Outdoor blanketing- Help!

GingerPonyz

Sep 16, 2002
Ging is kept outdoors, and over the winter she usually does just fine, except for when it rains. She shivers and appears to be chilly. Do you think it would be good to invest in a waterproof turnout for the rainy days? Note: she is not clipped and shelter is easily accessible for her from her paddock if she wants to go inside.

Ha! I just posted my views on this under "Rugs" :)

The Shetland in my care is very woolly in winter and I feel she can withstand the temperatures as low as they get here. However, when she is wet, she does get chilled. Last year I kept her indoors during very wet weather, but this year I am trying to find her a waterproof sheet so she can stay out all the time.

Last edited:
yes if she is shivering i would definatly get her a waterproof rug, a lot of horse don't like spending all their time in a shelter, and want to graze and so get wet and cold!!
but beware if you end up needing one for the wet weather she still may not grow such a thick coat and therefore need one when it's just very cold!!!

Well, it was pouring today all day, and quite chilly, and Ginger seemed perfectly warm all day. The paddock she is in on rainy days has no grass, and usually after the horses finish their hay they will go into the stalls to get out of the rain. As she was not cold all day, I think I will hold off in buying her a sheet. Lamrellsarah, that is exactly my thinking with the blanket, and although I don't think blanketing just on the rainy days would make much difference, I don't want to have her blanketed full-time.

newrider.com