One last chance....

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a difficult thing to go through. I 100% agree with you though. He has a 70% chance of recovery which are great odds. Your family are behind you, you have planned where he will spend his box rest, where he can live out and be happy as a non ridden horse. Like you said, worse case is that he will still have to be pts and you could have saved yourself all that money, but he is your best friend and I think you would forever be asking yourself ‘what if’, if you don’t at least try for him.
I hope the surgery goes well and the box rest isn’t too stressful for either of you - 12 weeks will fly by. Fast healing vibes being sent from me and Mylo xx

Thank you. He really is my best friend. I have had some really low points over the last 7 years, especially when my eldest son was admitted to Great Ormond Street hospital, and when my dad had a heart attack. Ben has always been a sanctuary for me, he doesn't mind if I cry on him, sit with him or just hug him. Just being near him makes me feel at peace and after some time with him I feel recharged to go and face the world again. I don't want to keep him alive for my own selfish reasons though, and if I feel he is suffering significantly throughout any of this I will give him a dignified ending. I just have to give him this chance though. It is the right thing to do. x

I know I am not one of your favourite people Mary Poppins but I really am so very sorry to read this update. I agree with everyone else, if you dont at least try the surgery you would probably question your decision for the rest of your life if things get worse for him without it. A 70 per cent chance is odds in yours and Ben's favour, try and hang on to that thought. Everything crossed for a very good outcome. :(

I will also be thinking of you and Ben. I also think if I was in the same situation I too would opt for the surgery, it is clear how much you love him and you don't want him to suffer but he is only 14 years old and a 70% chance is definitely worth trying.
I will be sending positive vibes to you and healing vibes to Ben.

Reactions: Mary Poppins
I'm wishing you all the very best. Given that vets tend to be guarded in their prognosis - who can blame them in today's sue culture? - I'd say 70% is pretty good odds in your favour. I just hope the insurance will pick up the majority of it, from what you've said on previous posts that I've seen I can't see why they shouldn't but I do know some companies are difficult.

Don't fret about box rest, once they get in a routine many horses cope surprisingly well particularly if they start off not feeling great and so get into a routine while they aren't wanting to do much.

This may be a bit controversial but I don't think it'll do your boys any harm not to have a holiday next year & a scaled back Christmas. They've got a mum that loves them, that's the main thing, and there's still things you can do together in the school holidays without going away. You aren't making them go short on essentials so it's not a hardship, don't beat yourself up over it x

I'm wishing you all the very best. Given that vets tend to be guarded in their prognosis - who can blame them in today's sue culture? - I'd say 70% is pretty good odds in your favour. I just hope the insurance will pick up the majority of it, from what you've said on previous posts that I've seen I can't see why they shouldn't but I do know some companies are difficult.

Don't fret about box rest, once they get in a routine many horses cope surprisingly well particularly if they start off not feeling great and so get into a routine while they aren't wanting to do much.

This may be a bit controversial but I don't think it'll do your boys any harm not to have a holiday next year & a scaled back Christmas. They've got a mum that loves them, that's the main thing, and there's still things you can do together in the school holidays without going away. You aren't making them go short on essentials so it's not a hardship, don't beat yourself up over it x
My insurance limit is £5,000 and I have gone well beyond that already. His conditions and claim are complex but even with the best case scenario I will only have a maximum of £1400 left to claim, and they are disputing that. So I will be paying at least £2100 myself and that is not including the follow up after care. Another option is to sell my lorry. I should get about £5000 for that, but it breaks my heart to do so. I have taken on some more hours at work now so hopefully the kids will have something to open on Christmas morning!

Reactions: lauren123
Absolutely agree that you have to try everything for your bestest buddy so that in years to come you will be able to say that you did everything you could with a clear conscience. Your children are also being set a good example in terms of you being a committed and caring animal owner and they will grow up and respect you for that.

My fingers are firmly crossed that Ben will come good for you....you could do with a dose of good luck! xxx

Good luck with it MP.
I had a similarly priced vet experience and the cost doubled by the time I factored in all the extra costs for stabling, toys, equipment, hiring horse boxes etc. I never knew if I’d be able to ride again but it was worth it to still have my best friend.
We got through it though and I am just back from a week away on holiday with my horse. I have cried every day I still get to ride my beautiful boy and I hope for you that this is the outcome aswell.
My lad was a pita when it came to stabling prior to the seven months he spent in there on boxrest. He actually shocked me with how well he coped but I will go and reply to your other post to offer some suggestions on our experience.

ETA - this incident wasn’t insured but the vet hospital were very good in allowing me to pay them back at £250 per month with no interest charge.

Thank you for all your good wishes.I moved him into his new stable block yesterday which was a big job as I had to drag his mats 100 meters across the yard. It is much busier in there and I prefer the privacy and quietness of my old stable. However if Ben stayed there he would be all alone at night and in the new barn he will always have company. Hopefully in a few months we can move back again.

Hoping all goes well for tomorrow.
Thank you. He is happily out in the field this evening, he doesn’t know it is the last time that will happen for many weeks. I gave him a good groom this morning and then a cuddle at lunchtime but I didn’t want to spend all day moping round him because he is very sensitive to my moods and I wanted him to have a chilled out day before tomorrow. Thanks for all the good luck wishes, I am sure he will be fine and sail through the operation without any issues. In a few months he will be as good as new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newrider.com