Our Gang 2014..........

Well Charlie has at last de stressed and is looking a lot better, just needs to put the weight back on he lost.

Acorn last night was much improved, the new management seems to be working, he is comfortable on the danilon - no sign of gut irritation, subsequently he is not tucking up so less stress on the hind/back muscle groups - in turn the sore no more seems to be working- I am quite impressed will have to order some more as just got the small one in case it made no difference- the Naf Arnica Gel & GH rub where soothing but are so messy the SNM do not clog the hair up - I am massaging in twice a day on the Rump , hind legs, shoulders and on the front legs and painting the soles once a day, and putting the mag boots on the backs during the day. Hes also getting maintenance dose of the Easy Joint Suppliment we give to Tess for her Arthritis - he was a little stiff coming out, a bit footy on one front but once in the field was walking better than he has for 12 weeks - he came in well and apart from a bit tentative on the one front walked in nicely - dare I say it we look to be getting somewhere at last. He will go out again tonight for an hour and have his walk out , same tomorrow then Saturday if he continues to improve as he is he will get 1/2 day out, if he copes with that we will extend on Sunday with a hope to having the day out starting next week - weather permitting - I am reluctant to put a rug in the mix yet.

I am keeping an eye on his weight, ok so far even though hes on restricted exercise - having changed to Alpha A Oil as the main feed with a small handful of HH - but only hay and a 15 minute graze on grass, this seems to be suiting him with the oil based diet being good for the muscles.

:banghead: eactly how I feel Friday Acorn walked out better - not right but improved - yesterday nice sunny day tought I would try him out for a few hours - Charlie was starting to settle after the hunt episode earlier in the week, not sure what has gone on but spotted Charlie going beserk in the field mid afternoon and the horse in the paddock opposit running around like something possesed - anyway goes up to get Acorn in and hes in a right state, can only suppose he has ended up trying to take flight with Charlie - so in - meds and a good lather down with the sore no more - it foams if it hits a hot spot and it did in his groin area :poop: spent last night worrying about a set back - this morning hes no worse than normal - hes had a hour out on his own and a walk out in hand - Charlie has only had an hour out today trying to break the stressing which has returned with yesterdays misterious goings on - he settled in his stable and is eating which is good as he lost the weight he was putting on after the hunt episode and looks like a skinny jim being starved!

we had a bit of Sun today but have rain and wind now - I will give Acorn a walk out tonight again in an effort to up the mobility.

Spoke to the girl's mum we share the yard with and she is bringin in etc as her daughter has just had a baby - all 3 of hers where revved up last night and one off his feed - will be glad when Charlie can get back up the hill so we can sort his head out!

Have bitten the bullet today - Charlie is out in his hill paddock for the day and will come in tonight, this frees up the little paddock at the yard so Acorn is out for the day, The Vet wants him out as much as possible during the day to help build up his muscles - use them or lose them - so wether he looks in discomfort or not we have to try and make him - on his own he won't take flight at everything dippy Charlie does so hopefully will remain at a gentle amble and not strain himself - hes got his mag boots on and had his meds, I left him eating his hay in between shouting at me not sure if its for leaving him out or not putting Charlie out with him! Daughter got same reaction when she left, It was frosty this morning but not worried as no grass left to speak of thanks to Charlies antics, I have bedded his shelter down and put extra hay in there as well, not sure how he will be tonight, it may get worse to get better as the muscles stretch , repair and rebuild- we will see - its his only real chance at making a full recovery - I have the sore no more ready and that will be massaged in tonight when he comes in - will paint it on his feet as well.

The girls are fine, and Charlie was as good as gold going up the road to the field no sign of stress and daughter said when she let him off in the field he cantered and farted all the way over to Tess and Nuts and was running up the side of the dividing fence playing over the top when she left - hes ready for out now and ready for work - lets hope the weather holds for both of them.

Well Charlie thoroughly enjoyed his day up at the field and was ready to go this morning again - he's looking more relaxed already, alert and the mile walk each day will do him the world of good fitness wise combined with the turnout in preparation for the show season.

