Our session with our local RA

bitsnpieces

Aug 22, 2007
Sorry for the delay in the write up! It's going to be a long post!

We had a good chat about Bella's past, where she has come from and what we have been doing over the last 18 months. I explained that we had done a bit of join up, but that she hadn't really done anything over the last 6 months and that when I then started doing some loose schooling this is where the problems have arisen. I 100% put my hands up to the fact that I have caused these issues, some poorly timed loose schooling without really taking into account she was desperate for her grub and also not thinking through the fact that she very much likes to be with me, so sending her away is very stressful for her. Bridget (RA) agreed that this sounded like a fair basis for the issues that we were having now, she also mentioned at this stage that given her history and some aspects of her current behaviour (food aggression/obsession and kicking at her stomach when having to stand still when she doesn't want to), it was a possibility that she may have an ulcer or two, so this could be worth talking to the vet about.

So we started off with Bridget watching me doing some leading work with Bella....who was on fine form and reared up as soon as she was asked to move from the school gate. So she got to see what was causing the behaviour and how I was addressing it, within what felt like a few minutes she had worked out where the lines of communication were breaking down.

In short, Bella is incredibly sensitive so I have to be very careful that when I ask her to do something, I ask subtly but more clearly and also I need to make sure I give her time to respond. At the moment I get on top of her a little too quickly and this is one of the reasons for the explosive behaviour, just as she starts to think about responding to my request I chase her up so she is getting confused and angry. I also have to make sure that my corrections are proportionate to what she has done, so only send her back the steps that she came forward. My tendency is to send her back two or three steps when she only took one forward.

I also have to get much better at responding to the little questions, such as shoving her head into my space and gawking at other things when we're walking about. The staring off at something else is usually a precursor to a leap or a rear, so I need to get better at correcting her attention and this in turn diffuses any explosive outbursts.

What was fab about having someone so understanding to come and help, was that she thoroughly understood when I explained that I had lost a lot of confidence in myself, I know that I have caused these problems but have now lost so much conviction in my own actions that I don't think anything I do is right anymore. This in turn affects my whole ability to respond effectively to her behaviour. So, once Bridget worked out what I needed to change, we brought Inca out and I practised with her instead! Once I had got my responses back onto the right track (and Bella had a break and some hay to think about what she had learnt) we brough B back out again and I worked a bit with her with a much better success rate than previously! We still had a few outbursts, but I felt much better equipped to deal with this and once or twice managed to diffuse her.

We have lots of homework to do and once we have leading cracked we will be moving on to de-sensitising, walking over scary surfaces and eventually long lining.

Bridget agreed that loose work doesn't seem to be the way forward with Bella as she needs structure and to be able to "see the point" of why she's being asked to do something. So during our next session (post successful leading and work over tarpaulins etc) we will see if we can move onto some long lining.

In short, it was a very productive session, I have learnt tonnes about Bella and been reminded of all the bad habits that I'm still working hard to kick.

Worth every penny and every minute!!!!!

That's really good. It is so helpful to have someone to watch and see what's happening.

It may also help you to get someone to video you whilst you are going through the motions. Its amazing what you can see yourself and the horse doing.

Oh B&P what a great post so glad you got something from the session. It is werid that loose schooling just does not work for some horses at the start but hopefully you can get back to it in a month or so when you have finished reestablishing the rules.

I look forward to reading how the next couple of days goes and then about your next session. When is it?

Sounds like a really good session. It's a good feeling when you've been struggling with something and someone is able to leave you empowered to deal with it, been there myself in the past :)

Really would take note regarding the ulcers, if they are an issue then you might find that dealing with them also takes away a lot of the behavioural stuff as well.

Love this BnP, you may think you are causing issues, but your overall attitude to it is so open and honest, you look for feedback to make sure you improve. I like that. I would love a session with a RA, I have a similar issue with Flipo, raising my energy is difficult and sending him away nigh impossible.

Gotta love those RA's.... glad you now have some great foundations to build from B&P :smile:

That is a great post.
I wouldnt blame yourself too much.Learning anything in life is a process of altering one's previous behaviour. You did then what you thought was right at the time.
The not over correcting is something for me to think about. I am quite fierce and dictatorial.
The horse needing a lot of time to absorb new information is drummed into us at every Mark Rashid clinic. But if one is on a yard with other people watching what one is doing, it can be hard to just wait and take one's time. Same goes when out riding.
Just a remark on lose schooling. On our classical yard, I have never ever seen a horse loose schooled. Horses as lunged ( both ridden and riderless) long lined, led, and taught from the ground in hand. But never loose. I never thought to ask anyone if this was deliberate. And it never struck me till Ownedbychanter suggested you could resume.

Thankyou for being so kind and supportive! It's great to know I can come on here chat about what we're learning and how we're progressing.

The girls are due for their annual check ups soon, so I'm going to be talking to the vet about our options. I would also like him to take bloods to get a true picture of her worm count, even though she has been wormed regularly and her burden is significantly reduced, there is a thought in the back of my mind that if she is still carrying some (possibly not all shown up in the FEC) that this could also be a contributing factor.

Skib - you make a really interesting point about getting swept up in the speed of life when you're around others who are rushing. When I was 14-16 I was the best that I have ever been with horses, I would always get given the "not so average" horses to lead/ride and was quite happy (and for the most part, reasonably competent) in calming them down and gaining their trust. Fast forwards a few years when I started working in a very agressive industry and you can almost pin point this as coinciding with the change in the way I was with the horses. I have since changed industry as I have been regularly physically ill with stress, so am hoping that this will be the start of me learning to listen to horses again!

ObC - It's funny isn't it! I have a feeling that loose schooling is something that will intimidate Bella for quite some time, but if it's something that she can't cope with then there are plenty of other options for us. I'm hoping that our next session might be in 3 weeks or so, we need to get leading sorted out before we progress, but that is coming along very nicely indeed so we are getting there!!!

newrider.com