Overbending and pulling head down..

Laura2184

Mar 1, 2005
Cheshire
www.cheshiretackroom.co.uk
Hi All,

How would you solve the problem of a horse overbending and pulling his head down?

Would you change exercises, bit etc? He is ridden in a neue schule lozenge hanging cheek.

Any suggestions would be great. This isnt for my horse but for a friend.

Many Thanks

i would maybe change the bit for something without poll pressure... maybe a try a loose ring instead? the main thing is that you need to make sure you have loads of impulsion so the horse doesn't want to go so low. what exercises are you doing currently?

definately second changing the bit , a hanging cheek exerts poll pressure so is unlikely to be helping

i would initially start by riding the horse forward strongly & not asking for a contact , most problems with horses that fall behind the contact are created by the rider

also , is the horse riding downhill alot?

Is it a young horse? Sounds exactly like my friend's youngster who - prior to my friend owning him - was ridden in a very strong bit which he learnt to lean on, going completely overbent and on his forehand.

Things that work on my friend's horse:

After checking teeth, tack, feet, back etc:

* Change bit to something with no poll pressure (the neue schule starter bit for example if you like neue schule bits)
* Take off any other contraptions (martingales, draw reins etc) which might be encouraging overbending or pulling head down
* Ride forwards and with very, very light contact - as soon as feel that horse starts to lean on bit and pull downwards give rein so that they don't have anything to lean on, you could lift hands up and forward to 'release' the rein, then take contact again
* Ride lots and lots and lots of transitions so that horse learns to balance without leaning on the rein
* Lunge, long rein and free school to get the horse to work independently and balanced without a rider
* When schooling give plenty of breaks - my friend's horse starts to lean again when he gets tired

Good luck!

the hanging cheek lifts the bit in the mouth (more than a "normal" bit) and when the rein is used there is a slight rotation leading to a small amount of poll pressure which encourages the horse to tuck its head in.
If you like the neue schule you could see if they have an eggbutt or loose ring or D-ring.

I have ridden a horse in the past that loved to overbend and as you say, the more you asked for impulsion etc the more overbent he went :rolleyes: you need the acceptance of the contact (without the leaning) so no matter where the head goes keep a light contact, if the horse leans tell the horse to carry itself, you want to keep the contact (as in don't give it away when the horse leans as the overbending means horse is trying to avoid contact and leaning will get rid of the contact - if that makes sene, not sure it does :confused: ) but sponge the rein, leaning comes from the horse setting its jaw, you need to keep the rein "alive" so the horse doesn't set the jaw but you also need to give a big leg aid to get the horse to lift itself and work more from behind - kind of an "OI!" with your leg :p
i would be trying to do transitions within the pace (ie, collected, working and medium strides in each pace rather that trot-walk-halt-trot etc) and keep the horse moving, everytime he overbends ask for more impulsion and don't lift the reins too high as this makes the head go further down, think of allowing the contact forwards without dropping the contact.

hope that helps a little

my boy will do this well used to and I am sure it was because he found it hard to work as I was asking (due to lack of muscle and time off)... so I would say keep going and keep leg/ contact on and he will find easier the more you do and begin to hold head properly more and more

newrider.com