Acorn survived his day out in the top paddock - I wasn't sure how he was going to be when I got there but he was relatively good and walked in well considering - certainly no worse and for me a little better for being able to potter - hes out again today, the walk out was a laboured but then that's nothing new, so hopefully tonight when I get up there hes no worse and hopefully a little improvement can be seen again, there is no quick fix but its a start..... in himself hes alert and happy enough, just the mobility issue, his good side is much better now and the toe is no longer swinging out the bad side which is always his weakest when comprised and the side he injured worst is still very straight (peg leg) he had a weak stifle on that side when young and he needs the muscle to be correct to carry it and work properly so that's the aim for this turnout now to help build it up, the more it builds and works the better he will move - just not nice to watch at times but we have been here before, but that has ,apart from a few years ago post winter lammi, mainly been in summer and hes been out 24/7 so recovery has been quicker as the muscle loss/damage hadn't been so dramatic - 4 to 6 weeks at most - we are in week 13 now and envisage a long haul if we are to get a full recovery (by no means a certainty)or at least to allow him to have the exercise he needs to keep him comfortable and sound and hopefully be able to be ridden again even if only for happy hacking for Emma, something they both enjoy.

Acorn is having a Duvet Day, he was stiff coming in last night and was not too bothered about getting up this morning, although he did when he realised everyone had been fed but him - hes eaten his brekky and left him eating his hay - although he come to the door suspect he expected to be going out poorly or not! I will take him for his walk tonight and access how he is and aim to get him back out for the day tomorrow. he did fully stretch out both backs this morning, although there is some clicking I the stifle area on his bad one - still not fully supported hence not got the full correct movement which does not help the muscles at all, but slowly slowly catch a monkey and all that, he can rest up today and then try again tomorrow, the good news is he is better on his fronts so the strain they where getting must be relieved somewhat - have to keep looking for the positives as the negatives kick you in the face!

Charlie's back up the hill today, he is so chilled out again - he followed the Dustbin lorry through the village this morning and never blinked at the noise , hustle and bustle and flashing lights - 18 months ago they would still have been potential monsters - now they are just there - the boys finally grown up it would seem, most things now do not bother him, although after the hunt fiasco County Shows could be interesting!

Well having looked at current management plan for Acorn and the continuous roller coaster we are on with his recovery I have revisited his diet, I have taken the Alfalfa, Oil and the Glucosomine based joint supplement out of his diet, he's back on maintenance ration of Happy Hoof which he has always been fine on, Alpha Bute and Lammiprone and introduced Magnesium, he still on his Danilon - he was marginally better last night on his turnout and walk out but having only had the change in the morning not expecting much, this morning he was up and shouting at me as soon as I arrived at the yard - he seems better on his feet - more alert , still stiff on the bad side but diet is not going to fully resolve that, he needs to use it - its tipping it down this morning, he doesn't do wet and windy and currently I am loathe to put a rug on him so he's having another duvet day but will get an hour out tonight and walk out again - he gets 15 minutes of grazing on the grass but otherwise lts hay. He's getting a good groom morning and night and a massage and is shining like a new pin - I am putting the sore no more on fronts and backs on a night and he get the GH muscle rub on his rump and thighs in a morning - early days but initial signs are good - suspect the Alfalfa and Glucosomine have contributed to the footiness, no heat in feet at all this morning - frogs a bit raggy on fronts but otherwise shape looking good and no signs of nasty - hes getting the foot spray on a night to deter any nasties.

He's very high maintenance for a little guy! I put his boredom ball in with him yesterday and he's obviously been splattering it about his stable which is a good sign.

Charlies back up at the field again today, he wasn't too happy been turned out in the rain - wimpy Welsh - but it should dry up this morning, hes looking great and the extra exercise is toning him up already and he's shining getting a groom twice a day as well - fingers crossed things are looking good for showing, we are not planning the shows too far ahead - we are going with the flow.

Next week is looking good weather wise so fingers crossed things will improve
for the little man as Dr Sun does his job.

The grass is coming now and will do even more so as weather improves, we are having frosts next week though so will have to be vigilant as fructen levels rise.

the Girls are fine as always, Tess is ready for a good groom so that will be this weekends job.

Well after much deliberation, discusions and weighing up pro's and Con's Acorn was rugged, boxed up and trailer upto the field this morning - he is tying up overnight being in so being out and able to potter over 24 hours as and when it suits we hope will help his recovery - we are at stalemate on the old regime -
he saw the trailer and went straight in and came out well at the other end - he had a small walk on the road to the field from the trailer and he did really well, once in the small padock I have fenced he trotted (yes trotted much to my horror) to the end of the paddock and then head down on the sparse grass - hes alert enough and is still on his meds, vet has supplied another months worth
there is a hedge he can get behind but no other shelter - it was a cold wind up there this morning so hes rugged to keep his muscles warm and stop him shivering - no good for his muscles to shiver - hes shed most of his coat so not waterproof either - although this weeks forcast is good so it was one of the pro's on the decision, we may have a couple of morning of frost to contend with but I can put plenty of hay out for him and grass is sparse so hopefully he can stand any sugar change - feet are good but need to be careful re any bruising - but we must try to get him more mobile if he is to have a chance of getting full mobility back - hes done it before after he had his lammi so I am trying to stay positive on this for him. ZHe can see the others - Charlie is back out 24/7 and the girls have been out anyway - but not in touching to prevent any further stupidity and injury, I can also take him up the road for a change of scenery on a night - the road tarmac is smooth and better for his joints that the rough stuff up at the yard - we will see we will only do it when I think he is ready, if it becomes too much then we can always trailer him back up for a rest and try again, but we would then be back to square one - but the concensious is turnout is his best chance its just a case of juggling the management of it.

