Our Gang - 2015

Thank you - its only taken me into month 5 to get some - best intentions and all that!

The weather has been suprising this week - not much rain - sunny but Monday & Tuesday where cold thanks to strong wind - today thankgod a bit of respite and the wind dropped.

Acorn had 2 days turnout to see how he would cope - result was a bit too soon so he has resumed today with 6 hours and he was trotting round when I went for him - so he needed the extra rest - I had lowered the bute and tonight he has had none so see how he is in the morning - he will get 1/4 during the day and similar turnout tommorrow and see how he is tommorrow night - its trial and error with him -always the same but still hopeful for full turnout middle of next week - or BH weekend at latest providing no setbacks - little boy out of the village (recently adopted and bad history) has taken to coming down on a night to help and is growing in confidence helping with Acorn and making up feeds and other little jobs - I can see him changing and Acorn is so gentle with him - the thug has a heart! he will still come and help when Acorn goes up to the field I hope as I am sure it can only be good for him - he was very disruptive at school - but he has changed over the past week - happier and its showing - no wonder they use these little characters for therapy.. Hes only 6 so I am hoping once Acorn is fit and ready for work again he is confident enough to have a go at riding - he has already hinted at it without asking - don't think hes quite confident enough yet and I need to have had Emm get him back out again before he does, if he likes it then I willlet him ride him a few days a weekto keep Acorn exercised - if not then he can just keep helping if thats what he wants.

Have booked the trailer in for service and replating as daughter is looking to change her tow vehicle taking her above her 3,5T MAM - still allows for 2 ponies to travel together - in fact all 3 littlies if we wanted not that they would fit! Have it to empty at the weekend and put the Hay in the store, managed to get 10 bales locally - buyinh hay in May - bloody weather!

Charlie has his saddle back on and is being lunged and walked out with it - hopefully daughter will be cleared to ride in a couple of weeks.and we can start the rebacking process.

Nuts and Tess are both fine and still slim thanks to the lack o grass growth, they are getting a tiny ammount of silvermoor lite a day to suppliment.

Reactions: Trewsers
How did I miss these pics? What lovely happy looking ponies. Fingers crossed Acorn is ok without the bute. Sad, but lovely about the little boy, how nice of you to provide pony therapy for him. I do hope things come right for him.

up and down, when to Acorn this morning and hes laid down rather than stood waiting for me, gets up and hes leaning back and reluctant to bend his front leg or put full weight on that foot, hes eating, pooing and weeing normally so that's good, the leaning back is for the foot I am satisfied with that, a little heat in foot but no pulse and hes reluctant to give me it to do anything with - I suspect we have abcess that is getting ready to pop - I have put a wet poultice on this morning and given him a small amount of bute just to help but from experience it will only take a bit of the edge of - daughter is going to put him out for me mid morning - moving around usually does the job - fingers crossed it pops sooner rather than later, I will give it a few days and then call farrier back if nothing comes out - farrier came on Saturday he did expose a small hole at front of toe but was reluctant to take much sole off due to his recent bruising, suspect if he had it would have exposed it , but I know his reasoning he has looked after him all through his remedial and I trust him on all things foot related, he will want it to pop naturally rather than dig into it.

all the others are fine - just another day in rollercoaster land!

Well went up to bring him in last night and much better, small amount of bute obviously helped straighten him up, he raced across the soft grass without a hint of a problem, a bit ouchy on hard ground on that foot but not bad, took his poultice off and some evidence of discharge but not much, so another nappy on overnight with wet poultice applied and 1/4 bute - this morning up and waiting for me, not 100% but much better - expected he stiffens over night which is why I need to get him out 24/7 as soon as, changed his nappy, nothing much to talk about on poultice again, so new nappy on , left him in and daughter putting him out lunchtime for me, will see how he is tonight, she has collected repeat bute prescription for me this morning, they have changed it again, not sure what to this time not one I have heard of so will be interested to see, Vets are out to Tess next week for her injections so they are going to do his check then which means we can carry on with repeat scripts for 6 months without them having to see him, we should be okay now as the saw him in Feb for his injections but they have it down as December, but they would have had to see him again in a month or so - might as well save the callout .

all the others are fine. Sun is shining, no wind (yeah!) and no rain!

