Our first show!! Condition and turnout inhand:))

BonBon85

Dec 17, 2012
So we did it and we came second with a beautiful blue rosette:))) HOWEVER there were only two in the class:((myself a a massive Clydesdale who was ridden:/!! The judge ( who was fairly stuffy to begin with but then seemed to warm up once talking to me:/!!) said it was an almost impossible situation as they were both SO SO different- she said in the end she had to really nit pick and we lost it to the Clydesdale as I should have 'stripped my tail right back so it was exceptionally neat' she did say she was a beautiful stamp of horse though and a lovely looking girl:)) I was a little disheartened but I have to think we went we gave it our best and apparently judges don't HAVE to give you a rosette if they don't feel you deserve it so that made me feel a little better!!! All in all I'm proud of my birdy and she coped very well with being around so much hussyle and bustle considering she hasn't been to a proper show for over three years- very calm in ring- though slight melt down walking back down drive as couldn't see behind hedge in adjacent field and horses/ boxes etc were parking, unloading etc and she had a spinning/ spooking frilly all the way back to her box- sometimes I wonder if a shows on home turf is it more confusing for them as the fields we were in are normally empty apart from some cows on occasion, so maybe a little too much for her to deal with the change??I don't know?? Anyway here are some pics- excuse my double chin(s)!!!!!!!!!!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372605607.554978.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1372605617.200415.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1372605630.517975.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1372605646.199761.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1372605657.881339.jpg

Last edited:
Hey well done! It doesn't matter how many were in the class, it sounds as though you got lovely comments from the judge. And your girl certainly looks gorgeous and you look very smart.

But - did you have FUN?!

Oh well done BB. And don't you both look so smart! Who cares if you didn't win, its the experience that is what you're there for. I got more from seeing how my horse reacted to everything, than the rosette itself (although some ribbons are always welcome lol!)
So have you caught the bug, and if so whens the next one? And will you give riding a go at it?!

I am noticing that showing classes have less numbers this year. Unless that's just me.

Looks like lovely weather and judging ridden against in hand I never fully get to be honest. The ridden tends to have the upper hand being able to show canter.

If the class was inhand I think if the other horse was ridden then you should have won on the obvious :banghead:

I think she looks gorgeous and the comments are great plus she behaved so be proud not disheartened :biggrin:

did they combine the classes due to low entries - i.e.inhand & ridden - it is quite usual at some levels - that said the turnout is nice and if it came down to the tail trim presentation then you did alright - you know what to do for next time - sound as if you got a lot out of the day and thats good - we do a lot of shows just for getting experience or measuring up and a place is a bonus on those times - a win is:dance: - but its not everything - good luck for the next one and well done for today!

Congratulations! You both look incredibly smart and well turned out, you should be very proud of yourself.

For what it's worth, IMHO, showing is always subjective, it is not cut and dried like showjumping, fence is clearly up or down, so it is really not worth wasting energy on things you have no control over, like's the judge's decision. Judges quite often have a type, or a particular thing they look out for, I went to a showing clinic run by the BHS, the judge there said her thing was hooves, but another judge said hocks, all subjective.

My view is, if we go in and do the best we can on the day, then any rosette on top of that is icing on the cake. Worry about the things you do have control over and not those you don't :biggrin:

Sorry, read that back, sounds a bit patronising, not meant that way at all!

Ah thank you all for lovely comments:)) you are always so great and know just what to say !! And LOL gingerruby I know you weren't being patronising at all!! So did I have fun??? Well yes I did when I was in there I enjoyed the actual doing it bit as she was impeccably behaved so that helps;)!! I enjoyed the plaiting up but the fact she lost as her tail wasn't hair perfect and one of her keepers had come loose, I checked them ALL before going in:/!, well I get why she had to be so just so but for me?? No I don't think so, I don't think I could put so much money and effort in every time just to not be the 'type' the judge likes:/!!! But the actual getting out and doing things I did like!! So I'm watching a trailer on eBay and once brought I'm off to do a walk and trot at my local centre- with dressage I'm competing with myself and at least have scores to work on each time to improve;)!! Showings a tough world and kudos to those who do it and are too if their game that must take ALOT of hours and knowledge!! I will do a ridden show maybe a jumping class of sorts but I'm glad we've at least done something finally;)!!! Oh and here's a pic of us and our ribbon;)!!!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372691845.377420.jpg

newrider.com