Our Gang 2013.........

another week over - where does it go - the weather has turned - the boys paddocks full of water again and very slippery so they came up to the yard yesterday - have managed to get them out for there build up walks and they are fittening/muscling up nicely - just hoping the promised frost doesn't cause too much disruption re frozen roads - we are coming into week 4 and just upping the pace with trotting included and lunge twice a week - Acorn will get the long rein as he works better on that.

The girls arw still on the hill - bottom of which is water logged and pond sides are just mud!

Sun is now shing but its brrrr:cold:

Mothers day today - as yet nothing has arrived as girls not coming till later, every year I say save your money maybe they have taken me at my word:giggle:

must get some photos for March - keep forgetting camera - old age appears to be catching up with me memorywise.

Another week over and the fields are flooded again -boys up at the yard - still getting turnout most days but top paddock is trashed - bettwer that than the summer paddocks being trashed before it starts (if it starts!). The girls are back on the hay field courtesy of Tess who manged in the mud to get a foot in the bottom of the low tape pannicked and took the dividing section of electric fencing down - less than a minute she managed to snap 6 posts , all I could see was her running bucking and farting followed by pinging posts and rope and tape - she managed to get free leaving behind chaos and none of the 4 paddocks free of damage - Nuts on seeing it unfurl pelted up the field and waited for things to return to some form of normaily -it has taken me 4 hours to put it all back - but they are staying where they are for this week until the wet hopefully stops ! this week is not looking good weatherwise- on a good note we have loaded Charlie today - boxed completely and he was fne - just stood like a dream - his first show soon - but fitness training has suffered thanks to weather - .

Healthwise all okay - although Tess is a little stiff after her clash with the fence - boys are due to be trimmed on Friday.

here we are again - the good news is that the fields have almost dried up again - the otherside of the coin we have snow & ice! The sun is shing but will the gale force easterly that been blowing and gusting for the past 3 days I can't get warm - the boys went out for an hour this morning under must protest- bucking and farting spooking in it, Charlie manged to get a foot in the electric fence- scared himself silly but thankfully had his turnout boots on so no cuts - so bath back in again - not that they are bothered they must be the wimpiest natives around - on leaving popped head over door and got the usual expanse of backside a turn of the head- evil eye which tells me to sod off and goes back to hay!

The girls are foraging on the frozen hill - tried to put a flap out this morning but one mouthful and the rest is probably in west yorkshire by now. theymanaged their buckets so at least they have something in bellies - both have enough on them so no way arey starving as much as they might want you to think they are.

The boys had feet trimmed on friday night - both fine .

fittening up for showing has ground to a halt thanks to the weather - so with 4 weeks to go its a bit of a sod! 2 shows around here cancelled this weekend - lets hope not a repeat of last year.

April here already - we have Sun - its dry but so :cold:

The boys went back upto the field on Saturday and now out 24/7 - the girls have been moved off the 4 acres and are now in a 1 acre paddock pre empting some grass growth ( or maybe I am just wishful thinking). everything is sparse and nothing really moving- the hawthorne has very small buds but appears to have shut down again - have started up fittening again with the boys - 2 mile walks on the hills last 2 days - left Acorn pelting round his paddock today - wanting to be in with the girls and def not happy with me leaving him on his own - hen can touch all 3 over the fence but just not good enough in his eyes - I am a mean mummy! for his own good - if the grass does spurt no way is he being in an acre to stuff his face - we have 2 paddocks resting and hopefully will produce some grass this month for when the girls have to come off their current field - way its going we will be getting more hay in. having to suppliment the boys still a flap each over the day - they can pick at whats left but not enough to keep them good.

Acorns first show is end of this month so he will be worke every day now - Nuts is supposed to be going at the moment she is still in full coat - noticed yesterday the guard hairs just starting to shed - tink she will be mid shed for the show :unsure: she may end up just doing young handler.

Must get some photos - that :cold: just can't seem to get motivated.

this week we have had cold frost mornings and warmish sunny days - normally a nightmare time for management as grass is in in full spurt but to date that has not happened - stiil giving the boys hay in the field.

managing to work the boys every day - yesterday we took them up the hills for a ouple of miles out and they enjoyed it - took acorn on the long rein- he seems to enjoy working either ridden off the lead or on long reins and is far more active that way - did some good trotting up hills which can only help with muscle build up.

