Over trousers, who uses and what

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I bought a few years ago some Harry Hall padded over trousers.
Only just got round to wearing them! :eek:

First impression was that they would be too thick, hot and bulky to actually ride in. But I got in the sale and need I say more.

Actually I was quite surprised that once ( welded ) to the saddle they were comfortable and didn't feel thick, hot or bulky.
What I will do next ride is to pop my thinner summer jods on to give myself a little more space on the waist.
I could get my legs round her and she's wide so they were not restrictive in that sense. I am not used a full suede seat hence my welded description. Secure might be a better word.
I was cosy and mainly walked but had a trot and canter in them.
Easy to get on and off.

On return I took them off and felt freezing! I hadn't realized how cold it would have been without them. My thighs do feel the cold. ( bigger surface area :p)

Not got wet yet so not sure how waterproof they are, but for today's chilly hack, I liked them.

The Thirsk is similar to mine which has reflective piping down the outside.

Reactions: PePo

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
I just wear winter breeches or riding tights for warmth and waterproofness, occassionally full chaps on top if hacking when very wet or cold.

I wear jogging bottoms over my work clothes a lot of the time in winter :D

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I bought some musto over trousers 20 years ago before heading to the Rockies (over 8k feet elevation) to ride in early spring, they have been brilliant tho I only use them when I'm riding in below freezing temps as they are very warm. Only slight problem the last couple of years is fitting in them, I still can at a push though :p

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Interesting. I have never had any for the same reason you say - I thought they would be too hot and restrictive.
I wear full chaps if needed but although they’re great for riding I feel the need to change them for waterproof over trousers for yard chores so I don’t get a wet bum. Would be good to have something you could do both in.

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
I dont use over trousers. I only have one pair off jods, which were given to me but I dont like them much. 90% of the time I ride in jeans or thick leggings. If it's cold I put the leggings on and jeans over the top.

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
I just wear tights or fine leggings under jods, but then I'm in the soft south - only gets below freezing about 1 week a year!

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
It wasn't below freezing today. But the wind chill I didn't notice until I took them off and wanted them back on again.
I don't do as much fast work in winter and I know my legs get cold.

What's your definition of yard chores. Mine lives out so I would only be doing a quick groom. I didn't put on until I wanted to ride- got the sniff treatment.

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
I tend to wear jogging bottoms or some form of over the top of breeches in winter - not so much riding tights - for everything bar riding so mucking out, sweeping, making feeds, grooming, bringing in or turning out and everything in between!

It's as much to do with warmth as practicality. I currently live in a first floor flat which although lovely, does make drying clothes like fleece lined water repellant breeches a PITA without a garden to help air dry. Riding tights dry quickly, so less bothered about how often I wash those :D

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
It wasn't below freezing today. But the wind chill I didn't notice until I took them off and wanted them back on again.
I don't do as much fast work in winter and I know my legs get cold.

What's your definition of yard chores. .

Mucking our, emptying barrows, filling nets, water, sweeping up, turning out, bringing in etc. Liveries tend to all muck in at weekends on our yard so somehow these things can carry on all day :oops:

Lissie

Jan 18, 2016
I live in my Rambo fleece lined full chaps, windproof, waterproof and cosy. I like having my bum out :p as feel more secure in the saddle. I wear mine from leavin the house to back again. Had them nearly 10 years and still going strong!!

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
I have Mountain Horse full chaps with fleece lining. I've had them for years and years (just worked out it's 16 years!) and they are still going strong. I wear them for doing yard job on wet or really cold snowy days, and I have ridden in them. I do find them slightly slippy for riding in, I've changed to a pair of leather shotgun chaps for riding in and they are much better for sticking you to the saddle.
I wear them over any trousers I have on and they are great, mostly in the winter I am wearing fleece lined walking trousers which are pretty warm on their own, they are water repellent and quick drying which is why I prefer them.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Mucking our, emptying barrows, filling nets, water, sweeping up, turning out, bringing in etc. Liveries tend to all muck in at weekends on our yard so somehow these things can carry on all day :oops:
I think if I did that I would be filthy permanently and the straw and hay would sick to the fleece wouldn't it. Not sure.
I have waterproof trousers but they are not comfy for riding in.

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
I think if I did that I would be filthy permanently and the straw and hay would sick to the fleece wouldn't it. Not sure.
I have waterproof trousers but they are not comfy for riding in.

Yes I am permanently filthy and the straw and hay sticks to everything and gets everywhere, really everywhere ... I don't ride in my waterproof trousers, I did once when I had an unexpected hack out in my bareback pad, but they were a bit slippy and not very comfy. The good thing about them is that they stop hay getting into my boots when I'm filling nets :D

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Yes I do it that way round. I don't think I could walk through mud with the suede and I think they are too padded to stuff in.

Reactions: Bodshi