Panicking about pulses!

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Ale came in this morning with warm feet (which he often does!) But for the first time ever I could feel his pulses. Not strongly but definitely there. We had just been for a half hour walk on the roads so I'm trying to convince myself it was just that. Could only feel on his front legs which are shod and his backs he wears pads and boots.

I've left him in and going up to check in a few hours. If I can still feel them presumably he is better off in on soaked hay. Will he need the vet? Panicking hugely. Any advice appreciated!

I would say it was the work. I thought you had taken him barefoot in front sorry :)

I am really hoping it was although was only a gentle walk. I am hoping to take him barefoot as soon as we move, current farrier is not for taking shoes off and I don't want an argument. Got my clean trax ready for when I do :)

Don't take pulses straight after exercise unless you want to scare yourself! I also find they can be up slightly on hot days.

If they're still up when you go back then maybe see it as a warning & restrict his grass for a few days & see if that makes a difference, but if he isn't showing any other signs I wouldn't panic & get the vet. How's he moving & how's his weight? Is he showing any sign of discomfort in his feet?

Don't take pulses straight after exercise unless you want to scare yourself! I also find they can be up slightly on hot days.

If they're still up when you go back then maybe see it as a warning & restrict his grass for a few days & see if that makes a difference, but if he isn't showing any other signs I wouldn't panic & get the vet. How's he moving & how's his weight? Is he showing any sign of discomfort in his feet?

Thank-you he's not showing any other issues, he walked fine this morning but because of his other issues he's a bit off anyway so may be harder to tell. Weight wise he is slightly over my only small fat deposits behind shoulder no crest and not obese he's just put on a little recently.

Can't wait to go back and check him :/

Just been up to see him no pulses that I could find!!! :D fingers crossed they are not back tomorrow. He had a trot down the field when I put him out and looked okay!

I have scared myself in the past by checking pulses after exercise, I have now caught on that they are stronger after exercise and on hot days. So now I only check when I have just brought him in from the field and I am picking his feet out or after he has been stood in the stable a while.
I'm glad he is fine this morning Ale :)

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
I have scared myself in the past by checking pulses after exercise, I have now caught on that they are stronger after exercise and on hot days. So now I only check when I have just brought him in from the field and I am picking his feet out or after he has been stood in the stable a while.
I'm glad he is fine this morning Ale :)

I'm checking them every day because in the last few weeks he has gone onto an area with more grass. I normally check when I get him in before I do anything so will go back to that!! Silly me! Luckily all the longer grass is almost gone and we are in for a heatwave which means the sugars will be lower and no new growth yay!

newrider.com