This morning Emma came through and spent a couple of hours with the ponies - she hacked out for 1/2 hour on the roads off the lead and managed her first trot off the lead on her own - we are spending the hacking out time as schooling for both her and Acorn - they are both very novice so teaching each other - we are reinforcing hand and body position and balance so she gets the best out of him - he has a naturally good outline in walk and she needs to maintain that without leaning or oulling at all on the reins working through her body rather than using her hands as balance and its coming together nicely - She has cracked turning him properly and steering - shes very slight so needs more core strength so he can feel her seat- halt is getting better as he starts to understand what she wants - Lead rein hes push button due to years of in hand so its getting him to understand rider aids without any help from me - he loves going out but hates the flinty debris we have on the roads at the moment so can be a bit too careful - where the roas are clean hes brilliant and forward going.

Nuts is in with Acorn today leaving Tess in the paddock on her own in preparation for when we strip graze - Tess needs more than the others so has to spend time n her own graing areas when others are restricted, in the main she fine with it - she had a fence walk when Charlie went out today but on thw whole she has settled back to this routine quite well.

Emm did some in hand work with Nuts she is learning her figure of 8 inhand show - shes getting there - for 6 I am really pleased with her, we introduced the cane today - and she had a lesson explaining the carrying and when used as an aid - she understands its an aid and not to be used to reprimand at all - she knows the first time she did would be the last , she feels quite grown up to be trusted with it - over this season we will teach her on its use
wether she will carry it in the ring will depend on how we feel she copes- little hands and lead rein means not too much room left for the cane at the moment but shes keen to learn. she spent some time with the shedder on both of them - one very hairy child returned to Mum!

Riding always starts with a lesson in tacking up and mounting and ends with a lesson in untacking - fiddily but she knows what to do and is getting better each time - saddle easier than bridle as far as buckles go.
really good day today with lots of positives - only her second go with them since end of last season - she has first show in a fortnight so will only get one more go with them - its a pity she can't get more often but not possible due to location, mums working and school- roll on the holidays weather permitting she can come and stay for a week and get some quality time in.

I must make an effor and get some April pics - March went out of the window as far as my photo records go!

damn computer - just typed up my weekly update and damn thing crashed - so starting agin:stomp:

the week has been much of the same, ponies all outand well, lots of shedding going on - we have had a small ammount of rain last couple of days which has started the grass:dance: will keep an eye on it but at last can hopefully see an end to having to feed hay.

Its very windy today - but a warmer wind thank god! Emm came for her Lesson - she got him into trot herself today - she is having to stregthen her lower legs to get him to feel her aids but shes doing well shes such a slight little thing - but don't want her flapping and kicking him to achieve transition so will just keep working on it- plenty of time - she getting their with hands - shes good on maintaining position, just one hand tipping the ice cream now and then but shes quick to correct when reminded, we just need to teach acorn steady trot rather than race trot - so for prolonged up downs I put her back on the lead - its difficult with them both being green but we will take our time and get it right - no rush - she spent some time inhand with nuts and has her standing straight front feet - just one back not square but again will come right with practice. We have first show next weekend so the 3 sessions she has had since last September are it - just wish she could get more in but we have what we have - no facilities over winter and weekend in summer and then roads,field or at a show - we use every opportunity as a lesson, one thing he won't get stale.

we have been working on shedding - everything covered in hair!

We have farrier in the week for all of them - Charlie is doing well and he has his first show in a couple of weeks, Tess is looking much better - getting a shape rather than hairy mammoth look which makes her look Fat.

well think thats it from our end - busy week ahead .

