwaysFallingApart :giggle:

YO will check on it for me in a bit, I expect him and silver will be covered in cream knowing him :giggle:

It's possible there is something underneath the eyelid that's irritating the eyeball. Are you able to gently pull the eyelid away from the eyeball and flush it? Someone on another thread was talking about using Optrex, I don't see why not in a situation like this! Perhaps you'd need a sterilized syringe and gently squeeze in the optrex from either the outside or the inside corner of the eye. Poor wee man! I'd also be wary of using something oily like sudocrem on the outside of the eyelid as with gravity he might blink it in and smear it over the eyeball, too.

my thoughts as well, probably dust/grit between eyeball and lid and you know what that likewhen you blink - we have used Optrex with some sucess, suggested by Vets- once we got it in that is, quite a few attempts eventually used a large eye bath, daughter held head and I held bath over eye - syringe was a no no.
after a couple of times he seemed to enjoy the relief it gave.

I've used Optrex on Puz before when her eyes have been really irritated by the flies - works very well!!

newrider.com