Our Gang - a morning from Hell............

Lemme

May 22, 2008
East Yorkshire
Daughter who does mornings has rung me, took her while as she has been waiting for her heart rate to return to normal............

She goes up to the field as normal buckets in hand,P*ssing down with rain and field full of mud - Girls first - Nuts nowhere to be seen which starts alarm bells as normally all 3 waiting, Tess is stood on the Hill with Gem Close behind, Tess Sees buckets and then all hell breaks loose, she starts marching across the field closely (very closely)followed by Gem Hopping on 3 legs ( well mainly 2).
Heart rate rises and worst fears are going through daughters head , double take and it appears Gems front leg in stuck in the fillet strap on Tess's rug, Tess can't wait for daughter to release her and barges her way through to her feeding area with Gem hopping behind on 2 legs at this stage , electric gate, wire and posts at this point are flying in all directions, Tess now has food and fortunately we have quick release clips on fillet strap so daughter is able to release Gem, who promptly puts all 4 on the floor , huffs and marches off for her bucket as though nothing has occurred, this is the third stuck incident its usually fence and fortunately she has never panicked just waited to be rescued. At this point Nuts is spotted behind the pole in the field and once situation is as normal as can be she comes over for her bucket - not daft that one!

Daughter spends next 10 minutes sorting out poles and fencing and checking ponies to make sure no cuts , scrapes or signs of lameness for Gem., then turns her attention to the boys.

Not to be outdone, they appear to have had some sort of barney, bottom end of electric fence is all over the place with poles in all angles, Acorn is in the summer field with his head in the bag of hay - has polished off nearly 2 flaps and so full didn't eat all his dinner and has a belly so no morning hay for him, Charlie is at the other side mad as hell as he has obviously had to stand and watch Acorn having sole control of his breakfast.
So daughter spends another 10 minutes sorting out their fencing and putting little sh*te back.

So guess what I'M doing tonight, yes - refencing the girls feeding area and checking Gem to make sure she is no worse for wear after her incident.

It could have been a lot worse and if we have got away with no injury then we count ourselves fortunate, we have had a leg stuck in straps before - own horse own rug , but not this, fortunately Tess being a golden oldie she doesn't run anywhere anymore.

What on earth has got them all going during the night...glad Gem seems ok for getting herself tangled up and yeah Nuts sounds like a smartie to stay out of the way until all was resolved :)

Oh no! your poor daughter :( I had this back in the day with Solly when Bertie donk was a stroppy young colt...they shared a stable to wander in and out of and one morning they didn't appear, I found them both in there with Bertie off the floor completely at the front end with one front leg completely hooked down the front of Solly's rug. Luckily like yours, S was a calm old chap by then and didn't panic - but I still had to sacrifice the front of the rug to a sharp knife to free Bertie. He did have a horrible deep cut right up in his armpit but it healed in a couple of weeks. I have to say my BP rocketed when I first saw the muddle but thank goodness no long term injuries :(

:eek: What a day!

I’m not a vet, or a doctor, but I actually am a lush, and I prescribe the liberal application of gin to the owner. ;)

Reactions: Taffie
I think that's where the term it doesn't rain it pours comes from.
So glad they are ok. Might be a bit sore. Why don't companies make straps from leather anymore. They used to didn't they. I am not imagining it?

Oh lord! That sounds like a day and a half!! Hope you got everything sorted, Lemme...

Thanks all, well Gem seems so worse for wear after her episode, they where all a little quieter last night when I went up then again I had my WTF don't mess with me face on, repairing fencing in the bloody rain is not my idea of fun after a full days work.

Daughter has not rung me this morning yet so hopefully no repeats and just a one off unexplained incident - tbh we are both just relieved it could have been so much worse.

Reactions: Jessey
I know it's not funny, but having discovered that no-one was hurt, I did grin just a little bit at the image of Tess 'coming in' for her food, ready or not, with poor Gem given no choice in the matter. Sorry about your fencing though, I hope your stern face has subdued them all for a little while at least!

Just when you think they have thrown everything at you they come up with something different and throw it in the mix :) once over the shock and what could have been I chuckled a little at the picture as I know what Tess is like, just pleased that we started using leg straps to replace fillet strings years ago, having the clip on both ends means if you get a situation like this you can unclip and release quickly without messing around having to cut it (and that's if you have a knife or scissors with you) and putting yourself at risk any longer than you need to.

Daughter rang to say they were all okay this morning, behaved themselves and all where they should be - long may it last.(till the next time)

Only just seen this, they dont do things by halves do they. Glad all was ok though x

yep , we check twice a day, god knows what trouble we would be in with ours if we didn't :)_
Ours are checked about the same if not more between everyone. Is everyone present being the first thing everyone does.

newrider.com