Outline/On the bit.

learningcurve

May 25, 2008
I had a break of over 20 years from horses, in my younger days did PC, local shows, hacking, general fun stuff. A lot of things have changed, but in all honesty I cannot remember anything about outline or on the bit.
These days it seems to be have huge importance, I know what it is, daughters RI has given me all the info, but how important do you think it is to most leisure riders.

Interested to hear your views.:):)

One of the reasons you ask a horse to work on the bit is because it gets then off the forehand and helps them use the correct muscles. When schooling intensively/jumping etc its really important that a horse is using himself correctly, with a relaxed swinging back and lots of impulsion, because working hard in an awkward/tense frame or heavily on the forehand all the time will eventually put so much wear and tear on muscles and joints that you could end up with a lame horse.

The point is though that a lot of people think it is all about head and neck position whereas really you want your horse working well from behind. I think, for the leisure rider, if all you're doing is pottering around bridle paths a schooling outline isn't necessary in the slightest, however I still think you should make sure that your horse is striding out with puorpose and that you keep an elastic soft rein contact without pulling, and that your position is correct allowing the horse to move freely under you. You should actually find that your horse might adopt a vague 'long and low' outline of his own accord when hacking if you do this.

So I suppose I think that, while an 'outline' per se isn't necessary for leisure riding, you should still try to make sure your horse moves properly. A relaxed, stretched out free walk is really good for them and is fine. But if your horse spends an entire hack with its ears in your face and its neck shape 'inside out' and tense or tripping over its own feet cos its so on the forehand then thats not so good!

I personally think it's important for any horse to be able to work properly at least some of the time as builds up the muscles they need to be able to carry the rider as efficiently as possible. A well schooled and responsive horse is also more pleasant to hack.

There is a lot of focus on head carriage, probably too much, and the way it's often asked for, by sawing and then not releasing the rein pressure doesn't encourage correct working either. However horses can't really work properly unless they've softened to the contact and relaxed their jaw so there's a bit of a chicken and egg there.

I do think there's too much focus on the hands when trying to get the horse to go on the bit. That sawing motion that so many people are taught just doesn't do it for me, I think it looks awful and it can't be nice for the horse. With some horses, the more you try with your hands to make him lower his head, the more resistance he gives you. Many horses, once working nicely from behind with plenty of impulsion, will then drop their head with the slightest of play from the rider's hands.

I ride one horse who will stick his head up like a giraffe and go tense throughout his entire body the second you get too firm with your hands. With him you simply have to get a nice forward-going trot, then, keeping the outside rein constant, give the inside one away - he will drop his head immediately and go into a lovely outline, and as long as you take back the inside contact quietly, he will stay that way.

As TEmily says, any horse can benefit physically from being ridden in an outline, but for your average leisure rider I don't think it's necessary to work the horse like that all the time. Even with dressage, if you're competing at the lower levels, outline is not the most important aspect of riding a good test - circles that are circular, straight lines that are straight, and accurate transitions will get you good marks even if your horse does little or none of the test in a decent outline.

IThese days it seems to be have huge importance,Interested to hear your views.:):)

Well, one yard I was on - everybody was really obsessive about getting their horse into an "outline". Half of them didn't really know what it meant, or why they were doing it - it was just a "trend"!
Another yard I was on and most riders had their horses working nicely - and to be fair, they were in an outline and it did look pleasing. But, you still got the odd one that forced their horse into it, and didn't take the time, trouble or care to learn how and why they worked in such a shape.
I have read countless articles / books regarding it and from what I can gather it is all about the horse going nicely and working correctly from behind, not just pulling and pushing it into one. I fear there are a lot of people try too hard to get this elusive outline.

I still think you should make sure that your horse is striding out with puorpose and that you keep an elastic soft rein contact without pulling, and that your position is correct allowing the horse to move freely under you. You should actually find that your horse might adopt a vague 'long and low' outline of his own accord when hacking if you do this.

!

The vague long and low outline is what I get when hacking - Storm seems happy to move this way and I'm happy with it also.:)

stick to how you enjoyed it before is my advice, ive found that far to much goes on outline and on the bit and its done my head in! found folk consentrate to much on this emphasis and consequently the horse just starts resisting.ive found the best way ive gained control over my horse is to get his whole body to be soft while out hacking i can get on the bit as peolpe call it in 2 seconds because his neck and body are mallable,on the bit mentally gives you a fixed mind and the rest of the horse is forgot.the less is more approach is completely true,enjoy your riding and your horse will enjoy you.

I'm not the best person to answer this question Bluntcrayon, but here's my take on things...

I have ridden for MANY years and lots of RIs focussed on 'outline' or being 'round' or 'on the bit'. This was described as 'working from behind' which basically meant that the horse was using his hind quarters, and not just dragging himself along with his front legs.

If a horse has his head up high, then his back will be hollow, and his back end 'disengaged'. On the other hand if a horse drops his head then his back can round up, his loins can coil and he will be working using muscles all over his back and rear end not just his front legs. Being on the bit also refers to calm acceptance of the bit in the mouth so that the horse is sensitive and responsive to subtle communications through the reins.

A horse who leans on the bit, fights the bit, tucks his chin in to evade the bit or puts his head down or up in response to bit pressure is not 'on the bit' regardless of how pretty his head might look!

In theory all the above made sense. But in practice (at least in my experience) there was an obsessive focus on where the head is. A horse can be forced into an outline with strong rider pressure on the horses mouth (my arms used to ache after lessons - poor horse!), gadgets to strap the horses head down and endless fiddling/sawing on the mouth. A horse can be in an 'ouline' without being 'on the bit' if he is just holding his head in the 'right' place but is resistant to the bit.

I got utterly sick of trying for an outline and switched to centred riding. The focus switched from head carriage to balance, rhythym, communication and getting out of the horses way. If you get this, then collection (ie the horse working from behind) emerges naturally, and an outline develops - but an outline sought by the horse not imposed by the rider. The horse simply works in an outline because it is bio-mechanically efficient and comfortable for him to do so, and accepts the bit becasue there is no reason for him not to.

But like I say, I'm no expert. Ask Rabo - she teaches me!

Can anyone explain about what outline and being on the bit means? In lay(wo)mans terms!

For me, like Krissie in practise it all seemed to be about getting the head in, which didn't work for me either (physically yes with sore hands and a double bridle) but I had a braced horse and didn't feel right.

Instead I saw a few Aussies & Kiwis do it from the other angle, where its about what you are actually achieving..... suppleness, softness, lightness, but working with really basic stuff I had missed on in my earlier lessons...

I tried to write it up and keep it simple here:
http://irishnhsociety.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=usefulinformation&action=display&thread=315

I had a break of over 20 years from horses, in my younger days did PC, local shows, hacking, general fun stuff. A lot of things have changed, but in all honesty I cannot remember anything about outline or on the bit.

Me too - I learnt to ride in the 70's and I'm sure there was no such thing in those days.

I seem to remember the being told to 'check' my pony, which I assume these days is what is known as a half halt!

newrider.com