anoither week over, feet all done and fine, grass starting to come through albiet very slow - Nuts and Tess had a bath yesterday - Nuts is in season and both her and Acorn were quite a handful today for our first show of the season at the York shetland group show- just up the road for us, they travelled fine- we had a major tantrum from Nuts at a stallion who got a little too close - she was on her toes all day and wound Acorn up - we did 4 classes - didn't get placed in the breed in hand classes but not suprised there - manners not top form today - Emma did lead rein with Acorn and was 6th - judge said only problem was he was too sharp - which I expected - you do not canter in lead rein - he was so strong that I daren't run him out in trot as he was not listening and would have been off at any given opportunity - he will make a cracking FR or open ridden once Emm is confident enough on her own - but she did well at 6 to sit to his antics!
Next was the young handler class - at 6 she was youngest in the class and had a very uptight stoppy mare on the end of the lead - she did really well and was placed 3rd out of 5 and was more than pleased to get her £2 prize money which promptly went on an ice cream after her class, only her and nuts 3rd show together and the other two were fun shows rather than affiliated, she had to do a little show set by the judge including going through two bins and then backing her up 2 steps -which she managed and we had not practised! he asked her few questions the only one she stumbled on waswere are the ponies withers - I can see a lesson in anatomy coming up although how much at 6 she will rember i don't know -we will just introduce different points during her lessons.

anyway thats it for another week - we have Chalies first show next weekend so that should be fun!

this week not exactly gone to plan - weather cold again, wind/rain/hail with sun inbetween - grass barely moving - farmer decides to put a trench through the resting paddock so little ones have been on hay all week - the long awaited permanent dividing fencing has gone up - and today is the day the heiffers are going in the other side - Tess's worst nightmare COWS! lucklily only young stock and small breed and only 4 of them - I have left the electric up away from the fence run until she settles! Trench is now backfilled but paddock a bit of a mess - every cloud we now have a tap near the field gate rather than having to trek up the hill!

Today we should be out showing with Charlie - we have had to change plans as got him up to the yard for bathing yesterday and he totally lost his head- combination of not having done this for 18 months having last year off due to feet and the wind tunnel at the yard with intermittent hail/rain! we decided not tp presure him don't want to send him backwards - disapointed but there are other shows - he ended up having a hot cloth bath ,and tail wash and then turned him out - we decided to make the most of today so this morning brought him up to the yard - no wind and Sun although cold and groomed him, booted him up and took him out in the trailer for a 20 minute ride, first since August 2011 - little star - walked straight on the trailer - shouted and stamped a bit for first 5 minutes and then settled - when opened groom door he was stood calmly - walked down the ramp no problems, so we will work on him again next weekend ready for his Welsh Show in May.Shame hes looking good - but a couple of weeks will help with the coat loss and a couple of extra weeks toning won't hiurt.

May already - no grass to speak of but at least we have some warmer weather and Sun - although that due to change mid week so we have made the most of it.

the gang are all well, Acorn and Nuts are speding the day with Tess and tonight
Charlie is in with her - will swap around in the morning -she seems to have come to terms with her new neighbours and was grazing the fence line tonight with the calves at the other side - its taken a week but sure havong Company in the field who are accepting of most things has helped. Its good to see her more relaxed.

Took Nuts for a long walk out on Saturday, well trot as she likes to go on a mission and enjoys getting out and about.

Sunday we went showing with Charlie and everything positive - hes had today off but its back to work tomorrow for him.

Monday Emm came and she had a short lesson in the field and then hacked out for sn hour - brilliant morning - shes wanting daughter to tack Tess up so they can go out further - it seems to be amusing that Nanna should get a bike and go with them - Can you even ride a bike Nanna at your age was what she said between laughing - oh but you could use Grandads scooter couldn't you if hes not using it - not quite sure I visualised myself religated to mobility just yet - I expect I will end up walking:unsure:

Ah well back to work tomorrow so will go and drag my bones up the stairs whilst I still can:wink:

A quiet week - started off warm & sunny and downhill from there - its pouring down now but shouldn't complain what rain we have had has been needed, grass is starting to grow and I have Nuts & Acorn grazing with Tess on the winter field during the day and in the next to nothing paddock on a night so have another paddock resting which we are using for Lunging and riding.

Charlie is on his fittening programme again and its showing, a couple more weeks till his Welsh show so should be good to go so long as nothing interupts it.

Emma came today and we took her out for a hack - she is getting more and more confident with him - we finished off in the paddock so she could practise her aids and control more - all positive and she put a few trots in today - he can be strong in the field so its important she gets his respect - daughter is working with them on this and getting there - hes brilliant on the road so we need that to transfer to the field, her little brother came and had a lead round - hes not got the same natural ability that Emma has so hes wobbly through his core and nods around like a teddy - he has attention span of a gnat so some work to do with him if he wants to follow Emm - it will be up to him, he likes the idea but not sure about the work!

