Our Third NH Lesson!

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Well, Toby and I had our third lesson today. Have been practising lots with Toby since the last time and thought we were doing really well. No paddies, happy to do the squeeze game, circling well and backing up - backing up rather half hearted, he does it but has to be nagged (with me).

Didn't feel quite so delighted with us when after circling on just one side and asking him to stop he stomped into the middle of the circle and instructor said - just not acceptable, he is doing it and basically telling you to P... O... by taking your space. Tobes then did not take any notice of my back up command and so instructor went straight to level 4 and he listened.

So, today I have learned that 1. I am too soft and 2. I must learn better the different levels of pressure and when to apply them!

On the up side, we have learned three new exercises and instructor on the whole seems quite happy with us in spite of the fact that Tobes not easy. Tobes did not paddy nearly as much as he did the first two lessons and during his last exercise did not paddy at all which I find absolutely amazing.

Additionally, I have found during this last week that I am overcoming my nerves big time on the ground with him. Have not had to have Kalms during the past three days and am not having to psyche myself up to do our practice. After his final episode three weeks ago, I was becoming nervous about even catching him in the field (we have a 13 acre field).

So all in all a good day. Instructor coming again on 10th October - felt dismayed was going to be so long, but she thinks we will be fine, and then we have to do some ridden exercises, so my plan is to try my best with the ground work in the meantime.

Any handy hints or advice gratefully received.:spin:

Thank you lots. I may well take you up on that! How are you getting on?

newrider.com