Our Gang - 2015

Here we are in November, No Pics - I am bloody useless at remembering to take my camera!

thanks to the deluge of rain over the past few days the Boys where brought up to the yard for Winter on Saturday - they have both been stood at the gates begging to come in for a few days, almost put their bridles on themselves, no napping up to the yard protesting about leaving the field and they where happy enough in the stables with their Hay! the others at the yard came in as well so all stables are now full for winter and its busy morning and night whilst we all get back into routine! It was a very noisy Sunday Morning - Acorn deciding that it was time to get into his winter paddock which has a bit too much grass in it so advertised the fact loudly that he was in and not to be forgotten - he had a grass belly when he came in and didn't want his hay, but true to form it had all gone this morning and I left him shouting to go out, daughter will put him out at 8.00am when she comes , him and Charlie will be brought in a 4.00pm to limit grass time and hopefully keep the paddocks from chewing up too quickly.
Nuts is now in with Tess in the winter field , both happy - they have had 3 geldings move into the field next to them where the bullocks where so Tess has been dictating their movements for a couple of days whilst she taught them she was boss even over the fence - little madam - but it seems what she says goes up there and none are arguing with her.

the summer paddocks are under water at the bottom and very muddy now - so will be able to recover with the ponies off them.

Finding everything been a bit traumatic - half of it in the field store and half up at the stables but will get it sorted over the week.

just a quick update, weather is horrible here, boys are settled up at the yard and quite happy - the girls are fine in the winter field, for the first time since Tess was retired she is now sporting a lightweight turnout, she normally hates rugs but daughter has just rung me to say she put it on and went back to see if it needed any adjustment, Tess took one look , glared and in true fashion shoed Nuts up the field and cantered off, turned round and gave her a glare as if to say no way is it coming off now! shes 25 and it looks as though she has started to feel the Wind and damp - we bought it as an emergency for really bad weather but if shes more comfortable with it we may have to get another so we can change it if needs be. Nuts is now cantering round the field in a strop at been shoed off for no reason other than Tess being the boss! for a pony who would never come right shes doing pretty damn well!

We had first frost last night - welcome Winter!

Frosty weather and hard ground with lakes - not an ideal combination for ponies or us! To top it all got up to the field this morning to feed the girls, didn't have torch with me (another story) but went to adjust Nuts rug to met with a Naked wet , cold little girl - checked the lower area where we feed them but couldn't find it in the dark, so daughter is going to check the field for it this afternoon, hopefully she has just done a Houdini like last year and crawled out of it!
Tess's rug was still in tact so don't think its going to be anything more than that! luckily I had another rug in the store at the field so put that on her, she looked pleased to be covered up again.
Charlies paddock at the yard is down to dirt, Acorns is still passable, we have while March to go - its only lasted 3 weeks - its a good job its only used for turnout and somewhere to stretch their legs , they are in on a night.

We had a major water burst down the lane and the nearby town was without water for a couple of days - we lost pressure but that's all , we filled everything we could up at the yard just in case we had to be switched off.

Rug found after search of field, same as last year inside out with all buckles, straps still fastened o_O her replacement rug was intact this morning and she was much happier than when she was found naked yesterday morning!

Not been on for a while, nothing much to report , weather poop, fields poop - Dark morning and night - rarely see them in daylight - otherwise lifes rosey! if you can count recent run in with villager who has trashed her field and managed to get FO to let her track up the side of ours into the top field, so the entrance to our field, and bottom to top along the fence are now trashed, these are the fields we bring ours off so this does not happen, shes off now after I spoke with the FO - it was soul destroying - 2 weeks and its crap - might as well have left ours on it, shes back in her own now which tbf looks better than ours in the access areas, FO is going to stone the gate entrance for us to help, hopefully it will recover now its not been used in time for when the boys go back out in March.!

its been dry most of this week, still plenty of lakes but the fields are looking better and grass is still growing! boys are in today, shooting season underway and they beat alongside the boys paddocks at the yard which causes mayhem if they are out, they didn't complain, think they would rather have comfy stable than the now trashed muddy paddocks they are in! we have vets for injections Thursday afternoon so will need to get the head collar on Nuts on the morning so I have a chance of catching her, boys are in so no probs there and Tess is not till May. same 3 due for farrier on 28th for trims, we have a shoot on boxing day so boys will be in then, which works well as we are out in the afternoon.

Nuts, Acorn and Charlie have all had their Jabs and their feet trimmed.

the fields flooded at the weekend but its gone down now, although water is lying on the surface so every foot and hoof print fills up with water on impact.

Charlie and Acorn are messing around with their feeds - Charlie has lost condition (not to be confused with weight) so needs some work - roll on better weather and extended daylight hours - Acorn is black, the others have rugs on but still the same effect on the exposed bits!

at work today but then off till next week so hopefully weather permitting we will be able to get more done.

newrider.com