Nuts is in season which has turned Acorn into a bit of a :poop: it took us five minutes to catch him - normally hes a straight on the bridle chap - obviously thinks hes still got his bits! so we took them out for a hack first to get his head straight - needn't have worried he was fine.

Tess is happy just being herself - shes getting Company in with her during the day - and she is no longer worried by the cows or calves so we have harmony.

well its stopped raining fornow so going to feed up before it starts again - then feet up for me.

less than 2 weeks to daughters wedding so its all systems go now - busy few days in every way!

Well late updating this week, busy with Wedding now - weather has been a mix - not sure what has happend but Acorn has an injury, not quite right yesterday so took him up to the yard for a good check over, feet washed out and sprayed - good groom and kept him in for the day - which he was not happy about, put him out last night and he seemed fine, got up to the yard this morning and he was flat out - not like him - but he got up as soon as he heard me, but it was obvious something was wrong as soon as he moved.
he has heat in the groin area and hard tense muscles in that area and is not so much lame as stiff in the back end - hes eaten his bucket feed which is a positive, I have left out in the bottom next to nothing area with Hay , rubbed aloe vera gel into muscles on both undersides of back legs and groin and left him to potter on his own, Nuts was in with Tess yesterday and I left her there and Charlie is on his own anyway. I toyed with idea of some bute but decided to wait until tonight - don't want him to suddenly feel better hoon around and make it worse, so tonight he will get some bute if needed, will be keeping a close eye for any changes - have checked for pulses and heat and nothing thank goodness, hes standing up straight enough and has backward stretch movements on both back legs a bit tight on the hot leg on forward so am thinking more he has a muscle injury in the groin area - from past events will keep him out as confining him usually causes bigger problems - I am sat a work worrying as thats what I do - will go straight up to the field tonight and check him. the others are all fine, there are a lot of skid marks in the field from the other night when weather was bad so my thinking in he has done it then.

hectic week here , wedding on Friday - windy but dry and the sun came out great day thats both of them off my hands:smile: so nothing much done leading up to then - Acorn is on the mend but have decided to call off his show 2nd June to give him more time and be sure - Nuts has gone back in with him - but she will come out when shes in season to prevent any further injuries- Busy fencing on Saturday and Tess now move off winter field onto the noe plentiful
rested paddock so shes happy - finally got the hosepipe rigged up for water again at the field so not having to carry it again - its been really hot hear last few days - we took Charlie out to his Welsh breed show today - more positives - travelled much better and no bucks in the ring today slight slip into canter on his show but manners much better less figgeting in the line - need to work on run out extension otherwise went nicely he hadn't been worked for 3 days due to wedding so wasn't expecting high things in his first step up - numbers low and we ended up with 3rd (only 3 in class ) but he behaved at the ground and coped with the hustlle & bustle and those Welsh D flying around him - local showing is much more Fun- more relaxed - but we need to take him up a gear now see what he can achieve -
I am now kna88ed and need a rest- thinking about putting a roller on Nuts this week and see how she reacts:unsure: Well updating this to I have put the roller on Nuts and othe than not sure look on buckling up she was fine - so will see if I can get her lunging on the halter with it on and go from there - never too old even at 19 ! we did some inhand practise with it on and shes very good bless her -

Last edited:
this week is funny weather wise, been quite wet and windy and cold at times,
none have been worked since Monday due to it but hopefully from tomorrow good to go, Acorn is still not quite right although hes getting the Gel applied once a day now, hes not coped too well with the rain, he was shivering again this morning when I went up, soon sorted after he ate his bucket feed and a bit of hay to line him - hes cheeky as ever in himself though - he never tolerates rain/wind when hes shed most of his winter coat but don't really want to rug when he is still recovering from his injury- ah well set to warm up so hopefully that will help - reckon another week off.

others are all fine, Tess has had her injections so has been mardy since, she was so busy being nosey Vet had her done before she had time to protest - face on her!