Today is a bad day - Acorn is not good I have made him as comfortable as I can - hes out , the Suns shining and hes near his frienda- I have a feeling the next few days are going to be hard for both of us - the fight is on now - I am not sure how this is going to pan out the first time I have dared acknowledge the possibility the outcome may notbe positive and I feel useless and helpless as I can,t do anymore than I am - in or out it won't make a difference if his body cannot cope to have him locked in 4 walls to keep him safe is not a life - might make me feel better but he would be miserable - we are at the bottom of the rollercoaster desperatly wanting the strengh to climb back up - I need to keep strong for the both of us now rather than wallow in my own feelings - so I am going to give myself a quick kick up the backside and go back up and spend some quality time with him.

A better morning in so far as he is no worse - hes being a bit of prat in regard to his feed so its a bit of a struggle with the Danilon , hopefully hes got it all down him this morning, I have ordered some Turmeric to try and will see how that goes - hes alert enough and bright eyed this morning, I left the mag boots on overnight and hes had the sore no more on again last night and this morning, left him chomping on his hay - hoping yesterday was just a blip maybe extra strain of being out 24/7 and that he is adjusting to the non confinement, no frost last night but we have it overnight tonight, next thing I have to watch is for concussion - :banghead: - His muscles where not as tight or swollen this morning, will see how they are tonight. the sun is shining again today, not as warm but hopefully Dr Sun will help him.

I hope the sun helps, it certainly always cheers me up!

I can also sympathise with the feed issue. Rubic just picks at her feed and won't eat it all now (tried with and without the various supplements she gets). So trying to get Danilon into her would be a nightmare. I had to resort to treacle sandwiches when she was on box rest as she suddenly decided she wasn't eating her bucket feed. Obviously not brilliant for a horse/pony with bad hooves. It is frustrating though as you just want them to eat what will be good for them and get better! Hugs for you, I can understand how difficult it must be just now.

Thanks Rubic - yes they certainly know how to tug on the heart strings.

last night he seemed a little easier and managed to get the meds down him, it was cold overnight but No frost thank goodness, he was up and waiting for me when I got up to the field and ate his breakfast - alert, he was damp thanks to the cold fog we had first thing - I really don't want to rug him as I don't think the restriction of the rug helps, he had his mag boots on again over night, they do seem to help - legs not too bad, lathered the so no more on again and daughter said he was pottering round field when she left, its warm and sunny now - will see how he is tonight - no counting chickens all I can hope for is not gone backwards - any improvement is a positive however small, but a continued spell of good weather is forecast , the longer it lasts the better as the stronger he should get in theory.

Bright sunshine here now after a very foggy and damp start, if I dare say it Acorn seems to be on the up - hes standing straighter, the muscles are less tense, I haven't been picking out his feet since the weekend so as not to apply pressure on his limbs - so this morning I decided I would see how we went on, back feet fine to pick out, one front okay the other he is still not letting me have so I have not pushed it - there was very little in them anyway - I will do them all at the weekend when daughter is there to hold him and get some spray on them, they are all nice and cool and no heat and no pulses - hes eating his feed okay with the meds in so that's one less thing to worry about- I am waiting for the Turmeric to arrive and get some linseed oil and then once he is eating it I am going to start reducing the meds slightly to see if we can get him onto a lower dose - he's now comfortable enough to walk away at a brisk enough pace if the hoof pick is shown, hes not so much crab like now and not having to lean back as much to get momentum from stand to walk - good weather forecast at least for the next 4 days - I am hoping for longer -
I worry about the damp and cold overnight but touch wood so far he has coped with it - I suspect any resting is done during the day when the ground is warmer - he's stood waiting and shouting at me in a morning for his bucket
much happier little boy now. I am hoping if he continues as is I can get him out of the little area he is in for a short walk out on the road at the weekend and a change of scenery, just 5 minutes but enough to see the improvement on hard ground.

