Oops, a retrograde step today

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Well, we hacked up to the school for our lesson and everything was absolutely fine, calm as you like. We had a couple of little canters and all was well.

In the school there were a couple of tall blue jump wings made of plastic. My teacher moved them out of the way, beyond the fence. Ziggy STARED at them.

We started working on trot with the intention of doing trot canter transitions. But no! Something had got into Ziggy. His head went up, his back dropped away, he rushed. CANTER! No Zigs, trot. Well OK mum, but only if you ride properly. He speeded up every time down the long side of the school where the jump wings were.

AFter 40 minutes of real effort (he is determined to teach me how to ride, this pony) I finally got a nice controlled trot on both reins. We thought we would ask him to walk over a coloured pole, which he did calmly on the third attempt. Then I tried another trot, in a circle away from the jumps. No! Canter! Rush! Try to bolt! Head down as if to buck! My teacher is saying, "Sit down, get his head up," with her urgent voice that means, "because if you don't there will be hell to pay!"

I got him back to trot at last, finished the circuit, and asked him to walk on both reins. Which he did like a beach donkey.

We can only imagine that it was the jump wings that did it. He thought he would be asked to jump, and it set him off with anxiety and speed and running away.

On the hack home, mind you, he was as good as gold, back to the nice little willing pony I have been riding recently. But full of energy when he got back to the field, he careered about like a mad thing!

I have to remember that I haven't had him a year yet and he was in the show jumping yard for 2 years before I got him. There's a lot still to undo. I think I just need to go on praising him when he gets it right and try not to come a cropper when it all goes t*ts up!!!

Glasso vino for me I think...

I think you need to congratulate yourself in making sure that Ziggy did do what you wanted, no matter how long it took.

He clearly listens to you and you must and should have an amzing sense of achievement from that.

Well done for today and I think perhaps this darned spring grass may play a part. I blame it on everything!!!

Yes, well done! I'm loving reading how well you and the Ziggmeister are getting on at the moment. Actually it's probably another big learning step for Ziggy - there were jumps about and you rode him for a whole lesson without making him jump them! Hopefully he'll be a bit more chilled next time. I think you're doing great, you're an inspiration!

Love how relaxed you come across about his antics in the school - I would have been saying 'chill ziggy' through gritted teeth while hanging in for dear life!! As you say, it's a nice reminder of how far you've come but also what work you can do to help him overcome his fears further.

newrider.com