OTTB How to start her

RD Walker

Jul 25, 2019
I just got a OTTB and I just want to know how to start her. The lady I got her from basically did nothing with her, and she is so sweet. She is 9 and hasn't been ridden since the track. I tried lunging her and she has no idea what to do. I put my 13 year old on her back for a few seconds and her bottom lip just flutters. I read somewhere that is stress. What are some things I can do with her to make her comfortable and not think she needs to race. I want to start her slow and just want some tips on things I can do with her. Thanks

Hello and welcome. Where you start will depend on your experience with horses in general and your experience with TB,

How long ago did she stop racing was it weeks or months and why did she stop.

What is her turn out pattern now and feed. All this will effect her attitude to you and to work.

I would not put a child on a ottb until I was sure that the horse was happy with an adult

Reactions: Toz
Hello, I hope you like it here and stay around.

I would say that since you don't have any experience with ottbs the best thing for everyone would be to get someone who knows what they're doing to retrain her. Whether that involves sending her away for a few weeks or having someone in on a near daily basis depends on who is in your area and what your facilities are. Look for recommendations and a good reputation though - facebook has it's uses and people like farriers and local tack shops are good for word of mouth - because there are sadly people out there who think they can but really can't.

Personality wise they are often very sweet gentle horses, but their training to date has been very different to that of a normal riding horse and they can be quite sensitive. Far better to gicve her and you every chance by getting the basics in properly.

Hello, welcome! I don't have advice as such, but my YO had an OTTB as a happy hacker. She bought him to race , he was hopeless, then he point to pointed, marginally less hopeless, then she got him back to the yard, as her hack. He was the sweetest most sensible, gentle soul, both in the field and out hacking. The only thing she had to be wary of was cantering on long open tracks, occasionally he'd just go - and I mean go! I hope you enjoy yours as much as she enjoyed dear old Cassie.

I would be getting in some help or sending away to someone with experience of ottb.
I definately wouldn't be putting a child on board a horse that doesn't have a clue what you want, if you don't have much of a clue what you want either.

Why didn't the person before reschool?
Have they just been let down and left?
Did they come out unsound.
Who were they trained by before?

I had a share in one and he's come out of racing. He's being reschooled before he's sold on to his new home.

Hi! I’m currently slowly doing one now.
As above please don’t put a child on board, that could have gone seriously wrong. I’ve been on the receiving end of it!
With mine, I have given him a good amount of time off. He actually retired injured so needed it anyway.
He rehabbed a few months on a walker and box rest, then was turned out 24/7 before I started him in May. We have also had foot issues to contend with so we have taken it slow, there’s no rush with him.
I’m currently hacking him, mainly round the roads to just chill him out and get him to realise this is life now. He’s doing well. We started trotting a bit the past week or so.
I have no plans to start schooling or anything harder than this with him until about September. Firstly it’s too hot and the flies really bother him but mainly I want him to be really confident and relaxed with me and his new job first. He was a very hot buzzy horse but the past 3/4 weeks has turned a corner and is happy.
Take it slowly and yes definitely get pro help if your not used to Ex racers or even TB’s they can be tricky and they know their job.
Good luck

Also bear in mind she may well have never worn a normal saddle and they can feel very structured and restrictive at first and she may not take too kindly to being mounted with a foot in a stirrup!

The lady basically did nothing with her coming off of the track. She kind of neglected the 2 horses I got from her as the other ones hooves were horrible and she has thrush in one hoof. I got the farrier up here and got their feet done and started thrush treatment. Ive had a horse before and took english lessons for years.
I put my daughter on her while holding her on a leadrope with a saddle blanket. Maybe not a good idea but I was holding her and she was just on her for a few seconds and she was fine. Wont do it again though.
I will get someone down here to help me work with her, thank you for all the replies.

Reactions: Toz
You’ll be fine! I think it’s often just common sense with them. Repetition and routine!

The first thing I would do is get a good physio to give her the once over. I would want to know that she is sound and not sore anywhere.

I would then treat her as a baby and start with groundwork. Basic handling and then progressing to lunging and long reining. If you need help teaching her this, get a good instructor to help you.

That is where my expertise would end and I would call in a professional to sit on her and teach her the basics of ridden work. I would most definitely not be putting a child on her back and hoping for the best. Once the professional has installed the basics I would start to ride her myself and continue working with a good instructor to progress her education and experience.

It may cost a few hundred pounds but it’s money well spent in the long run.

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com