Our Gang - 2015

Sunday its very wet this morning - yesterday was windy but we made the most of it - Emm & Thomas are with me for the weekend and we had promised some riding - so with Acorn being for me a couple of weeks off being saddles up we tacked Niuts up - bearing in mind a year ago Vets sais she would probably not be ridden again the little lady defies them again - hers the pics

002.JPG 002.JPG 004.JPG

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    734.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    679.8 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Trewsers
children have gone home but we did manage a little inhand work at the field when the weather broke, Acorn after a long lay off - not ready to be ridden but some light work now needed - he was a little sod wanting everything his own way and on top taking the Mick form gave Emm the run around - Nuts on the otherhand was her usual little angelic self and her and Thomas had a great time
I am going to have to spend some time on Acorn and he is going to have to go on the bridle which he has more respect for!

a few pics from today

010.JPG 011.JPG 013.JPG

Well Acorn is on day 2 no bute will see how he goes - so far so good - give it a couple more days then we will try a walk out - if that goes well will do daily and increase steadily to fitten - fingers crossed ridden in a couple of weeks - been a long haul this time
0thers are fine - forcast not good for weekend - typical!

what a week, all that damn rain and cold brrrr!

shetlands had their rain sheets on due to it being 2 days of solid rain and then overnight when showers due for couple of days, seems to have done the trick, no shivering or shaking and both are sound, Acorn is fully off meds, he had a walk out on Sunday and was sound - he was a little shit from not being handled for so long, was going to be continuing the walk outs daily but the weather put paid to that - so come Saturday we will start again.
Tess is almost fully black at the moment, its the weathered look! Charlie is fine , but has had his exercise routine interrupted with the weather- back on the lunge today, the sun is shining - yeah! had hoped to show him this weekend but daughter is not fully up to the running out yet, we will see she maybe needs a little longer.

Had all the Grandchildren at the weekend, exhausting! although Devon did come with me in the morning before the rain started and he had a great time exercising Nut round the field - she is a little darling, so good with the Kids!

we have made the most of the warmer drier weather, charlie is being worked in his tack, hes been into the manage and we are starting his backing process again - hes had a few good sessions with daugher leaning over and me leading hes getting more relaxed about it - we will get there.

Acorn has been out ridden for the first time 2015 - a short hack - a little sod going out , much better coming back - we did a little work in the field but its always a task in there but must be done. not bad for a rusty little sod whos got used to do doing nothing.
Emma took thomas out on Nuts on the lead - she was perfect yet again - and the played around in the field for 10 minutes when we got back - Thomas loves trotting - although no signs of any up downs - something to work on - I now have 2 ponies and 3 grandchildren keen to get going - lucklily the same hat fits all - I have a range of boots so they all have foot gear - Emmas Jods are 2" up her legs - my shes grown - so a new pair needed - they fit Thomas he will just have to wear a T shirt over the top to cover pink waistband and sparklie buckle! Devon has long legs but tiny waist - so another pair to get - at least Thomas can grow into them. - daren't even think about show gear - they are going to have to share a jacket some how till I can get one for the boys -
Emmas shirt fits all 3 - but if 2 go then in bother so will see if I can pick up a secondhand one - we will look to a couple of fun shows this year for them so they can enjoy it - they may not want to do it next year so not going to spend a fortune, as long as they are smart then good enough for me. if I can pick up a boys waistcoat then that would do for inhand for both of them.

All 4 have been wormed and feet due tommorrow night.

