Over sensitive skin/twitching?

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
I have had Major 10 years and never ever seen him do this.

It's prob been happening around 5/6 weeks now, it's every time he is tacked up or touched or groomed.

On Saturday I realised his sharer had washed his numnah in a strong smelling detergent so I swapped it to a diff one and didn't see any twitching tbh - thought I'd solved it, but today he is back doing it.

Any ideas? Got saddler coming in a few weeks then if still doing it I will get vet out. Next sunny day will give him a full wash.

(He doesn't do it when being ridden though, or when out in field that I've noticed, it's only when being touched)

Also in this video he is doing it when I touch him but I have seen him him do it in tack but not being touched by a person

Hmm. Madam will do similar sometimes, even when there are no flies - it can just happen when I touch her? Sorry no idea!

He's clipped so it could just be that your being too light and he thinks you are a fly:) I know we aim to be soft and light but sometimes it's too light?

@newforest he does it even if firm hand placed on (will try to get more videos in next few days).

I must admit I am firmer with hands on him than I noticed the sharer was.

But saying that the sharer has loaned him for 4 years and never seen him do this before!

He isn't twitchy to clip at all which is strange, his clip is almost grown out now. (As in its not short to the skin, it's prob about a 5-6mm long)

he is still in a rainsheet in the field.....so not sure flies would be bothering him really? though he is sometimes naked depending on the weather. Never been sensitive to flies before though.

Its all so strange. I am so grateful for all your comments though, I am so perplexed by it all! Its stressing the one sharer out a bit as she hates to see him upset.

The other sharer also insists on using her own neoprene girth, which I have told her to stop using - could he be having a reaction to that? or perhaps preferring that? We normally use a sheepskin girth which I have brought home to wash, but when not using the sheepskin one then he uses the Thorowgood one in the video. We have been using the sheepskin or Thorowgood ones for about 5 years now without seeing the twitching before, but I think the neoprene one has been used for probably a few months - so could be to do with that girth?

My first thought was some kind of lice or mites in his coat. Might be worth treating for just in case.

Also if the introduction of the neoprene girth (I'm not sure what that is?) coincides with the twitching, then it sounds like there could be a link. Maybe it makes the girth too tight or rubs so he is anticipating this when touched?

Neoprene can definitely cause allergic reactions in some people & horses, I would try a bath and not using it and see if it helps.

I know this sounds ridiculous and you probably think 'yeah right' but I'm convinced they think it's flies. Toffee has become VERY sensitive like this in the past few weeks and this has happened at around the same time that the numbers of flies has upped and they seem to be out in force. He spends half his time twitching like that

Update. I've been giving him some antihistamines for the last few days. Tacked up yesterday and he was completely normal, no twitching or kicking. I chatted to a vet who was on the yard and they thought it sounds like hyper sensitivity which has been kick started by something (possibly the neoprene or detergent on the numnah) and he is struggling to get out of the cycle. Suggested giving him the tablets for a week and then seeing if it stops when off the tablets....shall find out next week!

ooh that is interesting! Did you use over the counter piriton? Can I ask what dose? The only time I ever had a horse on them it was sooo expensive through the vet.

Didn't get through the vet, he suggested just getting shops own brand antihistamines as long as they are citirizene. I just bought tesco's own 30 tablets for £2.75

Major is a 14.3h gypsy cob (lean/fit though not fat!), I am just giving him 5 a day at the moment which seems to be working. I'm curious to see if it helps his head shaking too!!

Reactions: CharliesAngel
That's interesting. My new lad is very sensitive to touch. Just like in the video. He's fine with grooming but if you touch his body like a fly would land on him he will shake as though to get it off. He was doing it mid winter and was unrugged then. He is now rugged.
I thought just over sensitive.
Interesting about the shaking though as mine also does this.

Been brilliant! No twitching at all since stopping the antihistamines! He is back to normal.

I'm considering trying Rosie on them to see if it helps sweetitch?

It's a possibility because isn't that another body over reacting to outside stimuli?
I use ear thing for riding as she gets annoyed by flies.

newrider.com