part loan offered - can you advise me please

pepsimaxrock

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
Last Sunday a woman at the yard where we ride offered us a possible part loan of her chestnut gelding.

He is gorgeous, bit elderly and can't jump but looks like a lovely ride. His owner, B, needs a share arrangement of sorts cos her mum is poorly, in hospital and likely to be so for a while. Horse needs exercise.

Well we were told by our RI who works at the yard that she just needs someone to ride him for her a couple of times a week, which I could easily do; but when I spoke to owner it looks like she wants a part loaner.

Now, I work away, only at yard on Fridays and Sundays, and daughter is only 15 and can't drive to yard, and even if OH or son were willing to drive her (questionable...) she would worry about caring for horsey on her own.

I have to talk to owner on Sunday, and it looks like I might have to turn it down, but......... such a shame. I would be happy to do stable etc etc when I can, but not sure if that's what she needs. I would be so unpredictable...

Been thinking of explaining all this, and offering to ride, and do her stable whenever I can, until she gets sorted, but do you think that's cheeky?

Help very very welcome - all you on yards especially - I can miss etiquette detail!

A.

I leased 2 horses in the past b4 i purchsed my horse and i think it is fairly easy to help care for someone elses horse so long as you sort out all the details but maybe if u would rather you could offer to longe him a couple times a week

I don't think it is cheeky at all - we all have lives and people generally understand that.

Just be honest with them and clearly state what you can do.

If they want you then fine, if not well that is ok too.

With my share arrangement days and commitments change from week to week due to my work commitments but I will at least ride the horse twice a week.

At the moment, if your boy has a lot of turn out, to be ridden twice a week plus possibley once or twice from the owner is plenty for the old boy.

On the day you ride the horse you should expect to turn out, bring in, change water, muck out, prepare hay nets, a full groom, feed and general fuss. - That is if they are on DIY - part livery is obviously different.

Good luck with your decision.

:D

Yeah, I'd tell them what you are able to do, they might surprise you and be really glad and it might work well for both of you:D Hope it works out.

Thanks for all your help, glad that you think it sounds reasonable. Thanks W'ejit, guessed there would be more than just doing the stable and riding - its good to know what it is. Although if she agrees then I can give her your list and let her add or take away from it.

Here's to tomorrow.....

oh well....

B couldn't show up. Mum was really really poorly and she was spending all the time at the hospital. Doesn't sound too great, poor things. So no trying out the lovely chestnut animal: but I just hope that B's ok and that her mum is as well as can be hoped for.....

Had a lesson tho' - out on the xc course. Have been doing this on the qt for a couple of weeks, and its been ok, bit scary.

Today tho - got over first couple of jumps absolutely fine: then couldnt steer P into the next one - twice! He turns round and makes for home, at the fastest canter.

Omigod - turn him round walk him back down the hill - NOW - shouts instructor. I do try, hard. He canters off again a couple of times. RI yells again. I try and turn him round, he spins. But it ends up in a huge fight, me and P. And who always wins?

P trotted back to the yard while I nursed yet another set of bruises flat on the floor.

It's just got to stop; this has been my worst riding year ever. Off 5 times now!

newrider.com