Well Tess has had her injection, behaved remarkably well considering it was hailstone at the time! Didn't need to see Acorn, local vet who lives in village, says he knows how we manage our animals and sees them about all the time so is happy enough that if we believe the Vet was needed we would call - we have enough Bute now for quite a while ( full box x 100) but next time we need any just need to ring and ask for repeat.

Meanwhile Acorn is still sporting a poultice, had bits of crap on it but nothing major - he was out all day yesterday and seemed better alround last night, checked his sole and there is a small soft section - this looks to the area and suspect it is leaking but not full blown - wish it would hurry up - putting dry poultice on at moment as don't want all the sole soft - will check it again tonight and maybe put a wet one on if its not blown fully, his back legs are much better so he is moving more so that will help - he stretched both out fully voluntarily this morning when I picked them up which is good.

Had a couple of days of rain, hail etc so the grass is starting to grow now - good covering coming in the winter field at last.- need to section off the middle summer paddock, I am still hopeful to get Acorn out soon and Tess will move into one of the sections, she will be pleased, she's been looking longingly at it for a few days now. Nuts will stay with Acorn in the paddock she's in now. Keeping an eye on Charlies Paddock hes fine at the moment but it usually has to be sectioned off once growing comes in earnest.

Looking forward to my week off next week.

Acorn is back upat the field - but hes gone downhill again last few days thanks to a change in weather - wet & windy which he rarely copes with unless fully fit - he has a rug on and his bute - we wil see how he goes next few days - he looks awful thanks to the stiffness - bless him - but he has company so is not miserable in himsef - eating, pooing and weeing normally just very stiff- the other 3 are fine, Nuts has her rug on and happy - Tess has more grass and access to a mud patch she created so the term pig in muck comes to mind - hence her white bits are now almost fully blended with her blacks!
Charlie is miffed - a wussy excuse for a Native is protesting at being left out in the rain without a rug- he will have to get over it!
Trailer has gone for its service - daughter has after a hard few months treated herself to a new tow vehicle - a Ford Kuga - shes picking it up tonight - youngest and grandchildren have been staying with my brother in London this week so eldest has had her puppy - she started back at work part time this week so the past 4 days I have had Henry for 3 hours a day - for a small dog he demands hell of a lot of walks - I am back at work next weelk for a rest! I have other 2 grandchildren staying for the weekend - Emm and Thomas are coming over to play with them tomorrow afternoon whilst mum shops after their trip!

Well the week is finishing off better than it started, all that damn wind and rain, Acorn suffered a little dispite the rugging, he is on the up now the weather is! Nuts came into season and they look to have had some sort of fracas in the field looking at the skid marks and I caught him trying to mount, subsequently he has not done his back legs any favour, so he is on his own in a paddock between the girls and Charlie - he really does himself so favours being stupid!
He is still on the bute and I found some ginger+MSM rub that I got for Nuts last year and have been massaging that in twice a day - does look to be helping, I bought a bulk job of them and had 3 bottles left, good job as I looked to get some more and its from Germany and costs a bloody fortune. I have a bottle and a half left so hopefully that will do in the meantime I will watch out for any offers for it in the UK.

Trailer went in for its service, re plating and new number plate, taking longer as the floor at the back is not good - result we have bitten the bullet and having a replacement Alloy floor put in - more damn expense but better that than an injury or worse, trailer is 9 yrs old now and other than the modifications we had done for the Shetties its cost us nothing in maintenance other than an annual check on brakes/lights etc - Charlies a bit of a stamper so we were worried about the floor - righly as it seems .

all due for their worming again at the weekend, the boys having feet done on Monday and Nuts feet being checked and trimmed if needs be - they are a bit of mess after the problems last year so it will take a few trims to make them presentable again but shes sound so that's the main thing.

