Our Gang 2013.........

t his week has ended up a bit of a wash out - a few nice days start of week and then slowly downhill - today it has lashed it down so no riding for Emm today - the bottompaddocks have standing water - luckily I have manged to sort some more paddocks so Tess has moved over and the littlies will move to where she has been in the morning - dry week forcast so hopefully we will get more done next week.

Saddle fitter has been and the saddle we got fits so we will be able to restart Charlie soon, she will come back out once hes rebacked to make sure no changes required.

A week of ups and downs - Charlies not himself and is looking like a pollen allergy -now on meds and can start working him again mid week.

Acorn - is now fit again took him out a couple of times in the week and today he and Emma had a lesson in the field and then a short hack out - coming on nicely.

Nuts had the sadlle on for the first time today and Emma has sat on her and had a walk round the field - just love this little mare what a good nature she has - she will now be bitted - leaving it on for increasing lengh of time each day so hopefully by next weekend she will be ready for Emm to start her

good weekend as far as Emm and the ponies go:biggrin:

Tess is fine - gave her a good groom yesterday which she loved! a bit of me time for the old lady...

didn't update at the weekend so thought would fill in now - funny old week - really hot so not done much until the weekend - Charlies meds are working so other than on the really hot/high pollen days hes fine - although this Monday we went and hes showing short on his hind - looks like hes tweaked something on his hock so hes getting the blue ice on twice a day, getting better swelling going down and heat almost gone - luckily hes not hooning about due to the heat so will just let him potter about - weightaped him this morning to make sure the lack of work is not affecting him, seems fine and hes 275kg so although looking out of shape due to no work the weight itself is okay - can feel his ribs .

the other three are fine - we had farrier out last night to the boys for their 4 weekly trims - no problems to report there so thats good.

Hay in otherside of field has been cut and turned , think it may have been baled today - so no worries out winter rations this year, field owner didn't cut the girls winter field this year as they grazed it so late due to the late grass coming through - Tess has access to it during the day and is selecting the best bits - shes trim though as shes obviously walking round it plenty during the process - she was ridden both days at the weekend and is going out again this weekend - shes been hanging around in a morning I think in the hope she may be going out .

Acorn is fine and coming on now with Emm for off the Lead, Nuts has been backed with no problems so her LR training starts - was to be this weekend but we have a family do now on Sunday so will have to miss a week with rider but will try and do something (prob long rein) at the weekend.

I really need to kick myself up the backside and get the stables cleaned out and washed and disinfected, I normally have them done by now, I am having the kids during the School Holidays (all 4 of them - and yes in a moment of madness I did volunteer!) so might wait and set them on will keep them occupied - we will prob all end up very wet.

Looks like it might be August before we get a show in now, although tbh not missing it - no fun showing in tweed in 27 degrees. never bloody happy missed most of them last year due to injury or rain - these year its injury and Sun!

well Chralie has an abcess byt has managed to go backwards with his back leg so hes in resting it - weezing has stopped thanks to his meds - so busy poulticing - its drawing nicely and hes sound on it.

Tess is sweating she started growing her winter coat in the stupid cold spell and hasn't fully shed it - so did both shetties but not as bad -

Nuts is fine and loving her walks out on the bridle .

Emm had a lesson yesterday - much progress we got the poles out and she trotted over them on her own - but we have established an issue - he follows either myself or my dughter but is not keen going on his own - more like hes not sure - she manged to get him going and into trot but he showed his unpredictable green side by throwing in a buck which emm sat to, but then into canter which she hasn't done, she stayed on but was inbalanced so he decided to take advantage and spin - exit Emm out of side door - unfortunatley she forgot what we had told her - let go of the reins so she got dragged a few feet till she remembered , just a small graze to her arm - she was laughing till she spotted her war wound then we had a few tears, but back on and we finished on a good note.

but it made my mind up I have to get on and getting him ridden away and knowing what to do aids wise - so having the day off today I took the plunge, only problem was I forgot we have child stirrups on so for the first time in near on 10 years and my 60th looming up I went ahead - he stands like a dream at the block making my getting on easy - could get on off the floor but less pressue on him by using the block - interesting is the word I would use - only 5 minutes or so but worked on him moving off and stopping and standing , he now knows he has to stand still until either I get off or walk him on - he tried running off a couple of times but I am not Emma so he gave up and did as he was asked - I used the pad and it was suprisingly comfy - I had ther numnah under it- but very much like bareback - quite suprised how I remembered everything and balance was not bad - next time its the stirrups so I can do a bit more than walk. Didn't appear to have an issue with me on his back - but then again I am only very lightweight. Quite looking forward to the next time,hadn't realised how much I missed been onboard. No pics as on my own - I decided if I was going to make a prat of myself it was for my entertainment only.:giggle:

