Our Gang 2018

quiet weekend, good day schooling with Gem on Saturday, everything is starting to come together now really pleased with her.

All ponies wormed , Tess has put weight back on bringing her back into acceptable weight bracket, Gem is at the higher end of her weight bracket , Myst and Acorn, coats coming in and under normal weight but not worried at all. Charlie is under where we would like him, so he getting 1 soaked Net and 1 unsoaked net now, we have brought him into light work so that is changing his shape as well, will check him again next weekend, due to lami cannot risk putting him onto any grass at moment as soon as he gets some his neck goes up, fine line management for him. a couple more weeks and we should be able to relax a bit with him.

Reactions: mystiquemalaika
Well I always know when the coats are coming in nicely - Acorn's is now at the stage where it protects him from shocks as he goes through the fence, found him this morning at the top of the winter field , stuffing his face! I do love him but he is a little sod, he had the top gate down and the bottom and looks like he has jumped the middle rope still attached, Myst bless her stayed where she should be and he got a right telling off when I put him back in.

Well after the dry spell, yesterday it hammered down and gales overnight, got soaked through to the skin last night feeding up, paddocks all covered in standing water but had soaked away this morning however the damage done by little hooves means a rethink tomorrow , suspect the schooling paddock is going to be too wet and slippery for much more work on it now, will decide if it is will shorten it down and make Charlies paddock bigger and then move the Shetlands as their paddock is mud now. more rain today so its just going to make it worse.

Well October already, I have 4 weeks to go before I fully retire, can't come soon enough, no more dark 6.00am starts.............. much the same here, daughter forgot to put the electric on Shetland fence so went up next morning to both of them trotting out of the hay store having just finished breakfast following a night on knee length grass!!! little sods, they flaked out for the morning before recovering ready for their night feed. fortunately no lasting effects other than a telling off from me and Charlie in a bad mood as he had to stand and watch, including them helping themselves to his morning haynet. Farrier next weekend and Mysts second trim, we are going to try her at the field, less chance of her killing the farrier by squashing him into the stable walls....she is much better now about having her feet picked out but it is still quite a jump from us to the farrier for her.........

Well the naughty shetlands have gone back into their middle paddock after 2 days of escapology and breaking down of fence posts and have been presented ASBO by my daughter!

They are as round as they are high due to extended periods in long grass, thankfully no worse for wear but now on controlled hay diet again. Little sods!

Well it was party time at the field overnight, my day off, daughter rang me to let me know 4 of them had decided to rearrange their field management, Myst ended up with Charlie who was on his own and Gem who was on her own ended up with Acorn who was in with Myst, temporary grazing management in place as one section down and five poles broken, so Gem locked in back, and other 3 running together until I can get back up to night to sort it out, so much for a day off

20181014_133027-1.jpg 20181014_133004-1-1.jpg 20181014_133121-1_resized.jpg We had the bloodhounds in the village at the weekends, high winds and rain but a great turnout, approx. 70 of varing size, age and ability - wonderful to watch 20181014_133027-1.jpg 20181014_133004-1-1.jpg

sorry about quality of photos but horizontal rain and wind was a bit of a challenge

Last edited:
Cold nights and lovely sunny warm days - Gem ridden on Saturday and inhand round the village on Sunday, reinforcing her education on both counts, a very good girl, not ridden for 2 weeks and straight back into it, she loves to work and she loves the praise she gets when she has done it right, she is going to be fun next year and looking forward to getting her into the show ring.

Charlie, Acorn and Myst are running together in the training paddock during the day and into their own on a night. seem to have sorted out their Pecking order, Charlie is definitely the Boss, think that's why him and Gem do not hit it off as both don't like giving in, typical both Welsh attitude, the Shetland fits in anywhere their main concern is an easy life and food. the only one Charlie gives respect and head status to in Tess as do all the others , even in her 29th year she holds court.

the gelding next door has been moved but only after destroying the wooden fence line yet again, the Mare and her 2 year old filly are back and the situation has calmed down, both Gem and Charlie did not like him at all, hence fighting over fence and broken fencing on his part, he's a big boy, although weight and power wise nothing compared to Gem with her Welsh C Cob build.