all 4 had feet done yesterday morning - no problrm other than Acorn needed extra due to his feet recovering from his injury lay off, hes been sound for a month now and is still sound after the work - Emm took him out today - I didn't want too much road work today so took him into school at EC near us which have use of - he was keen to go out and forward going on the road but his usual trustworthy self - cue school - not helped by 6 dogs running around and one yapping at his heals he lost it - cantered across the school bucking dumping Emm - who is now seasoned with ending up on the floor - laughing she told him off and got back on - he was still wound up and she managed to stop him running so he decided to bronc on the spot - cue second dump for Emm - who got up brushed herself off told him off but we decided to call it a day in the school he was just not listening to her at all, she got back on and road him back up to the field and aross the field to the gate no problem - I tacked Nuts up for Thomas and we took him out on the lead on her with no antics at all - when we lef5 I heard Emm go over to Acorn and tell him that he could dump her as often as he liked but she would keep getting back on so he had better get used to the fact quick! made me smile - its only his second outing in almost a year so maybe I rushed him - we will go back to hacking and I will try and get him working in the school myself on the long rein and then ridden if needs be- he enjoys going out and is at the fence waiting when Emm arrives - just need to sort him out when worked in the field or school - they don't get enough together which doesn't help - we are trying to get Nuts off the lead and we have positive signs of that been a possibility - if so then Emm can do some work with her but I don't want to over do it -farrier is really pleased with Nuts- her feet are growing evenly now and its straightened her up - what we thought initially was conformation issue was in his opinion due to poor farriery during her brood mare years= she is sound and keen and moves well
if she has arthritis then we are either managing it extreemly well or its not as bad as the Vet implied - either way I am thankful she gives the children (and me) so much pleasure as does Acorn but in his own way - they are as different as chalk & Cheese character wise but united in there ability to make you smile!

plus the annual vintage ploughing day - 3 teams of equines this year - one from the isle of sheppy! more pics

Attachments

• 040.JPG
    040.JPG
    626.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 042.JPG
    042.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 043.JPG
    043.JPG
    646.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    619.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    721.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    702.8 KB · Views: 4
a quiet week for us, Emma & Thomas came on Tuesday and took Nuts out, she is a good girl! They have now gone on Holiday for a week , I took Acorn and Nuts out for a couple of walks and the other two grandchildren came on Saturday night, so Sunday morning I tacked Nuts up again and Devon had his first ride - he loved it - I took them round the village on the lead when Charlie had his walk out - as usual Nuts was a little star so his first experience of riding was a good one, he has longer legs than Emm so I need to find a longer pair of stirrups, they really needed to be down another hole but wasn't one left in the Junior leathers I have on for E & T, I have a pair of Nylon ones somewhere so will have to dig them out.
Rhianna came with us, she has eczema and an allergy to some Animal hair, after 12 years of being round the horses which she loves we have found out she has a definite reaction to horse hair - shes on a new anti allergen and cream which at last is sorting her skin out - it appears to be touch - she has a bigger reaction to Acorn than the others - now its under control she has started to come to the field again and is currently avoiding the touch, although Sunday she did hold Charlie on the end of the Lead rope and walk him a short distance which put a smile on her face, no reaction so hopefully when she is with us she can do a bit more - she loves going on Tess but we daren't risk it at the moment - hopefully she will get back on at some point.

seems a while since I last updated - pretty quiet pony wise - all well - daughter is on hols in Jamaica so busy having all 4 to do-much easier with them all been out - we are mid grass flush but all coping so far under management - although we have Tess in a section of the winter field over night as she was dropping weight - fine now been busy getting things done for winter - Acorns stable now decobwebbed and washed out - had some hay delivered in today - just packed haylage to come in over next couple of weeks plus extra bedmax - rugs back for wash,proof and repair (charlie again- is best fitting rug is more patch than rug). got him a new one same brand,type and shape but it don't fit the same - figure they must have changed something in the design! Had a burning day at the field yesterday - shed to finish clearing ready for some haylage bales to go in for Tess for the really bad days over winter - decided not to give her hay as her COPD was irratated by it and she only had one bale over last winter - Nuts will be happy whatever!

The boys will have silvermoor lite in the stable and hay in the field.

We have a new addition in the yard (not ours) bit so it will be a busier over winter .

IST October already! time goes faster as you get older!