Not an eventful week so a bit of peace, Charlie is back out 24/7 , off the bute and the poultice is off - still gelling his back leg but other than a tiny bit of puffiness on the hock hes not showing any problems, will leave him to plod about for a week to build himself up - hes not been silly so thats good- his ventipulmin is currently been reduced down to half and the suppliment we have for him is being introuced at comparative rate so far no problems on that score, fingers crossed no more issues, we have had quite a bit of rain (like most) at the moment the ground is soaking it in so not slippy, if looks like it might then will put his turnout socks on just to provide some protection and support on his back legs. The hair on the patches on his backside are growing back, all in all a better week for him.
The other 3 are fine, managed another short training sesson on Acorn at the weekend, Emm had something on so she will be back next weekend so I will try and get another session on Saturday before she comes. Hes doing well now on the calmness and only tried the once rush off but came back nicely, we are in walk at the moment, doing stops, standing , walks, turns and starts
Did nice figure of 8 in walk with not bad outline, hes starting to come down on the bit more now - will start introduing trot this weekend and see how we get on - he knows the aids to go in although tbh with my leg position it will be more from the seat than them with a voice aid - I will get Emm to back those up with the legs and then drop the voice, educating these littlies is quite an experience.

I sat on Nuts , she is so green so has no idea what an aid is although we can turn and go backwards - and have standing stock still to a fine art:wink:
We do not go forwards however much encouraged bless her - we will work on that with Emma - Nuts is so much wider than Acorn .

a bit busier few days for us - yesterday had me schooling the little man and was day1 of walking Charlie out again following his 6 weeks off - this went well , today we have had a long day at the field , Son in law and OH have put a small shed up for us to store a few bales in for winter - Charlie has been out for his walk and is now back in his normal paddock, much to his delight and Tess's
a lot of mutual grooming going on.

Emm came through and had a good lesson Acorn in the field - no dumping this week - hes much more responsive to her now which means my work on him is paying off - it gives her more confidence so she is stronger with him and is now getting on top of his mick taking - hes realising he has to do as asked - not what he feels like:wink: she finished off with a hack up the road and a good long trot - so she was happy - we then saddled Nuts up and did a short lead rein session - finished with an enthusistic trot - Emm worked her on a loose rein this session we will work on contact as Nuts becomes more profficient.

so all in all a good few days - we have rain forcast over next 24 hours , I have day off tommorrow so thats about right!

a few photos from today

Attachments

• Emm 006.jpg
    Emm 006.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Emm 004.jpg
    Emm 004.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 4
  • Emm 009.jpg
    Emm 009.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 5
Well missed an update but been busy this end - having a bit of a time with Charlie and his abcessing - the other are curretly fine - we were busy last weekend putting a small shed up at the field to pout some hay in and constructed a smalllean to shelter at the side for the shetties to get under in he hope we can keep Acorn out a bit longer over winter - knowing him he won't use it but at least we can put their hay under it and keep it dry - another selfish reason Its somewhere I can get under out of the weather if needs be, suspect it will be more used by me than them!

Emm missed last week for riding although I did get him out - I missed this week but Emm came today and hacked out on Acorn with daughter and Tess, we also tacked Nuts up and other daughter took Thomas out on her on the lead rein so with me as Emms foot soldier we had a great family ride out- all behaved themselves whilst out - back in the field Emm decided she wanted to try a trot - well the little shit has other ideas - a twist and a good protest buck and Emm came out the side door - quite hard on her side luckily not far to drop - a few tears but straight back on and I walked him round - Mum was having a fit ( which is why she tends not to come to lessons) but she did manage not to react and let me deal with the situation - Thomas wanted to know why she let go of the reins - lesson learnt from last time when she was dragged so she learnt from that fall - I got on him after Emm
no stirrups and the little sod tried to dump me! luckily I value my old bones as I am sure I won't bounce from any height - I made him move through it and we finished with an ears back protest but knowing who was in charge- I must make an effort to keep up my schooling with him. He was still mad with me when I went to feed up tonight - he'll just have to get over it!
day off tomorrow we are taking the kids to the seaside for the day and good weather forcast - Yeah!

quiet week again - finally got Charlie back out in the field yesterday - poultice off today and packed with stockhole tar and cotton wool - messy job but needed poultice off as foot hoof was sweating due to the heat - he had double abcessed in the foot but both have fully drained and hes sound again - good to see:smile:

we have had a family hack out this morning with Acorn and Nuts and the kids - very sweaty going - hot, blaring sun and winter woolies coming in - we went early to try and keep ponies cool but it could have done to be earlier.