The others are all fine, Tess is covering the field in Hair and is looking a mess, you could stuff a warehouse full of sofa's with whats come off so far and still a lot to go - Nuts on the other hand has only just started with the guard hairs - Charlie and Acorn are well through their Shedding - still quite a bit to come off -

A slight frost over night but no real hard ground so that's good, Sun in shining again.

Acorn was walking a little better last night again, still obvious short footing but not throwing out as much, which means toe drags a little, stifle function me thinks, muscle not strong enough to fully support it in motions but pottering about will help that - the Turmeric arrived yesterday, it says to introduce slowly so he half a teaspoon last night and 1/2 a teaspoon this morning, gobbled up without a hint of a problem so will give 1/2 tonight and if still no issue will increase in the morning, have no idea how much he should have, but have reduced his Alpha bute by 1/2 to compensate, when he gets a teaspoon full he should be off the Alpha bute - which he only has to help with the muscles as the Danilon is not effective for muscle pain, its to help with the general soreness and front leg issues to straighten him up, reducing Danilon slightly as his mobilility increases, otherwise he will feel fine, prat about and we will go backwards, Not sure how effective the Turmeric will be , but read good things so its worth a shot.

looking forward to the weekend when I can get him out on a walk for 5 minutes up the lane , I will be able to better access him on the flat.

Charlie is being walked out every morning and will start lunging at the weekend, first show is planned for April.

Girls are fine, Tess is a large ball of exploding hair - noticed this morning that Nuts is starting to shed more, will be a weekend with the shedder for them both.

not so warm today:cold: windy - Charlie has been lunged and was a very good boy - Acorn has had a small walk out in hand up the lane - it has a gentle incline so ne had to work his back end going up and its not too steep coming back down to cause a problem with his muscles - he walked out well - from the side you can see the short step and the cause - stifle popping due to lack of muscle tone to hild the mechanism - so he will walk out now 5 minutes everyday to help the muscle support - he was happy to go out , even happier to have a 5 minute graze either way in the longer grass in the field - have upped the turmeric -- a teaspoon a day now - too early to say wether the improvement over the past few days is the turnout or if the Turmeric is making a big difference - still reducing his meds and he is not showing signs of been more uncomfortable for it- hes certainly moving more -and straighter - we managed to get all 4 feet done - hes still not happy with the front foot but this is the one that means the weight is on his bad side - hopefuly the reluctance will fade as the stifle support increases - he has not had a proper trim on that hoof since November - hes due next week and we really do need to get it balanced - farrier has been doing toes and flare but we have had to keep minimal pressure on his bad side so time for foot up is limited. The schedule has arrived for the local Shetland show - we haven''t missed many I like to support it but entries have to be in by 9th April and I know Acorn won't be fit to enter - if we are to enter Nuts then Acorn will need to travel with her as she will sweat up and stress travelling on her own - will make a decision nearer the time. If hes not fit enough to travel we will miss it - welfare is more important that ribbons.

After a reasonable day yesterday, this morning the little man is off again,
back legs don't appear to have too much trauma muscle wise but worried about the stress problems with the fore bring, but we are lifting the heel on the front foot again - I will soak and poultice for a few days and see if this helps - could be abcess brewing or bruising either way the soaking will help, we have the farrier on Saturday so he will be able to access if nothing has materialised by then, at least its dry so He can stay out for it, it could simply be a strain due to that foot requiring attention and the heel bringing down we will see.

Everyone else is okay.

Not too bad last night so I have held off with the soak and poultice, he did let me lift all 4 feet last night which is first in 3 months without an argument or him trying to sit down - he let me again this morning, hes very short on one back but the other seems to more normal now - the short step is for moving the opposite front fore, I think we are at a stage now in its mechanical - I need that heel down and the hoof balanced on that fore from past experience this should help straighten his action to allow the hind to move correctly and then the muscle strengthen to carry his stifle, it is not dampening his appetite nor his ability to mug me for a sugar free polo if he can smell them on me at all, I can use this to my advantage in that if he picks that bad fore up and lets me examine it and a Polo is forthcoming he will present it again in the hope of another.

bad news, we have rain and wind which he does not cope with very well, he coped with the bit overnight - its dry now and odd shower forecast, tomorrow is to be dry and sunny (if they have it right) but Thursday is to be bad (hoping it will change) if it is then he will need a rug, I have been trying to avoid but if it is 24 hours solid he won't cope.