Good news is that Charlies fattening and training is coming on a treat , lunge work going very well and he has his extension back- daughter is working him and herself towards a local agricultural show in July for a Welsh Class - fingers crossedx

Strange weekend weather, dry with periods of glorious sunshine and heat then with the snap of fingers cloudy, windy and cold - come on summer I have so much to do but can't get motivated thanks to the weather.

We wormed them yesterday , they have had 2 x StrongidP (6 week entervals) - the boys and Nuts poo clear and no sign of worms, Tess showed a worm burden 6 weeks ago, two piles had a small amount in this morning so I will top her up again in 2 weeks - shes looking good but need to get her clear - weight wise, the girls are in fat club, despite being on next to nothing during the day and a little extra on the other side over night, both need to lose 10kg so they will only go into the other side every other night and see if that helps - Acorn and Charlie are both at maintenance weight so no problems there - I have started Nuts on a daily walk round the field to ensure exercise, should also fitten her up, once her feet have been checked we will have a walk out at weekends so she gets a change, it will also keep her joints free - she is running around the field and shows no signs of arthritic issues and want to keep her that way.
Charlie is good and his training is coming on well - Acorn is slowly improving each day, still on the bute, although I have started reducing and hes getting the liniment on twice a day and I am doing some gentle stretch exercises with his back legs once a day - this morning is the best he has been for a while - fingers crossed we are on the right track! Only have half a bottle of the liniment left so it will be back to the arnica/witchhazel after that, I am going to keep trying to source the MSM+ginger liniment in the UK and soon as I can find a good deal I will be getting some in - otherwise save up and get a reasonable order ready so it makes the huge international delivery charge worth it. I have used another product in the past but again can't source it in the UK but the results with what I am using now are very good so would prefer that. What I have I got a job lot off ebay of 4 bottles for Nuts, only used 1 on her - so was fortunate to have 3 left.

Farrier tonight for boys 4 weekly trim and Nuts a tidy up and rebalance if she needs it.

farrier visit went well, boys feet trimmed - no issues - Nuts had her fronts trimmed and rebalanced, they are looking good - farrier pleased with her and we can start her on some road work - he commented on her tummy but considering she is still at least 100kg under what she was when we got her not an issue - now we can exercise her more she should trim up - neither her or Tess are happy at the restriction but needs must, they will get it opened up tonight for them- Acorn a little more pottery on one leg this morning, but I expected that after having his feet trimmed - the transfer of weight etc - he should be a bit better tonight after a bit of Dr Sun. there is hardly any heat in the thigh areas now so that's good - will keep applying the liniment. I have managed to get some of the MSM+Ginger - just waiting for it to be delivered so trying to eek out the bit I have left.
We get the trailer back from service on Saturday, complete with replacement Alloy floor (cost a bloody fortune but it should last for as long as we need it now without us having to worry about one of them going through it), so we will have some trailer training over next few weeks with Charlie, not sure if it will sound different to the old floor so need to check him out before we try loading for a show.

Better day to day - Sun shine, odd cloud and not as much wind!

sun is shining and its warm after a very cold start, Acorn improved slightly again, infact what was his worst leg is much better and hes gone slightly backwards with his n/s I suspect due to taking strain off the other, but all in all plodding around the field happily eating whatever he can find, not gone backwards due to the cold weather so that's a good sign - management/meds still the same.

The others are fine, Nuts is getting her walk round the field once a day, although she has now realised that means work so daughter will have to catch her first, shes fine with me but I know her ways.