Quite again this end, Charlie is sound again now and back to his old self - hes walking out again now and had the saddle reintroduced at the weekend, so far so good, rebacking is delayed due to Daughter going on belated honeymoon November, OH has asked her not to risk anything until after that, she had 6 months off following whiplash injuries after he threw her 18 months ago and then Charlie was injured/ill , we are going to get him to stage of getting on for then, so full tack on again and get him working in on it and leant over in prep.

All have been weightaped and wormed, quite pleased

Tess is 385kg which is fine for her, she looks to weigh more but that is more shape due to not being worked much and coat which is coming in well now.

Charlie is 260kg - spot on, still hardly any sign of winter coat coming in.

Acorn is 150kg - target maintenance weight so well pleased - he is much like Tess in so far as looks bigger due to thick coat coming in.

Nuts is 190 kg - prefer around 175 to 180kg but thick coat and she is obviously getting ready for winter and she is very lightly worked so not going to slimmers world, winter will do that.

All but Tess have had their manes and tails sorted - rough trimmed tails to get them off the ground on the Shetties so both looking smart at moment I am sure they will change that within a few days.

No riding at the weekend other than Tess went out on Saturday for a small hack, she loves to go out now and again.

Farrier coming to the boys on Wednesday.

finished this week on a good note alround, the boys gad the farrier on Wednesday - both fine and no damage to Charlie following the abcessing - he has resumedf walking out on roads and is currently sound - he has had the saddle on all week and is really comfortable with it - today he was trotted with it on and all fine - he will start getting 2 mornings lunge work in the school we have free use of this week and start more serious ridden prep work.

It has bee warm and sunny this weekend - i have been mulling over the issue we have with Acorn - rushing and evasion leading in him dumping Emma when he had had enough - so I have got him a Wilkie Beval sweet iron and copper bit and yesterday it was first day on - I had ten minutes walk on him getting him used to it and had a good initial feeling on how he felt.

Today we put it to the test - 10 minutes in the field walking through poles whilst Emma got the hang of it - it gives poll pressure and the release reponse is in him relieving that - needs Emma to have good safe, light and balanced hands - she understands that so we worked on maintaing a light contact- all well in the field so left that on a good note - in so far as Emma remained onboard and no evasion. We then took him out onto the roads he was very forward in walk but we did some work on stopping and starting- then we introduced trot - first length he tried rushing but soon realised that was not what was wanted and on bringing his head down and coming onto the bit he slowed so we walked a bit and then had another session - much better and by the 4th he went into trot nicely maintaining contact and a nice outline which helped Em in her ride - she kept nice contact and hands down and I could finally see what we can achieve once they are together - the bit is mild to moderate and ring legal for the leval of showing she will be doing - I am hoping eventually once hes not as green we can go back to his usual jointed snaffle - or maybe a french link we will see - the main thing is we can now get on with his education safely - he is one strong little powerhouse- the energy just needs to be controlled - Emm needs to build up her strength and the new control she feels now will help build up her confidence .
Nuts has been out on the lead both days - Thomas had his go with her today .

Tess has had this weekend off but seems happy enough .

Bloody cold here after the good weather we have had, rain overnight -have had a little episode with Nuts this morning, she tends to wolf her food a bit in the hope she can push Acorn off his and get seconds, this morning she looks to have got some stuck -have massaged her neck and checked her mouth with a nip to my finger for my troubles, but she ended up not eating her breakfast and looking really sorry for herself with her nervous shakes (she does this when not happy), don't think shes managed to clear it but was a bit brighter after half an hour - so today I have put her in with Tess in the Winter Field, plenty of long rough grasses to keep her nibbling and Tess was moving her around - best nursemaid going that one she seems to know what they need to do, will see how she is tonight when I go up - hopefully she will have perked up - if not will get the vet out tomorrow for a check over and have a look in her mouth incase we have a tooth issue which will need to be sorted before winter, was going to get them checked before winter in anycase so will just bring it forward.

Suppose it was too much to ask to go for 2 weeks between incidents!

well the week has finished off with the promised rain, just got in before it started proper its now peeing it down, cold wet and windy!

