Oops ! Went to cattle market and bought a horse !!!

dragonfarmgirl

Oct 26, 2008
cheshire/shropshire
Meet Poppy.
my OH and I went to Beeston market last thursday to look (not buy anything) at Jersey cows in the pedigree sale and as I was wandereing around I saw a horse, in a pen, surrounded by cattle, so had to go and look.
She had such a sweet face and calm temperament I was impressed, especially as I don't normally like thoroughbred types (we have a friesian and a haflinger).
I went to the office to ask what the story was and was told she had been bought in the auction the previous day, but not paid for so was left behind. They were going to keep her there, on her own for a fortnight till the next sale. I didn't like the idea of that but was trying to be sensible about it until OH suggested I could buy her to bring on and sell.
So I checked my bank balance and bought her quick before he could change his mind ! She only cost £550
He is just as bad as he then started bidding on cows and got 3 VERY pregnant jersey cows ! We got them all delivered in the same transport and the horse was good as gold.
So I now have a 4 yr old bright bay mare with no name. I got her on remembrance day so called her POPPY. The only info I have is that she came from ireland, is calm in all situations, good in traffic and jumps.(to be taken with a large pinch of salt) I'm guessing she is about 15.2 and a bit thin.
A friend who's husband is a race horse trainer checked her legs and said there were no damaged tendons etc and that she was prob bred for flat racing, failed to make the grade, and was left in a field then sold in a lorry load over here.
I've put this in NH section as that is what I will be doing with her. I've given her a loose box, a thick turnout rug and non heating conditioning feed to try and get some weight on her before turning her out in the field with the other 2.(after careful introductions)
Well, what a sweetheart. I never thought I would fall for a thoroughbred but I am , and so is OH !!
she is so different from our hairy crew. so silky and dainty !
I've started taking in her food but asking her to move back and wait until I invite her in to my space, I have sat with her and let her come over to investigate me,(which she does very gently), I've given her a treat ball with pony nuts in. I've groomed her and can touch her all over, and picked out her feet (good with front but a bit nervy with the back).
There looks to be an old abscess growing out half way down her hoof but I'm getting her shoes taken off and my barefoot lady to see her in 3 weeks.
I don't know what I'm going to do with her in the end but will just spend next few months getting to know her, doing lots of gentle NH (I mix and match various techniques) to set up trust and communication, then take it from there.
Problem is, what if I can't bear to part with her ?? Oh well, time will tell :D
I will keep you all posted and will prob be asking for your advice along the way.
Oh and of course, here are the photos x

Attachments

• poppy1.jpg
    poppy1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 122
  • POPPY 3.jpg
    POPPY 3.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 115
  • POPPY 5.jpg
    POPPY 5.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 121
  • POPPY 7.jpg
    POPPY 7.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 131
  • POPPY 6.jpg
    POPPY 6.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 120
How could anyone have just left her there!:mad: She looks so needy - cant tell you how happy I am that you have now got her - think she is a heartbreaker with that gentle face. Good luck and look forward to updates:D

She certainly has a gentle face and looks like she's waiting for someone to love her, so I hope you do fall for her and really can't bear to part with her! Look forward to hearing how both of you get on together :)

Thanks everyone for your support. I know it could have gone terribly wrong (and still could) but I have a good feeling about her.
OH says her shoes have been taken off so can go out in the field with the other 2 but he will prob keep her in till weekend as the hunt are riding across our land on Sat so everything is being brought in. Probably better as then they can be stabled next to each other again and get a few more squeals over with.
It is frustrating as I am away until next wednesday and I want to play with her and learn more about her.
I was thinking of asking on here as to what thoroughbreds are like etc but I think I will just take her as she is, with no expectations or preconceptions and let you lot pick up the pieces afterwards :D
Okay, just one question :eek: Are thoroughbreds stronger than they look ? I'm just thinking of the poss kicks they might all give out as they get to know each other in the field. She looks so delicate compared to our 2.
Mind you, they might have trouble catching her...she looks built for speed ! :D

I think the idea of having no preconceptions is a good one!, some of the nicest and most well behaved horses that I have ridden have either been tbx's or full tb x race horse types!

Not too sure what to say about the turnout situation - I think I'd air on the side of caution but you know what your other two are like.

I would try to find out the seller from the auctioneers and see if they can verify her breeding. Has she got a TB passport or just an ID.

Always worth finding out as much as possible about them ,particularly mares in case anyone wants to breed from her later on.

poor sweet little girl, what a fate, left at an auction till the meat man comes next time unless she is lucky.

does she have a passport? if so you can check on her background that way.

just treat her as a poor condition horse, ignore the tb bit, if she is just a baby and too slow they probably haven't messed her up and just let her play all winter, then restart her in the spring summer.

poor girl, it just is so upsetting for a little horse like her to be in that situation, she must have been so scared on her tod.

She can't have raced then, if she wasn't named with Wetherbys. You should be able to still do this if you get in touch with them for a registration form.

How is she bred?

How kind you are to take her home. Poppy looks lovely and I'm looking forward to hearing about how you two get along. Good luck - I think she'll be a sweetie.

newrider.com