I have taken some of the electric fencing back so the tractor can get in with a large bale of hay to go in field shelter, just need to catch farmer to let him know we are ready, waiting for 40 small bales to come in up at the yard, will be happier once its all in ready for winter, I cleaned the hay store out at the yard so ready for it up there. Have had to do some paddock clearing at the yard, full of bloody mushrooms and fungi with not been used, looks good again now, need to spray the woodchip to stop it. Oak trees are shedding up there so will go up with the blower next weekend, also a few branches to cut back out of reach of them.

sorted rugs out , now in store at field in case needed, just need to try Myst with Nuts old rugs think they will be ok 4' 3" similar build. If not plenty of 4ft rugs as both have full wardrobe infact they have more than I thought, will see what gets used this winter may have to sell some off next year or even this if they don't fit. they really only need a couple or so think they have about 4 or 5 of different weights, will see.

Gems rugs have been repaired, she has 3 need to check still fit, Tess and Charlie both have 3 each ( one is more of a patchwork quilt with straps -Charlie again but is great as a spare - it is also the best fit, ripped to fit so to speak)

last week of night working as clocks go back next weekend - dark nights and dark mornings here we come.

yeah - I only have 7 more working days and then I officially retire -

Well I am on count down, my last Monday at work and 2 more days to go. went out on Friday Lunch for a leaving do with colleagues, paid for by the Company, received a lovely Seiko watch and 2 lots of vouchers , one of which is for R & R so my new Winter Coat is being decided on.

The weekend was wet/sunny and we had snow. not settled thank goodness but a reminder of what's to come. We decided yesterday to try a Rug on Myst, doesn't need one yet but need to be prepared, took a gamble on her being approx. the same as Nuts, who had an extensive wardrobe and hey presto fits like a glove 4ft 3", although didn't realise I had so many so may let one or two go. She was a little hesitant at first, tensed when first put over her back, but we reassured her and took our time fitting it then she was walked round the field a few times to get used to the feel of it - no worries she was very accepting of it, of course its come off, a Shetland coats need very little help other than the worst of weathers when it's more to make us feel better and stop dogooders making comments regarding welfare leaving them out in such weather without- god forbid, the amount of coat they have would be the equivalent of many layers of clothing for me.

Tess and Charlie are rugged, both struggle with weight , Tess due to age and health issues and Charlie due to his lammi management - have been checking them under their no fills, neither were happy about us even thinking of removing them!
Tess tells with her face/ears and Charlie with his teeth and legs, if they want them off they stand like a dream.

Hay is being given both ends of the day now for the littles and Gem is getting haylage, Tess has 3 acres of Grass to herself so is not in need of any. Gem is only getting it as she is unrugged, the grass is going down and she has lost a little weight, her coat is slowing coming in but will.

I have tidied up the top paddock at the yard again and cleaned out the rug store and the hay store, 50 small bales coming in on Sunday - gone up from £4.00 to £5.50 a bale this year. We will also get a large bale of hay in up at the field as soon as I can catch the farmer.

Farrier for the boys next Saturday.

Keen frost this morning.

Well got 60 bales hay delivered in. Ponies have turned noses up at it .so mixing it with some old hay. Ungrateful sods at £6.00 a bale.

Well its been so busy this retirement first time been able to come on and update. Not much changed other than 5 very hairy muddy ponies. After the long hot summer we now have had nothing but rain. The ponds are now filling up in Gems paddock. We have second shoot of season on Tuesday. Farrier in 2 weeks and jabs for the boys a week on Monday. Bonfire night hereither lasted 2 weeks but we got through it. Ponies will eat some bales but pick at the others.Charlie and tess both rugged.

Well December is nearly over, not sure where time has gone. The boys are at the yard. Fields resemble wetlands yet again. All ponies well .not much to report ad nothing much happening due to conditions. Have failed in my quest for monthly photos after starting so well, so will staRte again for my gang 2019.

newrider.com