Nuts has got over her problem - took a few days, spoke to vet who said as other than the little bit of nose dribble everything else was normal to keep an eye on her, leave it a few days befor letting her have anything other than grass and monitor her - he thinks as me the greedy mare has had something down the wrong way and it needs to clear -shes back on a handful of balancer only twice a day and is fine, she dropped some weight over a few days but its back on now.

Acorn and Tess are fine, Charlie has been walked out every day and trot introduced, we put him on the lunge this morning ( first time in months) to see how he coped - hes fine in walk on both reins, spot on in trot on one rein and a little stiff on the other - he fine in trot on a straight line - so 5 minute in walk and a minute in trot on each rein - checked legs and no swelling or heat so he back out grazing now - we will continue with the hill work walks and try him on the lunge again next weekend and see if any improvement on the stiff side - we expected he would probably need to have the muscle build up worked on and balanced - all in wrong place due to him having had the injury and then carrying the extra stress due to the abcessing - but hes going the right way and back to his normal cheeky self.

I have a day off now due to weather so busy watching the GN run.

steady week this week - Charies coming on nicely - hes now much stronger on jis hind leg - we have increased his trot to 2 minutes on each rein - no sign of blowing so lungs in good order - really pleased with his progress.

The Sun in out today and its warm - Emm came through and I fenced a small area in the field for her to ride in on her own - shes doing well but hes only good for about 10 to 15 minutes before his stubbon streak hits in - boredom - he needs riding through it she tries but she needs more leg strength - I don't want her legs flapping to keep him going and she is no way ready for a whip to back up her aids! He reverts back to wanting to follow me as if on the lead - so I have to stand well away and back up her aids with a strong word command - getting there - I need to get back on him and ride him more to get his confidence up,so we then took her out for a hack on him with Charlie in hand - very well behaved on the road as always- plenty of vans, cars - bikes and joggers on a single country lane - kept trying to break into trot and Emm is confident enough now to bring him back and take him in when she wants - the breaks are getting better - must say he has more respect for the new bit and is not looking for me at all on a hack but then he loves going out so no boredom or protesting - I have taped bobbles onto the reins so she can maintain an even contact - shes steady with her hands she just needs the odd reminder about length as the slim leather show reins tend to slip - we will put the rubber grips back on next time see if that helps any - only thing is they are thick and she has really tiny hands - all in all a good day.

The girls are both okay - have moved them off the winter paddock for a few days while it is dry - to top the fresh growth on the paddock the boys are strip grazing into and allow a bit of fresh onto the winter field.

hope the weather keeps good for a while longer.

Have missed a few weeks , not too eventful other than we have had the farrier
last week only to find Tess and Acorn have some bruising - hard ground and farrier says nothing to worry about - first time we have had bruising on Tess it was one foot and minimal so expect she has hit something - Acorn not suprised we just watch him carefully he was a bit tentative on one foot so that explains it, hes been fine since but we have had rain and ground is softer - Charlie had more bruising but has been sound now for 6 weeks, we had a grass flush following rain and sun and Charlie Crest hardened again - Farrier commented on it and said to watch him - we have duly reduced his paddock, supplimented with a flap of hay and hes had Magnesyium in his feed last couple of days - hes walked out and its reducing nicely - we have had heavy rain for 2 days and managed to get him out for a walktonight, very windy so it was an active one!
he missed exercise for 2 days due to the weather - at same time he got the magnesium - I think I can see and feel a difference already - heard good things on it - will see how it goes.

Nothing much else has happened, winter feed and bedding is in and rugs ready should they ever be needed, the boys are coping fine without at the moment - neither are very good in prolonged periods of Windy, cold and wet so will keep an eye on them its the wind that seems to be the issue.

Charlie brought forward to 3 weeks as farrier wants to do some remedial on the one front - other 3 are really good now - getting there.

Well a quiet week but not so quiet end to it!

The boys had their trim yesterday - pleased to say that thanks to the weather and softer ground bruising is much better and farrier is happy with Charlies front
foot - so back to 4 weekly again for them .

spent this morning in the sunshine resetting all the electric fence posts and tightening tape ready for the extra strength winds - this affternoon we loded the field shed with Hay in an effort to prevent it blowing away and moved anything that may remotley decide to fly off - Acorn is in the winter field tonight with the girls - Charlie is on his own but has some shelter in the lean to we put on the side of the shed to stablize it - only a roof and one side but fastened to fence - have popped him a small net in and left him happily munching on it - he has plenty of field to run in if needs be but he had access to it last night and from the ammount of poo around it he hadn't moved far - he likes to get behind or under a bit of a wimp in rain and wind so he can at least keep his back dry - no rugs as its still too warm to even think about one.

glad to get in it was blowing a hooly when I left and its getting stronger - although we are not in the track of the alledged main event so its no worse that what we are used to - hope it stays that way! Rain not due till early hours so will be a wet feed up in morning.

