online ask a doctor options

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Yes or no?
Has anyone used this service.
My guess is you can ask a question to someone who is actually a qualified doctor if you work long hours and you get a reply, instantly I guess.

Or in my case if you have a question and you don't want to see your own gp and are trying to avoid them. (my gp is brilliant BTW, this is a new avoidance feeling)

I have used it once. Reply came back in very bad English and wasnt very clear at all. I ended up ringing 111 and speaking to an out of hours GP who was much more helpful and trustworthy.

So I'd have to say no!

I'd be very wary. I haven't actually asked a question but I have read answers already given to people with similar problems, and they range from vague to generalised to dangerous, (in my opinion; I'm not a doctor but I do have a science background so have some idea).

Do you have a GP led health centre near you that you'd be willing to go to and see an unfamiliar GP? If not I'd be inclined to google whatever condition/problem I was experiencing and looking for a registered charity support line. They will usually advise going to the GP in the end but at least you have a chance of getting an answer to your question first so it is your choice what you do next.

(I avoid going to my GP at all costs, despite them being brilliant, for lots of reasons from my past, so I can start to understand where you are coming from).

No never, I don't trust my health to an unknown person on line. Why not phone nhs direct? They may be able to help.

I don't think I'd trust them. Our surgery now has an online patient access set up where you can order repeat medication and book online appointments. I am not sure but I think there might be an email facility and a health care professional will reply. But I don't think its for specific questions and answers.
Could you see a different doc? You don't need to give a reason. Also you can make an appointment to see the practice nurse and I have found them to be very helpful and can often put your mind at rest or advise you in the right direction.
At our surgery you can always just have a telephone appointment if you don't want to go in. You ring up and make the appointment and then the doctor rings you at a set time - would this help you? Maybe your gp has this option?

I don't trust doctors sat in front of me (too many bad experiences) let alone online, I wouldn't use the pay for a doctor option, I know a few hypochondriacs who would love that service though, a doctor on hand whenever they wanted...heaven! not saying everyone who would use the service is a hypochondriac, that was just the first thing it made me think as how would they keep track of who had what prescriptions from a local gp in addition?

Are you avoiding them because you don't want to hear what you think they might say? I hope you are okay. 111 are very unhelpful if you have a condition/symptoms you are not sure about. I have rung them a number of times, much easier than talking to someone face to face. But they may well just advise you to go to your GP

I am avoiding them because I don't want my meds changed. They may not, but they can't if you don't go at all.
Maybe I am reaching that awkward cow age! I have always been fairly easy going.

I dont know what meds you are on but surely you will be able to say no. There might be good reason for changing them though

I've been there myself and usually a good chat with the GP meant that my meds stayed unchanged because I put my side of things or that I ended up on something more effective. It doesn't mean that I didn't get very anxious and delay the visit for ages though! Is there a reason you think they might change your meds or is it just a general concern?

You can't insist that you are given a certain treatment but you can refuse treatment and ask for a second opinion if you really don't think a change is the best thing for you.

newrider.com