Friday already and its been very warm last 2 days, Nuts continue to have her daily 3 lap excursion round the paddock followed by Tess who is making sure we don't remove her, as a result they have both lost a few Kg.
I took Acorn out for a short walk last night, halfway on the grass and half on the road, much better than in the field - which is short , hard and rutty in places, he is keen to go thanks to the offering of some Grass at intervals, this morning he was able to fully extend one back leg in a stretch , the other is still slightly short but we are getting there I feel - a few weeks yet providing he don't do anything stupid, we have rain forecast early hours and all day tomorrow so that should soften the paddocks for them all - I will go up late tonight and pop a rain sheet on Nuts and Acorn just to help with the joints - they can come off as soon as the rain stops tomorrow.

Wishful thinking as far as rainsheets coming off - bloody weather - not been able to do anything I had planned for this weekend other than collect the trailer which is now 100% roadworthy again and ready for use .

weather has forced me to look at and sort unwanted items for ebay - so far 3 pairs of childs jodphur boots , 2 lots of kids show jods, 1 waistcoat (possibly 2) , l pair of HKM ladies boots (unworn thanks to my short legs) and it breaks my heart to say it the 12" suede show saddle we used for Acorn - now I have the saddlepad for showing and maxim for everyday use I cannot justfy storing it and head says sell it.

next hit is tack room as I have far more of everything that I can ever use - I hate getting rid of anything but really must.

another week over - the weather is up and down and the wind varies from stong to breezy - I have srcumbed to a virus of some sort so have elt crap all weekend, combined with the rainyesterday and wind today - summer appears to have gone round us - even with the rain the fields are rock hard - ponies okay - Acorn has had a couple of walk outs this week but is still up and down in recovery - the weather is not helping but with day temps of 15 then I don't really want to use rainsheet on him - no shivering on his part so will keep persevering.

Tess has been given access to th paddock I having been growing as she was a bit ribby- left Nuts on the next to nothing she is not best pleased! Charlie and Acorn are on the restricted and get 1/2 flap of hay each morning and night - weight is good - keep thinking the grass will come in hard and fast but no - feeding hay in the field in June is a novelty - but I daren't put them on full grass.

I am way behind with summer jobs at the yard - once I feel better I am going to have to give myself a kick up the backside and get on with them.

I have lapsed again with my pics once a month plan - I will get some before june is out!

Ihave mananged to sort more items for sale so they are now on ebayn- although I chickened out on selling the saddle - heart won - I will sel it one day but just not ready to let it go yet!

still feeling crap but at work - weather is shit, its so cold I think Summer has missed us here!
on a good note - Acorn is improving daily, I have started reducing the bute, he even put in a small trot last night following me with his Hay.
the girls are good - weight down and Nuts is looking quite trim, the daily laps of the field appear to be doing the trick.
Charlie is full of it and looking good

all we need now is some Sun!

1st July - failed yet again with Pics in June! blistering hot like the rest of the UK, Tess has been given access to the grass paddock and Nuts has been put back in with a steadily improving Acorn, strict instructions have been provided by myself to the pair of them, Nuts no bloody teasing and Acorn not trying to do anything about it - that way hopefully no more set backs!

sat at work in the sweltering heat, Comp system has fallen over so In private is only thing I can get to work - so here I am!

10th July, don't time fly! had some glorious weather, ponies good - Acorn is on the up, bute halved and hes moving around quite well now - will be better once feet are done, should have been Monday but is tomorrow now, so hes gone a few days over his normal 4 weekly which always causes him some issues with his fronts - we have had some rain this week so that has helped feet wise and he has shed some sole and frog and has more concavity in his fronts so brusing les of an issue now- might change once they are trimmed down , hopefully not - will see how he is on Monday and then look to reduce the bute again.

rain/sun combination means we have grass coming through - having to watch the littlies.

Farrier came sat morning - all 4 trimmed and no problems to report - we had rain overnight so that helped Acorn and today he much improved - rain due to morrow but if he continues then bute to be reduced again - going to try every otherda and see how it goes, if alls well then will reduce by 1/2 again - all had pour on applied on Saturday am - bloody flies! anyway seems to be doing the job.
Had a full social diary this weekend - two meals out and stuffed!

stil no pics - damn useless - next weekend maybe??

newrider.com