Going up to have a look at a pony at the weekend, 12.3hh 8 yrs ex driving but Loss of use for driving , have been asked if we can have a look as owner thinks she will do well FR or a bit in hand and if she is would we be able to take her out with one of ours for them - going with open mind and if she is will want to know a bit more about the Loss of use attached - shes used in the Riding School but can only do LR of beginners she won't Canter - only ever trotted! which is fine for us - we won't have anything to do other than show prep and take out so thinking if it works out might be good for Emm to work on whilst she is getting to grips with little:poop: off the lead. Of course not seen her yet some peoples opinion of an SP can be a little rose tinted.

June and a glimpse of summer!

Busy day today - Charlie had the saddle fitter - something the great wuss was not too sure about - not straightforward( no suprise there) - she did get his profile and we have a report - no saddle as yet - would appear we are looking at a fylde or ideal ramsey 15 1/2" - 16" wide, if another make 151/2" - or made to measure - brought a 16" with her ( not fylde or ideal) and not suitable - so we are trying to track down a 2nd hand one as is she - once we have she will come back and fit - shes also going to try and sell the 17" Ideal WH we have -
she has also recommended someone who we can contact to restart him for uswe had planned this but you hear of so many horror stories we hadn't moved further on it - nothing will happen until we have the saddle and we are going to get his back checked as well - there is some tension there - its not affecting movement but we want to be sure he is completely happy on re backing - in the meantime his work on the ground has resumed in earnest and he is loving it!

Tess will start her exercise plan tomorrow.

Acorn is much better - I took him out for a 5 minute inhand walk on the road today - stil a bit stiff on turn but otherwise very alert and forward in walk.
Must have helped as tonight he was trotting all over the field with no problem on turn - managed to give me a nudge up the backside nearly tipping me in the water bucket:giggle: I think we may have his usual issue of lack of muscle on the o/s which means lack of support for his stifle - he will go out again tommorrow for same ammount and then slowly build up time till full fitness is resumed - hes on the right road so thats good.

Nuts went out for a 2 mile walk and as usual loved every minute of it - will take her on a different route tommorrow with the roller on, the saddle will go on next week. I am leaving the bitting until I am sure she is going to be okay with rider - no point otherwise as for in hand shes fine on the headcollar.

One thing my bones don't gettime to seize up:wink:

Must get some photos - still have some winter coat left on Nuts and Acorn
but the summer coats are winning now.

All exercised today - Acorn is continuing to improve - still on 5 mins straight line active walk - same again tommorrow then will up it to 10 minutes a day - hes trotting in the field and there is no heat in the muscles befor or after exercise so happy with that.

We went to see the mare today - 12.3hh 8 yrs bay - checked passport (Driving society) and she is Loss of use for driving a tendon injury - we stood her up and walked her out, put her through in hand paces and she knows her job very aimable and showing would say she in P/Bred Welsh - pretty head and nice temperament.
We watched her being worked in the school ridden - as would expect she had a high head carriage in trot but they are working on it - shes learning to canter and a bit bucky going in but ridden through transition once settled she canters nicely - right lead and head position is good - we are thinking lead rein for Emma so we can concentrate on Acorn and her for first ridden as Acorn is too sharp on the lead, so the canter issue is not a concern for us.
have arranged for Emma to come next weekend and we will try them together and then make a decision. If it works out then we will take her out with Nuts to a local show and see how it goes. We have also got free use of the menage to work the others in even if we don't use her - but I have a good feeling - shes being used in the RS lightly but a young girl is bringing her on with help of an instructor so they can use her a bit more but that will take time as progress is steady and they are not rushing her- will need to iron out finer details if we go ahead - they will keep her fit we will do show prep etc, we couldn't do it if we had to deal with her FT as having the 4 already time is managed to keep then right.
will see how it goes next weekend.

:wavespin:Sun is shining :dance: ponies all fine this morning and I am back to work and feeling quite positive for a Monday Morning, looking foward to getting up to the field tonight and exercising the 2 Shetlands - Charlie was lunged this morning.

Going to weightape them all, interesting fact from saddle fitter when she came - to add 20% onto weightape figure to get Weighbridge figure so that means on last weigh tape ( disgusted with myself was 6 weeks ago!)

