Oops! Fell off Today!

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Had a lesson this morning with a fellow livery.

Worked quite a lot on canter which was fab as I have found it difficult to get a snappy canter transition on the correct leg.

All going swimmingly well, Tobes was doing a lovely uphill sort of canter, when he tripped, went onto his knees and out the side door I went!!!

Its a beautiful arena - if it was a carpet it would be a Wilton! So lovely soft landing, Tobes was looking at me with a horrified look on his face and didn't move a muscle!!!

So whilst no-one likes falling off, I am pleased that I didn't hurt myself, that Tobes who is reactive about stuff behind/beside him didn't boot me one and stood stock still and waited for me to get up and stood beautifully still for me to get on again, and that I didn't get tangled up with stirrup leathers. I think this must be a worry for me somewhere - I thought when I knew I was coming off, I hope I don't get caught in the stirrup, so sub consciously I actually feel better about the whole falling off issue!!

And we went on to canter again around that corner, and no tripping!!

So glad it didn't dent your confidence at all and very well done for getting back on and carrying on regardless. The very first day I wore my gel out seat saver Dolly did the same jumping a small drain (my fault totally not hers)- I actually stayed in the saddle as she fell, went on to her side and then leapt up and carried on cantering....this is now my most favourite bit of kit - I am certain it would have been a quite nasty accident without the stick-ability it gave me. I am recommending it to everyone!:D

Tobes ALWAYS trips over everything! In fact uneven camber on roads causes tripping! We always laugh about it, and generally if I sit tight and still, we always get right and up - he is very athletic and fellow liveries are always amazed that we just get up and keep going!

However, today, just didn't have a hope. A forward canter on a deep surface, just wasn't going to happen - I suspect, mostly my fault - if I am right, he can get both of us up, even if he gets up, and trips again. Today that didn't happen, so whilst he is sloppy and needs a bit of a reminder, probably my fault I came off!

And yes Bodshi, Tobes was actually quite concerned for me!!! Quite peculiar for the thug he is, but he was infinitely less trippy after that episode. Probably thought better look after poor old Mum because no one else will put up with my ways!!

I have done that when a horse tripped in canter. Also in a lesson on someone else's horse. That part is more embarrassing than plopping off your own.

Glad your ok. Mine tends to do odd stumble but that's if tired, or I she is on the forehand

Trewers-a few weeks ago i did a canter course at my RI, my fear disappeared, though now i haven't ridden in a school since so i am getting nervous again! got a lesson on Wed though so bring it on LOL

Has actually made me feel heaps more confident about coming off. Am not saying that I WANT to come off, but in the 5 years I have had Tobes I have come off twice. And he has been exceptionally naughty and I have always felt lucky that I haven't come off - now I have, I realise that I can fall properly - like I did when I was younger, and he isn't going to boot me into next year, but just stands and wonders why I am on the floor.

So in a peculiar way, its actually quite helpful I came off and didn't hurt myself!

newrider.com