Our second attempt at stressage

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
Today my friend and I took our Exmoors to a local dressage competition. A very posh affair it was, too! Appley was the smallest equine there by (excluding my friend's 13hh pony!) about 2 hands, everyone looked dead serious and ever so proficient!! in their mahoosive Oakley horseboxes!!!

Needless to say, we were the only two contenders doing the walk & trot test in our 'pick a test' class :tongue:

I'm still notn over the ridiculousness of wearing white gloves with an M&M outfit!

JAZZ HANDS!!

P1000675.jpg

off we trundle - after an embarrassing false start!!! I mistook someone's bell-like mobile phone ringtone for my cue to start!!! oops!!

P1000697.jpg

P1000694.jpg

P1000688.jpg

Appley saying HELLO! to my friend who was calling and the OH who was taking pics (not appropriate, I know ...)

P1000700.jpg

P1000705.jpg

P1000699.jpg

We got 57.31% which I was very pleased with considering her age, the fact we don't have a school at home and that she spends 95% of her ridden time hacking!!!

Comments were useful, too - and exactly what I would have expected :)

nosepoking, needs to be rounder - we're working on it

judge happy with the rhythmic paces :D

and Appley 'appeared attentive' - :wub:

Julia
x

Oh well done! Appley looks so dinky. I am glad the judge gave you such helpful comments.

If you figure out how to stop nose poking, will you tell me????

she's having a month off now because she's been really quite busy lately (she's only 5 and 3/4!!!), then its .... ADULT GYMKHANA!!!!!!!!!!! in March :D can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps: the nosepoking! keeping her busy by riding squares, diamonds, half halts seems to keep that nosey nose at bay! but we're still working on that part, she likes to be nosey and distracted still!

Last edited:
Oh she's literally gorgeous:) you both look good together and I'm really pleased the comments were useful and helpful to you:) well done:)

Just love Exmoors and she looks lovely! I remember years ago when we were kids, we had an elderly Exmoor called Nip (who was about 17) - and there was a good reason for her name!

We used to 'break in' the other ponies, most unscientifically, and when we got a bit cocky the chap who owned all the ponies who was very old (to us at 13), used to say 'Nip needs to be ridden' and one of us who had clearly been unbearable was chosen.

Nip was far too wide for any of the saddles available so bareback you had to go, and Nip bucked like a cow, out sideways! You would get a quarter of the way down the private back lane and Nip would buck you off and arrive home happily!!!

She had hunted years before with the old boy, and was such a character!!!

Exmoors are just such characters, and such fab, hard ponies that can turn their hoof to just about anything.

Why do you have to have white gloves?

aww Nip sounds like she was quite the character :D luckily, neither of mine buck :) white gloves are needed to dressage, or so my friends tell me! personally I think they look quite ... JAZZ HANDS!

newrider.com