Daughter is back from her Jamaican Jollies, so I am getting some help with them all again, I managed to get the shed up at the field cleared out ready, have moved the fencing back off where it gathers most water when the rain starts in a hope to extend the paddock use, we are rotating them to give each paddock some rest time - as well as keeping down grass intake, after a grassless summer its look green and lush - not good for ours in quanitity, cold nights -damp mornings and warm sunny days - we are def on lammi alert. - The leaves are falling now - so waiting for the damn spinners to come down- so we can gather up before they become a danger, need to keep an eye on the Oaks in the yard turnout as well - but they will be a few weeks behind the others, they have fruit this year.
We have an abundance of brambles up in the hedgerow this year - normally the ponies get at them but they are away from them this year - plenty of :pies!

Farrier tonight for all 4 - Tess has gone 12 weeks as she didn't have enough on to be a worry last time - should be this time with the grass flush!

I missed out on my Sept Pics , so need to get some this week - before the weather turns!

feet done, all looking good - although Acorn decided he was not going to have his done without a fuss - he did 10+ laps of the paddock at a gallop before finally giving in to curiosity when I put a feed tub lid in the middle - the farrier says we should enter him for the National next year! I will settle for an injury free 12 months! but with his antics there is no wonder he is always in bother.

another very foggy morning, but the sun is burning through so its looks like it will be another Sunny day!

2 weeks on and ponies are fine, fields are holding up (just) with careful management - getting greasy now, this morning was the first morning I have had to have the torch to find the Poo! I am not a winter person at all , it cold - damp mornings and sunny during the day the moment - not had too much rain - but the water table is obviously filling up causing the ground conditions, other than a small patch in one corner of the winter field opened up for Tess overnight it remains untouched ( unless you can class the 2 opportune breakouts by the sh*tland) - Tess was on it this time last year - but we still have grass growing!

Ponies are laying their winter fat despite being on next to nought - Coats are well on now - so we are now at that time of year when Acorn has no feeling or respect for Electric, he is in the Sin Bin this morning (front well wired paddock)
on his own, the little sod decided he would make a break into the winter field this morning and didn't have the decency to wait until I had left, so armed with feed tub and halter I managed to get him and frog march him through the bigger day paddock - the girls watching on smugly - and to his disgust into their smaller night paddock - Charlie went over to him no doubt to give sympathy as he is on his own all the time but got a nip on the nose for his trouble - so no doubt he will be spending more time on his own now - hes usually good as gold for a couple of days after a breakout and sin bin when put back in the bigger paddock and then repeat offends so ends back at square one - while its still growing I am reluctant to leave it to chance with his history - once the frosts come and we stop grass growth then the odd breakout is not too much of a worry as the winter field is left to grow all summer and much is long and lost its strength, with that being later this year and no sign of frosts in the forecast for us yet then that's some way off, will keep the winter feed bill down then so always a silver lining!

had the bags of equilage for Tess/Nuts and the silvermoor lite to mix with the hay for the boys delivered in last week plus 3 months feed supply, Had more bedding supplies (with a discount) and 3 months worth of Happy hoof delivered as well, its the molasses free they have brought out so will see how it goes down, theres ~£2 a bag off it at the moment so seemed silly not to, ordered bedding in for new girl at yard as well hence the discount so win win, free delivery and feed and haylage bales stacked tidy in trailer to boot- saving me a job, which was just as well as I pulled a muscle in my Neck last weeked stripping wall paper so have been next to useless all week other than feeding and poo picking.
Just a few pre winter jobs left to do and then ready for whatever it throws!

Day 3 of the Mollasses free Happy Hooves, they have not turned their nose up - which is good, wolfed down and licked out buckets, all looking good!

Very Windy this morning, its drying up the sodden ground after yesterdays rain, fenced Charlie off the bottom of the field, need to save it for as long as I can, top of fields still good.
Acorn and Nuts are still in the bottom paddock as I can't trust the little sod not to go through the fence , I have 4 days off from tonight so I will check fences in the light tomorrow and let them through for a few hours, at least if gets through I can restrict him rather than leave him on it all day when I am at work if he does it.

Busy weekend , have sorted the electric out at the field and repatriated fence posts and wire for the boys turnout paddock at the yard will get that up this afternoon and dare I say it other than bedding to go down in the stables when its time for them to come in we are winter ready! got ther in the end.

I have still got no photos for October - I hope to rectify that later today.

newrider.com