Ouch! Western Saddle Help ....Please!!

Kis Vihar

Nutty Saddlers !
Hi!

If you don't know, I'm pretty decrepit:rolleyes: and have rubbish hips, making riding probably the WORST hobby (and JOB!) for me and really uncomfortable! :mad: (Nothing like telling it like it is, is there!!)

I am usually far more comfy riding in a Western saddle, but recently, I've been getting very sore on the seat-bones when riding in my Western saddle. (not sure if losing quite a bit of weight recently has caused the problem too! :rolleyes:)

Does anyone (hope Western-Saddler is on here!) know if you can buy something like the 'Heather Moffett Seatbone Saver' for Western saddles? I have a HM Seatbone Saver on my GP/Dressage saddle and it helps a lot, but the shape is wrong for the Western!

The pain is worse on the right hip, as I have to sit with my right leg further forwards than my left, so I always got 'uneven' soreness if you get what I mean!

I'm hoping someone can suggest something. I rode out on a bareback pad today for an hour or 2, (it lets me sit 'my style'), because I couldn't face my Western saddle. Now I can hardly walk and need to use sticks!

What's the best 'butt-cheek padding'??? Are there any Western 'seat savers'

(....or are all 'cowboys' too tough!!!? :D;)

Anyone??? :)

Would really appreciate the help here!

Thanks!!

:D

The Hm ones are about £50.

I have a hm one, and 2 sheepskin ones, and I actually prefer my sheepskin ones, they are lovely:)

Are there any Western 'seat savers' :D;)
They're not used by real cowboys (read working cowboys) because they just address the root cause of the problem rather than the symptom.

I think that you'll find that the reason for soreness in the hips and seat bones is because your legs, and therefore your hip joints, are not moving normally when you "sit" in a saddle. Sit in one position long enough without moving your lower limbs, and even a youngster will get stiff and sore.

Typically on long rides, experienced Western riders will work their legs fore and aft while riding to flex the hip joints. Or, we'll dismount and lead the horse a half-mile or so to loosen up our hip joints; then re-mount.

This is why Western saddle makers ensure that stirrup leathers swing freely fore and aft, and provide larger stirrups to support more of the foot, such as Monel stirrups.

The fix is in supporting the feet and legs, as you would when not in the saddle, and moving the legs around so that one flexes the hip joints. The padded seat merely addresses the immediate symptom.

Best regards,
Harry

Hi - thanks for the replies!:)

Yes, Harry, the root cause of my problem is my hips don't really move much AT ALL! :eek:

Put it this way, I can sit 'chair seat' bareback for hours, with my thighs 'forwards' and my lower leg 'dangling' from my knees, in walk, trot and canter. When it comes to dismount, it takes 2 other people, one to hold the horse (mine are all taught to lower their heads) whilst I physically (with my hands sometimes) lift one leg forwards over the pommel or horn (depending on the saddle!) and someone else either catches me as I slide down, or lifts me down! I'm lucky my horses are all very well trained by me to understand what the hell is going on when I try and dismount!! I can sometimes keep one of my feet in the stirrup and 'step' down properly (Western style!) but not always!

I don't think my stirrups help - they seem too narrow for my feet, and I an only just stick the tip of my toes in - that doesn't seem quite 'right' now you have told me that the Western stirrups should support MORE of the foot!! Now going to look at the Monel stirrups you recommended. :D

As you are obviously very experienced, can I pick your brain please??!

I like to school and sometimes compete at low level dressage (my Western saddle is permitted as it's about all I can ride in!) but I find that my 'English' trained horses don't 'inside bend' for me as I can't get my inside leg 'on' because of the 'Fenders'. Is it possible to attach ENGLISH leathers and irons to a Western saddle - I can see that it's physically possible, but what I mean is, would it be totally dangerous or stupid? The English guy I live in Hungary with, is a saddler, and can make me anything (...although my side saddle hasn't progressed over the past 3 years....!)

What do you think?

I appreciate the advice.

Thanks for your time!

(Oh, and dismounting and walking for a while, then remounting is a bit difficult, but I can totally see your point! Once I'm 'on the floor' I can't move at all for a while, (yesterday I was left sitting in an undignified heap whilst the horses were put away!!) - then once I'm 'up' on my feet, the hips start 'moving' a bit, then I can limp about with a stick! Remounting would then be agony!!!!)

The seat-saver would probably help a bit - but now you've mentioned the stirrups, I think you may be 'on to something'!!!

Am going to 'check them out'!!

Thanks again!

:D

...would it be totally dangerous or stupid?
Not dangerous nor stupid; although others stuck in their Logic Box may think so. But their Logic Box is their problem...

If the intent of the stirrup leather change is to get a bend, then I suggest that you not change the equipment (an expensive proposition in this case), but change the response of the horse.

Any and every horse is capable of discerning a bend cue coming through the fenders of any Western saddle (or more appropriately, a weighting of the inside seat bone), and bending accordingly; and the Western saddle does not inhibit or restrict bending in of itself, because it sits on top of the horse and does not encase the horse. (Look at the action photos of a cutting horse, and you will see the extreme bending required of the horse to beat the cow in a turn.)

Typically, the lack of bend results from the horse not being trained to bend into a different feel coming with the cue delivered through the Western saddle (verses through the English saddle). If you have to "...get a leg on" then the horse is not responding to a light feel, and that is the training problem to address.

If your goal is to do Dressage using the Western saddle, then just train the horse in the context of the Western saddle, and work on lighter and lighter feel; the saddle will not limit the horse; nor yourself: Cowboy Dressage

The bend is merely a training issue: the horse needs to be re-trained for the feel of the cue coming with the Western saddle.

Best regards,
Harry

...but now you've mentioned the stirrups, I think you may be 'on to something'!!!

Am going to 'check them out'!!
An additional accoutrement usually installed after-market apposite to this issue is a small block of wood mounted inside the stirrup tread. This block of wood supports the in-step of the foot, and contributes to the support of the leg (and hip).

The stirrup shown here has one variety of the block installed.

Best regards,
Harry

I have a Cashel Tush Cushion supplied by KM Elite (check their website - it's UK based). It stays in place really well on a western saddle.

However, I have the same pain as you and have been seeing a McTimoney chiropractor who has been a great help. Apparently it's something to do with the hip / spine joint. Might be worth getting someone to take a look if it persists.

Hi again!

I'm looking into everything! :) I definately think I need to improve my stirrups... mine are too narrow and not supporting my feet and legs! (Thanks Harry!)

I'm still confused about which stirrups I should go for though!

Yokel, I'm going to check out that website now! Not sure a McTimoney practitioner could help me or not - if there was one locally (or one in Hungary ANYWHERE!) I'd certainly give it a try. But basically I had hip joint surgery at 12 years old, then again at 14, and was told I'd need another op in my early - mid 30's - I've had back problems from 2 nasty car accidents and various other cr*ppy health probs over the years, and well, now I'm 34 and I think the surgeon was right!!! (Hence, I'm officially.....decrepit! My nicknames are Hobble & Limp-it!!!!! :p) I see an osteopath who knows my medical history whenever I get back to the UK - out here, it's a bit 'hit and miss' if the practitioners are any good! Although I speak Hungarian, I would still rather discuss medical things in English - and many don't speak English. There's a local Chiropractor, and I asked a friend what he was like - the reply I got was 'dangerous'!!!!!!! :eek:

And Harry, I think I need to PM you to discuss which stirrups you think I need - I'm so confused by them all! CHEAP would be good! ;) This 'finding a way to be comfy on a horse' is costing me a fortune!! :rolleyes:

Thanks again everyone! :)

K

newrider.com