Our Gang 2013.........

December already - daughter back on Thursday so my load has been lightened a little - we have Acorn in as he has seized up on his back end -slight limp on front o/s - farrier on saturday and his feet are good - he like me suspects he has pulled or twisted going under the fence - hes on bute now am in a big box so he can move but not run - between the devil and the deep as in his back end ties but out he aggriavtes the injury - left him out in top paddock last night with access to his shelter which has a nice shavings bed so he could rest when needed - did he use it no - he has been ploughing around alnight and was sore- so hes in now again - will see how he is tommorrow , if no better will ring Vets for advice! hes eating.pooing and normal in every other way bless him.

Charlies feet done and okay despite going over a week hes back inthe field.

As we had boys done up at the yard farrier went up to the field a few minutes before us, when we got there hes halfway through trimming Tess - shes just stood in the field no head collar letting him di her trim. both girls done no problems.

Charlies been wormed, girls tommorrow and Acorn in a couple of days when I am sure he picking up.

Tess was the subject of puppy training on Saturday afternoon - as she is not bothered and just stands the trainer was teaching pup not to bark at the neds- very fruitful 1/2 hour for pup (13 week old GSD bitch belonging to field neighbour) ended up with pup & Tess rubbing noses!

back at work typing one handed and fed up - 3 weeks more of plaster to go!

another week, well fortunately the shed stood up to the wind and no damageAcorn is still up at the yard and caught him shifting and taking the weight off his heel yesterday morning so we are now tubbing and poulticing as classic abcess maturing signs - hes been wormed, I kept him off the bute for 48 hours to see what is happening - he went back on the bute yesterday once I started tubbing, hes obviously feeling it as sweaty and very uncomfortable without meds, hes stiff on back end from taking the strain and lack of movement - normal for him when movement is compromised -and some muscle wastage on his o/s hind we are walking him out for 5 minutes to loosen him up and out in top paddock for half a day - although they are shooting today so hes in as they beat alongside his paddock which he hates - poor little man is not a happy chappy!

the others are out on the hill and fine, going to be mild his week so no frosts to contend with.

I am still wairing for my appointment to get the plot off - I was hoping before Christmas but it is getting less likly as time passes:poop:

another week over, girls & Charlie are fine out on the hill, we have taken some of the fencing down to open up the girls field - they are well no hay for them yet, Charlie's on a flap morning and night and has just been moved up to his big boy bit in preparation for riding - in hand he has always had a little nylon mullen mouth - he is now sporting a French link eggbutt and no problems so far - we hope to reback early in the new year - this time in the safety of a ménage! will be easier once the light starts coming back in a morning and hopefully the weather remains good to us.

Acorn is still at the yard, in on a night and out during the day, hes improving albeit slowly, almost off the bute now, he has lost muscle tone on his o/s so its not able to fully support his stifle (nothing new - its something hes suffered with post lammi if his mobility is reduced), we are working on building and toning and its much stronger but doubt he will get back up to the field before new year now!

I still have my pot and no date yet for it coming off - after Christmas I suspect now!

Good and bad this week, the girls are fine, Charlie is good although he is today sporting his light weight rug for the first time, and much happier boy, he has little natural shelter a small lean to under which his hay goes but he has done better than other years to get this far without one.

Acorn was progressing nicely but came in Saturday night Stiff again, felt his legs and he was hot and sore in his groin area so looks like he has messed about again or slipped and pulled, sprained something on his weak side, so upped his bute and box rest yesterday and today with a small straight line walk out morning and night to help his usual mobility issues not as hot and sore but have Vet booked for tomorrow for a check over - he's eating , pooing and weeing normally and not happy he's in but with the weather as it is can't risk him making things worse turnout even in his small area, looks as though his village reindeer appearance is off this year .

The boys have the farrier on Saturday and we have the boys and Nuts booked for their injections on the 10th January, hopefully Charlie will get his Microchip (failed on this last 3 years due to his behaviour/illnesses)Vet is just going to go for it this time - watch this space!

Well Vet has been - Acorn was a very good boy - full flexion and hoof tests,

He has pulled hamstring muscle on o/s hind and has reaction on n/s fore which vet concludes may be pedal bone inflamation from weight carrying injury or abcess brewing - due to his history he is on turnout during the day and in on a night (what I was doing anyway his usual injury management) a bute a day and see how he is in a week - he has farrier on Saturday so will be able to double check that foot - 3 feet no reaction at all - vet commented on how good all feet were and Hard! we are obviously on lammi watch now but he has to have the movement.

just pleased nothing skeletol and a case of management and fingers crossed he don't aggrevaite it.

sunny day today - girls out on the hil1 and both boys up at the yard - Farrier came yesterday - Charlies had his trim and all good, farrier wouldn't trim Acorn due to his injury bt he has taken the front toes back to prevent any brakeover issues - little man very stiff in a morning but loosens up out in his little paddock which is now halved to accomadate Charlie to give him Company for a few days hoping to get Charlie back out on the hill later in the week - Charlie came in on Friday up the road in 60mph gales and didn't blink an eyelid at it - how he has grown up! Hes enjoying been in on a night for now - what a wuss for a Welsh A
but he will go back out 24/7 for as long as weather holds.

daughter has just rung to say Nuts looks to have a cut on her nose but she can't get close enough to her - will check her out when go up! more than likely scratched it in the hedge, she was fine when I left her at 1/2 seven this morning -will take some cleanser and cream up in case needed.

the last post of 2013 - Acorn ends the year on box rest with walk out to try and sort his hamstring, Charlie is going back up to the field for today and then back in tonight to try and save the top paddock a bit - The girls are very wolly, mucky but happy on the hill - we have wind but very little rain - tomorrow it will come -
My wrist is still sore but getting more movement - but otherwise healthy for an OAP.

Happy New Year to all - will see you in our 2014 diary:biggrin:

I failed in the photo a month - will try harder 2014:wink:

newrider.com