Our Gang 2018

Lemme

May 22, 2008
East Yorkshire
Hot, hot, hot! no grass other than what we allow Tess to go on, rang our hay supplier last night to see if per chance the small bale hay had come in, not a chance he will have it nearer winter but farmer won't let it go yet as he will get better price later in year. I am getting 2 big bales of hay delivered tonight but they are going to have to stand outside until Sunday till we can get them split down and the flaps stacked, our storage does not have big entrance so can't get them dropped straight in which is why we get small bale. got them at reasonable prices considering the stupid ammounts people are having to pay due to lack of grass, a lorry load on local market last week they were selling them at £9.00 a small bale and sold out in 2 hours. He has promised me he will call as soon as he get the small bale in but can't give me a price at moment. The hay been delivered is early cut this year, I normally feed older hay so I am going to have to soak it before feeding, its feffing summer I should not be doing this!!!! I have never before had to feed hay like this in summer months, we manage the grass but pretty obvious without the wet stuff it don't grow, so none left to bloody manage. They are not getting huge ammounts to have to have something, they get their bucket feed morning and night so its just to supplement. we will see what the weigh tape says this weekend against last weekend.

Reactions: mystiquemalaika

Lemme

May 22, 2008
East Yorkshire
Hay delivered in, one bale split and fills the whole of the little store, the other bale to split on Sunday and half up to field, rest in field shelter at yard. lovely hay, will just have to be careful how fed.
way too hot for me again today......... usually get Friday off from pony duty but I am on feed and poo pick tonight so will be all sweaty betty again.

Lemme

May 22, 2008
East Yorkshire
Well nothing goes quite to plan, weather too bloody hot for me - Farrier cancelled waiting for new date, although as they are not on grass then there is little growth anyway.

weigh taped Gem, had a bit to lose and who is now only 10kg off her target weight so happy there, Tess is maintaining hers and Charlie has put some on so is now only 10kg off his target weight. not done the shetlands but looking at them expect around the same as they were.

Daughter came early on Saturday and managed to ride Gem in the hay field , not quite as hard as the schooling paddock, she is transitioning into Canter on one rein nicely now, the other requires more work but getting there, very pleased with her,
lifted the Cavalletti pole in the Schooling paddock and she did a few small jumps over that , but nothing too heavy as the ground is rock hard and need to look after those legs, she does trotting poles as if they are not there now and is lifting her legs nicely, the more variety the better for her keeps her interested, it's too hot to work her after about 10.00 am , it was 24 at the field at 8.00 on Sunday. As soon as we get softer conditions then we will bring the jump wings up and give her more to think about.

The others are okay , Myst is much better now and SOL was able to give her a stroke and catch her without any issues on Sunday, she wouldn't go near him previous weekend so the work with her is paying off.

We are still waiting for softer ground for us to lay Nuts ashes to rest, in the meantime we say hello to her every morning, I do still miss her.........

Lemme

May 22, 2008
East Yorkshire
much the same here this week, hot , humid and no grass! Charlie, Acorn and Nuts are getting a small amount of hay in the field to keep something running through them and maintain weight. Farrier is coming tomorrow , will check all 5 but lack of grass has meant very little hoof growth and what there is they are taking off on the hard ground, suspect he will just check for balance and trim if needs be, he only charges us if he actually does any real work on them, looking forward to see how Myst responds to him and get his take on her foot health at moment, no problems displaying but no doubt he will find some balance work required to get them to were he wants them, trust him to do what is right for her.
Also booked her in for her first round of injections, 3rd August, we have no record of her having them before, but it is a duplicate passport created when she went through Sales, her passport has come back so everything as should be now, just need to make sure her chip is recorded but it should be going through the society.
Charlie and Gem had a walk out in hand up to the yard last night, traffic is busy through the village so this is good for them, Charlie is a star now out on the road , Gem is good with most traffic but would like her to see more.

The Gelding next door is going to be on an Asbo if hes not careful, hes bent two sections of wooden fence which owner has now strengthened and we have run tape across top and put it onto our power so he gets a nice zap. hes found the fence line which is not covered so is now testing that, so owner is going to extend the tape for that. Last night there was an almighty crash and banging and when owner checked the little sod had pulled the stable door and the door frame out so he has that to fix now, thought Gem was bad enough but she seems to have stopped, maybe just enjoying watching him get into bother.

Lemme

May 22, 2008
East Yorkshire
Well the farrier visit was interesting :) not much trimming required on the gang due to obvious lack of good grass . We introduced him to Myst who we had already been warned does not like feet doing - understatement to say the least - although she is not scared at all by it she has learnt that if she acts scared and plays up she can get away with it, the little madam, she shakes but her ears are forward and her eyes watching her prey all the time, this time that did not work and she stopped shaking and decided to play up instead , farrier was getting the better of her and she was submitting however he inadvertently caught the clasp on the lead rein and you can guess what happened next, 0-60 in less than a second and not to be caught again, luckily we knew she didn't need doing it was more to see her reaction and start her off in routine and work out a plan for future. we have enlisted the help of son in law who is now her appointed trainer, leading and desensitising her , for someone who claims hes not equestrian hes not doing a bad job, I think she has wormed her way into his heart bless her, she stands while he grooms and picks her legs up and give him long looks which appear to be melting him, his strength means she can't take the mick which is what she needs, daughter had the initial ski-ing lesson fortunately the hedge stopped the run. We are catching her every day and she is fine with that now , although we still have her headcollar or flymask on to aid us. we have a couple of weeks before her injections so fingers crossed for that one, her behaviour probably explains the lack of any injection history - my vet will be pleased - not!

