over bent

Alex T

Jun 27, 2006
Poole
i took my horse to her first local show on sunday. she did really well and got placed first:eek: however the judge said she was over bent. i was wondering if any one had any advice on how to improve or correct this problem!thanks

from reading your post i took overbent to mean too much inside bend , however i think iloveshearer has taken it as behind the bit
from reding the reply , so not sure now , anyway...

for too much inside bend you need more outside aids , leg as well a rein , if the horse is still giving too much bend & most likely also leaning on your inside rein i would try a little outside flexion before asking the horse for the correct bend again , you might need to be really quite firm about this

Over bent usually means that the horse is behind the verticle.

Usually as a result of too much hands or too severe a bit or a combination of too much hand not enough impulsion.

To fix it, you likely need to work on your contact and her impulsion. What sort of bit is (s)he in?

I have had that comment too. Sid sometimes buries his head and gets a bit too deep. I have been told to use lots of leg to gain more impulsion and to ask him to lift the backend (Sid is a lazy horse!).

Hope that helps? :)

she is behind the vertical rather than to much bend to one side!she is ridden in a straight bar pelham as i feel it is better for her to stick with one bit rather than swaping them around just for shows! she is a lazy arab lol although i do feel she tends to over bend when she gets excited as she did on sunday in the ring!(although she behaved beautifuly).i was rather nervous so i guess my hands probably wernt as good as they could be it has to be said:(

oh shes lazy or rather laid back she does have funny fives but dont they all :rolleyes: my 22year old standerdbred beats her to the field every morning lol!!iv tried her in a loose ring snaffle but she throws her head around in it and seems to throughly object to the nutcracker action ive also tried her in a hanging french link this she hates even more than the normal snaffle lol!:eek:

thought id post a photo of us at our latest show which was saturday
Blonde2.jpg

newrider.com