only confident on one horse- help?

cobbycobby

i don’t know what i’m doing
Oct 15, 2020
uk
hi i’m new here so bear (or is it bare?) with me please.
So i was quite a confident rider when i was a child but i stopped riding for the most part of a decade. Now at 20 years old, I have actively and happily gotten back into riding.
I am currently part loaning a lovely cob who is fantastic to ride and has given me so much of my confidence back.
However, whenever i go for lessons on the school ponies, i do TERRIBLY. I ride like i’ve got no clue what i’m doing. None of my techniques work and i look awful.

Then i go home to my loan horse and ride like a pro.

I have no clue what’s going on and my instructors just treat me like a beginner.

It might be good to note, on the school ponies I have to use a crop when i’m riding. I don’t do this with my loan horse because I love him and the idea of hurting him hurts me. Could this have anything to do with it?

tips and advice are appreciated! thanks for reading :)

I would suggest if possible have some lessons on your loan horse.
Your loan horse just maybe more forward going than the riding school horse. Which maybe why they seem to need use of a crop. Used in the correct manner the crop is not harmful and is only there to support your aids.

Reactions: cobbycobby
I would suggest if possible have some lessons on your loan horse.
Your loan horse just maybe more forward going than the riding school horse. Which maybe why they seem to need use of a crop. Used in the correct manner the crop is not harmful and is only there to support your aids.
thank you for your response! i know it doesn’t harm them haha i’m just a big softie.
i’ve had lessons on my loan horse on our yard and everything goes perfectly. when i do the exact same things on the school ponies it just goes so wrong.
The thing ruining my confidence is that it happens on all the school ponies i’ve ridden recently- this is about 4 different horses. It makes me feel really down about riding.
:(

Don't get down if you're riding well and enjoying your loan horse. Riding school horses are notorious for being hard work. I agree, a lesson on your loan might up your confidence a bit. As for using a whip - I confess, after 30 years of riding, I still feel guilty using it, though most times it's the barest touch. My cob is a stubborn lazy wee so and so, and sometimes needs more than a touch - but I still tap my leg after, to make sure it didn't hurt! ?

Don't get down if you're riding well and enjoying your loan horse. Riding school horses are notorious for being hard work. I agree, a lesson on your loan might up your confidence a bit. As for using a whip - I confess, after 30 years of riding, I still feel guilty using it, though most times it's the barest touch. My cob is a stubborn lazy wee so and so, and sometimes needs more than a touch - but I still tap my leg after, to make sure it didn't hurt! ?
hahahaha i tap my leg afterwards as well out of guilt, even i don’t feel it!
i’m going to stick with just lessons on my loan horse for now as he’s great at making me feel confident.
thank you for your response !

Reactions: Huggy
Riding all horses equally well is a heck of a skill, most people will ride their main horse better than one they have just met, don't worry about it too much :D riding different horses will develop you as a rider, more so than just riding the same horse all the time so don't be too put off by it, but having said that, if all the school horses are slow and unresponsive perhaps looking for somewhere with better trained horses might be to your advantage :)

Reactions: cobbycobby
Riding all horses equally well is a heck of a skill, most people will ride their main horse better than one they have just met, don't worry about it too much :D riding different horses will develop you as a rider, more so than just riding the same horse all the time so don't be too put off by it, but having said that, if all the school horses are slow and unresponsive perhaps looking for somewhere with better trained horses might be to your advantage :)
i agree! thank you so much! i’m gonna stick with my horse only for a while because i actually did switch riding schools and the exact same thing happened again hahahaha i cried in the car home because of it lol
thank you for your response! i’m glad it’s common that most people ride their own horse the best- it’s reassuring :)

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com