Acorn 150kg - with +% = 180kg
Nuts 200kg - = 240kg - looking slimmer now so hoping for better
Charlie 280kg = 336kg (Saturday) not a scrap of fat on him
Tess 390kg = 468kg

Now according to that if I strip them back to perseved recommended weight they are going to look like Welfare Cases, will add the 20% when travelling and trust my judgement for the weight management in conjunction with my tape - Question really is do I continue to worm according to tape or with the +20% - answers on a postcard!

hot, hot hot! Not complaining but having to walk 2 out everday means 2 hours of sweating for me - Nuts is looking good toning nicely - Acorn as he is on controlled walk build up is obviously putting more in( off fresh air paddock I might add) than hes putting out and is a bit barrelly - could do to walk out twice a day really but working means times limited during the week - hes coming on nicely but still not 100%.
Charlies fine and full of it.

Tess is Tess and has not lost anything but not put anymore on and shes topped the paddock now so a reduction should occur this week hopefully - flies are out but not bothering them too much at moment.

Winter field is growing well but has a covering of buttercups - bloody things.

If we don't have to go back on it farmer will get a cut of hay off it for the cows and then hopefully we will get a grass covering ready for winter.

Emma came today and she had a go on the Mare we have been offered for LR

she did well for first time - big difference in movement from a 9hh shetland to a 12.3 Welsh x - walks fine as you would expect but it tooksome time to adjust the trot - we ended up getting her to hold the saddle whilst she could get the rythem - she got it holding saddle so left it at that - next week we can progress from there - she looks good but very small on her - have some pics but not got them off daughter yet.

anyway bedtime for me - back to work tomorrow would much rather be on hols!

Last edited:
Another week over, weather wise its been good, a few heavy showers but not enough to cause issue........

youngest daughter had her operation on Friday so I have had the Grandchildren most of the weekend, and the other two on sunday so we have had a lot of noise! all quiet now and back to work.

We have grass coming thick and fast and are having to alternate the ponies between the nowty paddock and the other paddocks - so Charlie gets the Nowty during the day and the bigger paddock over night and Acorn and Nuts
get the Nowty overnight and a tiny bit more covered paddock during the day - they get a little bit of hay thrown in during the day and currently all well. Tess has mowed down her paddock and is now strip grazing down the field.

We have free use of the menage at the RS early mornings so Charlie had his first lunge workout in it this morning, we have managed to get a saddle for him so just waiting for the saddle fitter to come back at somepoint this week , hopefully it will do the job - shes one of the highest qualified fitters/saddlers in the Country so whatever happens if this one is not right or can't be made right then she will tell us, its a lovely 15 1/2" Jeffries show saddle in really good condition - so hoping it does - we haven't paid the earth for it as it should resell okay if not. if it fits then next week we start rebacking.

Acorns started his build up exercise again so hopefully we will get him started for first ridden again quite soon, Emm will be pleased - she spent an hour on Sunday putting Nuts through her in hand paces a bit of that telling Acorn off for being a pain!

Sunday Morning was Emm's second time on April, and as we thought straight on and after one go round for reminder of balance holding the saddle, we have put coloured training reins on, showed her where she needs to move her hands to for collecting the rein in trot for balance , reminders on the foot position and yes we have sucessful rising trot, she practised her lead rein show figure of 8 and daughter is exhausted having spend the whole hour either walking or mostly running around, she managed by the end to open and extend April and they look good - I was really pleased as Emm listens and
by keeping position her hands hardly moved meaning a steady but light contact on the bit, no pulling or sawing and April is slowly starting to drop and maintain her head in trot - we finished on a good note and will practise now until a suitable show class comes up, the problem we have that most SHP LR classes are either 122cm or 12.2 max so at 12.3 she is out of height,
their are a few classes around where any height applies so those are the ones we will be looking to do - but for confidence giving for Emm it is brilliant.
It leaves Acorn free to be produced for FR with Emm and hopefully we can get Nuts going - Thomas is now looking to ride as well so think I am going to be kept busy and not retiring from LR as I had hoped.

All ponies where trimmed on Thursday night and all is well there - a lot more growth this time as expected thanks to the grass.

We also had a happy event, the mare next door had her foal Saturday teatime, a lovely filly, I missed the birth again but got there to watch her finally stand and take her first milk bar visit - shes getting stronger every day and was jumping around the field this morning inbetween bar visits and sleeps!
The Kids loved seeing her yesterday - first time they have seen one only a few hours old.

The Sun is shining and its warm and good forcast for most of week so should get plenty of work done on a night-

Last edited:
newrider.com