We had rain last night, a good old thunderstorm but tbh not made much difference other than its fresher and less humid, its going take a lot more for land to start recovering and nothing much in forecast now.

others okay, Tess struggling to keep weight on with the heat, so glad its a bit cooler today for her.

Lemme

May 22, 2008
East Yorkshire
Myst's education continues, after feet we had a social, kids, SOL and Acorn joined in , confined space and no lead rein on and no attempt to run off - she is learning quickly that running off is not always best. Educating Myst.jpg

Lemme

May 22, 2008
East Yorkshire
this weather is too oppressive, we have storms forecast overnight, tomorrow and into Saturday morning, I am not going to complain about the rain if it runs off and floods - I need to cover the hay tonight and then batten down, no doubt by weekend the bottom paddocks will be trashed but will have to live with it - its going to be cooler low 20's can also live with that and sure the gang can..........

Lemme

May 22, 2008
East Yorkshire
20180803_105307-1_resized.jpg Great day.today. travelled myst and Acorn up to yard today. Myst had her first jabs today she was a little star. They are in the little grass paddock up at the yard and will be stabled overnight, will stay up at least a week and we will be working on her feet ready for farrier visit. It will rest the paddock up at field.

Lemme

May 22, 2008
East Yorkshire
had farrier at the weekend, all done, Myst took the farrier on again, the farrier won! all 4 feet done but she fought for each leg and she meant it, teeth, kicking and squashing, she is not scared or nervous, suspect she has learnt that if she creates enough of a fuss everyone will give up but once she realised it was going to happen whatever she submitted and stood fine, only to be repeated when the next foot was picked up, she really tested him. on a day to day basis she is allowing us to pick up and pick out, some feet better than others but you just have to be firm with her, little minx. She is having her head collar off in the stable now overnight and put on for leading out and in the field, she is coming to the gate and standing for the lead rope to be clipped on to go in now, so hopefully we will try taking off in the yard paddock before she goes back up to the other field. She will be coming back in for her next injection in a week or so and then stay up for the next farrier visit (4 weeks for Acorn) not expecting she will need doing but we want him to at least pick up and balance with rasp if nothing else as we need her manners to improve in this respect. In every other way she is showing respect just her farrier visits - we will get there but expecting it to take some time.

We have had some rain so grass is recovering at long last.

Tess is still being fed Haylage as she has suffered with the heat and her COPD and lost weight- she has access to grass all day but tends to stop In the bottom paddock when Gem is moved into the bare paddock during the day, so we give her haylage in a morning and she is eating it all in the absence of a lot of grass in the bottom area. Gem needs to lose some weight hence why she is split out during the day. Charlie is doing okay, could do with a tad more weight but he is getting hay as his field is short on green.

Lemme

May 22, 2008
East Yorkshire
Well nearly another month over, its cold wind and wet today with some sunshine in between. Tess is better for not having the searing heat. not happy with her weight still, we put her in the winter field so she has acres of good grass to herself and she has but some back on but is still looking poor, we have put her onto Baileys No15 senior mix this week and she loves it, bucket is cleaned to an inch of its surface - and last few days she has more energy and back end looking better, still ribby but that's normal with her COPD. she has a good coat on her now which does not help in mid 24 heat. Myst has her 2nd injection next week so will be coming back up to the yard Monday - will rest their paddock up the Hill, as it took 2 days for them to eat nearly 3 weeks of green growth off it so bare again!! we haven't had that much rain in the great scheme of things to keep much grass in the summer paddocks, may need to rethink for next year if we get anything like a repeat.

Lemme

May 22, 2008
East Yorkshire
Myst had her 2nd jab up at the field and was a good girl. We had Tess checked over whilst he was there, she is much improved weight wise with her new feed and the plentiful grass, he was not concerned, her COPD is under management and he is happy with that so no med change at this stage, shes just an oldie with issues that associate with that combined with her COPD, checked her heart and lungs and she is coping very well .

Lemme

May 22, 2008
East Yorkshire
not too much happened this end, Tess has continued to improve weight wise, shetlands are doing what they always do searching out food, Charlie has put some weight back on and we have just brought him back into light lunging to try and improve his top line a bit. Gem continues to add to her moves, she is now doing a nice transition into canter, her carriage and work through walk is almost there, she is hardly lifting her head now on transition from walk to trot, still a little high but refuse to tie her back she will come right as she strengthens and balances and she has now found her canter stride and is doing a nice transition both in and out, room for improvement all round especially for her head carriage but when she does come on the bit and works through then its lovely to see and to ride to according to daughter, just need to put it all together and maintain it, one rein we are almost there, her other rein is getting there but the balance improvement is visible.

She is working with trotting poles, both on the floor and lifted and has done a very small jump, she enjoys this so she tends to get the opportunity for 5 minutes at the end of a session.

vocal back up to aids have almost gone, she is extremely responsive to rider aids and a very quick learner, so is daughter who has finally decided its easy to maintain her seat than have me shouting corrections at her - she has a weak back but the body protector is a brilliant aid for support and as her muscles build then she finds maintaining her position easier, she was compensating for her sore back by leaning, leaning or change in body shape confuses Gem for what is being asked.
a lot of training this year for both of them, daughter had got lazy rider syndrome and Gem hadn't a clue - totally green, hopefully by next season they will be intune, we may put a few lessons in just to tidy up - I am no pro instructor but can help with basics and we don't want her excluded from Home produced classes so have to be careful, we hoped to get her out still this year to at least one novice class but just may wait now and bring her out next year.