Pairs ...

Emerald_city

horse insane!
Jan 6, 2006
Brinkworth, wiltshire
Hiya , just wondering if anybody can help me on this

when driving pairs do they have to be the exact same height/type or can it differ slightly ?

Im thinking say a 14.3 LW cob and a 15.1hh MW tb type , would this work or not ?

thanks

It's more important that they stride and move the same, I drive Andy and Charlie as a pair. Andy is 41.5 inches and charlie is about 39 inches, so there is a difference in height and colour too.

Always put the larger horse in the drain, or the nearside as the camber of the road will take up the height.

It really only matters for the show ring, if you have two horses that work well as a pair then that's fine, looks only matter in driving shows.

I agree totally with what Wally has written. :)

I have seen however the smaller horse being put on the inside (curb side) when starting a young/inexperienced horse with an older and experienced horse to the white line (this is how Podge was started) - much better to have a steady horse facing on-coming and passing traffic!

As a side note, you normally put your larger horse in the 'furrow' for ploughing too! ;)

Last edited:
Agree with that, if I was starting a baby he'd be away from the traffic.

I occasionally swap a pair about just to stop them forming habits and becoming one sided, and Charlie sometimes goes in the drain, and it is amazing just how much difference it makes putting the smaller horse on the nearside. It really does exaggerate the difference in height.

I have been told about a tradition in the UK, not sure if there's any truth in it, but a pair with one grey on the off side is known as an English pair, the lighter coloured horse was supposed to show up more in dim or twilight so oncoming vehicles could see you better. So if you have a team with a grey in it the grey should be on the offside, or so I have been told.

Thorw and light Klebert?

I've never heard of that one, but it does make perfect sense!!

I know that the French Boulonaise (sp?) heavy horse was mainly bred for the grey/white colour so it was easier to see during the night when the took fish from Boulougne to Paris in 24 hours!

Is that where that traditional heavy horse drive comes from,I cannot remember what it's called!

newrider.com