Well the only change we have had in real terms in the last 7 days is the introduction of the Turmeric - I am seeing big changes in the affected muscle area quicker than I would have expected and I have one more comfortable (if not bargy, self opinionated and too used to getting a way with murder whilst he has been unwell ) pony - this in turn means we are getting more movement, more movement means we are getting muscle build up and repair which in turn is helping the stifle , he is still short on the affected leg but now he is letting me pick that front foot up I can see the problem, due to the farrier being unable to do much other than keep on top of toe and flare since his injury the Heel is well high and the foot unbalanced, this will mean he is effectively on stiletto mode on that foot ,the soft tissue/ligaments will be suffering and he will be sore , transference to the opposite back leg ( his bad one) - we have always known we were fighting dealing with both ends so to speak, but now we have the back end more comfortable we should be able to get a proper trim on Saturday and bring his heel down and into eventually a more comfortable position, he will no doubt be sore for a few days as the ligaments/soft tissue readjusts, but I can deal with that, had to do before post lammi. Now I can get at the feet I am using the foot spray daily, that foot is a bit smelly in the Sulci which is deep due to the heel height - if I dare say it things look to be on the up.
Hes still on the Danilon, I am not reducing it anymore now at least for a few days after the trim on Saturday when I will review. I am hoping farrier will be able to do a full dress on Saturday, depending on his thoughts he may go for an initial and then a 2 week follow up if he thinks the leg will have too much stress. I trust him completely so will be up to him.

a little more improvement In the breadth of movement on that back leg, less short step but still some way to go, you can here and feel the stifle joint clicking on movement - just not enough support for it yet, but it is slowly getting stronger with each day - some way to go yet me thinks but where we are is not dissimilar to previous post injury episodes with his stifle affected- his Achilles heel so to speak - each time I suspect will make him more prone to Arthritis/degeneration in that area - exercise is the key, fitness = less prone to injury - won't stop it as each time it is self inflicted by the silly little sod doing something stupid in the field, I can't stop that only minimize risk.

We have 4 hours of bad rain forecast later today - I have had to make a call on whether to rug or not - I have decided against as on balance the rug on for 24 hours against a 4 hour period of open to the Elements may cause more problems than it is meant to solve, I have made a windbreak near the hedge so he can get behind it for shelter, knowing him he will still stand out in it - so its fingers crossed for when I go up to him tonight (mid way through the promised weather).

Well he has had his trim - the ammount of growth in 4 weeks was amazing - due to what bit of grass he has had, sun & warmer temps and hes been moving more - he was still a bit reluctant to let farrier do that front but we persevered and the heel is now down and foot balanced - farrier said he will do more remedial o it in 4 weeks - he was a bit sore on it straight after but not suprised as leg will feel different and the trim exposed a couple of stone bruises which would explain the off last weekend - have been finishing off the fencing ready for moving the girls down and when I left he was already moving better on it and you can see the difference in the way he is moving over his back and rump - hopefully this will aid his recovery from the hamstring injury even more as he straightens up - would expect 48 hours for the soft tissue , ligaments & tendon on front leg to loosen on the extra stretch on that front - it was weeks last time but more than twice the length of time with the heel height - hes happy enough in himself.

Charlies had his trim - extra titivating today in prep for his show in 2 weeks - looking good and moving great - hes starting to muscle and getting topline as his work increases - just hoping the weather holds as its road and field work as no school available at the moment.

Girls are fine - need to get weigh tape on them - I suspect girth is increasing under all that hair - another reason for moving them down - there is more grass on the fields than it looks! the field they aremoving onto is relitively sparse so they will have to work for it.

The weather is cold and wet with bursts of sunhine inbetween - we hve evaded the promised frosts so far but think we will get one tonight - this is a worry as I have been unable to rug the little man on the one night I would have risked it - today has been a good positive day for him - hiis front leg is improving which means he is having to bear less weight on his back leg and he is now moving easier and the short stepping with that leg is now marginal, it is stronger and the muscle is now deveoping and carrying his stifle better - I walked him out up the lane for a few minutes to see how he was on firm ground - daren't go too far due to the bruising but was well pleased with progress - he enjoyed the graze he got going ou and coming back in the field - and mugged for his polo when I left - tonight he gave me a short burt of canter and a kick of the heels -his cheeky self just hope hes not aggrevaited it - he seemed fine - but this tells me if hes okay tomrrow we start reducing the danilon - the Turmeric will now be part of his diet long term - the turaround in 2 weeks has been a revelation -

newrider.com