Well true to form, Wet Windy and then the first frost and I have had to bring Acorn up to the yard today, poor little man was stiff - I was checking back on threads from last year and its same time he had to come in last year- he was very reluctant to go up to the yard, napping until we got to a point he realised he was not going back to the field - I left him tucked up in his stable with Net, we have more rain and wind due and then a frost over night tonight so he will thanks me later, he walked down to the yard fine once he stopped napping and his muscles warmed up and is walking round his stable fine - feet checked all seem fine, he only had farrier at weekend so hopefully its just his back end issues again, not given him any bute this morning, want to see how he walks out later - if he needs it we have our emergency stock which the vets leave us for these times.
The others are fine - I really didn't want him in just yet, with bonfire night close I prefer him out - if I can get him loosened up then hopefully I can get him back up there even if he has to have a rug on over night to keep the damp off.

5th of November and no frost this morning (hard frost yesterday) although Wet and windy so Acorn is back out in the field with his Rug on ( hes fine and the stiffness in his back end has gone) and very happy to back in Company again, he had Company on a night down at the yard as the others are now in but he really does not do on his own without fuss - he had a good walk out yesterday and out for an hour last night but the hard frost had kept him in during the day so he was a begger to catch to bring in last night, he was very helpful putting his rug on this morning he knows hes going out to stay when that goes on, he looks very clean and white in the field thanks to being in - no doubt the white bits will be back to dark tonight - I am pleased to get him back out so hopefully with the Rug he won't get stiff again , its only a no fill but is just enough to keep the damp out.

Others are all fine and were there to welcome him back.

48 hours out , rain yesterday, a damp and then cold/ frosty night and even with a rug on the stiffness has returned, rug off today as expecting a bright sunny dry day, hopefully he will walk it off and get some heat into it - if not then he is going to have to come in on a night to try and keep on top of it, he won't like it but I can't let it set in to such a point he ties up and it takes months to sort out- bloody lammi has a lot to answer for.:cry::banghead:

a few weeks since I have updated and as I am limited to what I ac do outside thanks to the wrist in plaster thought I would update.

Daughter is still on Honeymoon and blissfully unware Of my accident- I have spoken with farrier and he is of same opinion as me and has rebooked for next weekend when she is back- I have told her but the reason given is the weather and don't want to risk bruised feet on hardground following the trim- totally plausable and full accepted she will give me what for when she gets back for not telling her but for me what can she do a 9hour flight away other than stress.

I am coping quite well - feeding and hay can easily be done one handed and permanent plaster now on so I can do a little more - youngest daughter cleaned the boys field for me on Thursday andis going to do the same today- I did manage to scoop out Acorns paddock this morning - amazing what you can with your knees and one arm!

Ponies have been very good - tess comes over and gives kisses, even nuts come for a sniff of me arm and a hug - the boys have been on best behaviour am sure they know to be careful around me at the moment.

no frost this morning which was good and the sun has just come out making for a cool but lovely morning - I was going to so much with time I had booked off - ah well best laid plans and all that. I have picked up a new maximum 14" saddle for Acorn at a snip - fit is good and was hoping to try it out properly - will have to wait.

I have started Christmas shop on line - not well organised this year so given myself a kick up the butt.

all ponies are hairy and dirty - usual winter turn away state - the winter field hasn't much left - end of december should see Acorn be able to move on withe girls and hay suppliment in.

Boys are on a flap morning and night as they are both on the next to nought paddocks - which are really very sparse now - Acorns paddock is triple its summer size - Charlie is rotating between 2 smaller ones as his ara chews up more but other than his gate areas its standing up quite well, he will more than likely go up to the yard at the weekend for his trim for a few days and turout up there if the frosts persist - just until we are sure his feet are okay - Acorn I am hoping will stay out 24/7 longer this winter.

No rugs yet - holding weight well despite the cold weather - Tess looks like a mammoth but I can feel her ribs so will keep an eye on her at 23 she does not hold the weight as well even though to the eye you would think she needs to lose some - all that hair!

newrider.com