Part share... never had this.

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Just wanted youre thoughts on this tbh.
I have already decided but i found it.. strange i guess you could say.

I responded to a advert on Facebook wanting a part loan,happy hacker really. I told her about sox and i found out she had loaned cobs in the past. But since having children she hasnt really ridden. But sox is really good hacking. So we arranged a date and time. I was getting nervous about 30 mins before hand. Making sure sox was looking his best. I needed a cigg and a tea. I thought again about what i would ask or want to do if i came to try out a share. Maybe want to groom. See the horse been tacked or tacking up. Watch the horse been worked then i would like to try. Had all that in mind.

Was greeted at the gate by a woman. Said hello etc. Then saw she was in normal gear.. fluffy small boots, jeans and a bright orange top. I mentioned if she has her hat. She said she didnt and wanted to get to know me and sox first. So i pulled him out brushed him. And tacked him up. Explained a few of his issues and how we rarely jump. Asked if she wanted to see him in the school or out on a hack she said the school. Once in the school sox spotted some walkers climbing the fence ( the field is part of a bridle path but its th3 first time people have walked the field when i have been in the school) so he was having a good look. But worked well. The woman kept ... mentioning how she likes it in the school as its a softer landing. How she preferes the school. So i got off untacked him. We did mention about a second time but she wanted me to hack out another horse with her.
I said thanks for coming and she left.

I didnt know how to take it. I have always gone to view a share in clean riding gear, wanting to make a good impression. I would have my hat in hand or in the car. I just found it very odd she was in normal gear...
I was tempted to ask her to come back. However i just feel she would be too nervous. Like if sox looked at something she would go all tense then he would worry.

He is good at hacking but he does need re-assurance at times that he can do stuff.
Anyone else had similar?

Sounds a bit of a no go. You did everything right very helpful but i wouldn't bother with her. I have advertised Fleur and got nothing but completely hopeless timewasters. Kids who have no transport, and anyway she isn't back so not suitable for someone who rides once a week at a school and i don't want to be a babysitter for other folks kids. I used to have a little girl who came once a week to play with the donkeys and that was fine, she was from a broken home, her dad picked her up on a friday for the weekend, and she came past our place and put the donkeys to bed with me.

On the other hand, before I bought Buddy, i went to look at a horse who was up for loan. Grey mare. When I got there, she was lame, she was in an indoor stable, being harassed by the horse next door through the bars and thoroughly unsettled. She was very miserable as she was in stables with bars on all sides so nowhere to get away from the horses on either site of her. I fed her a carrot gave her a pat and said let me know when she is sound and I will come back. They didn't get in touch and when I contacted them i was told that Molly horse made it clear that she disliked me and they weren't interested. I was totally gobsmacked. All I did was feed her a carrot, pick up a hoof, say hello and leave it at that. Nowt so queer as folks.

Reactions: lauren123
I actually think she was very sensible to come up and not wanting to ride. Sounds like she wanted to get a feel for both you and Sox before she jumped on. If you think that she would be too nervous for Sox this proved her approach worked well.

I actually think she was very sensible to come up and not wanting to ride. Sounds like she wanted to get a feel for both you and Sox before she jumped on. If you think that she would be too nervous for Sox this proved her approach worked well.
Yeah i kinda see where youre coming from actually. I have just always turned up for a loan in yard gear and when i have been asked if i would like a go. To then hop on and see for myself what i felt of the horse/pony.
But on the other hand . If I saw her ride i could see how she rode etc and have a better understanding of whether she was suitable.

The talk about sand being softer to fall on would put me right off - is she planning on riding or falling off? Also does that mean she'd want to ride mostly in the school and is that what you want? If she'd had proper boots on and a hat she could have ridden in that gear so that's not a massive no. Rightly or wrongly the talk about wanting to get to know you both first would ring alarm bells with me, is she one of those people wanting to form some sort of mystical bond (ie never correct behaviour, kiss it lots and feed it sweeties) in the belief that that will compensate for a lack of riding and handling skills?

I would say if you aren't happy leave it at that.

when i was looking for a horse i always got the owner to ride them first, and a lot of them i just said not for me, and didn't ride them. I agree that the falling off in sand comment would put me off, if you worry or believe you will fall off you probably will. The most terrifying thing i did was go look for horses when i got buddy as hadn't sat on one for 8 years and was like a sack of potatoes, I was lucky he was the third one i went to see.

Reactions: carthorse
Hmm. I agree strange not to turn up in suitable gear. I knew when I went to see Hogan, it was likely I'd not ride him (Not been ridden 2 years, no tack etc) but I still turned up in my gear, just in case. Wore my hat to lead, trot up etc. I think you should follow your gut - that something wasn't quite right - after all, he's your boy, and you need to be 100% happy about who's on him.

Reactions: carthorse
Does seem a bit strange, most people are the other way arent they. Anything for a free ride.
As for turning up in jeans. Well i only have one pair of jodphurs which i hate, but i would have at least worn some leggings if going to try someone elses horse. You go at least looking the part. But i actually 99% of the time ride in jeans. If i was going for a lesson they i always wear leggings. Of course western riding most people wear jeans.

Reactions: Huggy
Whatever the situation, it's clear from your post that you felt uncertain about this lady. I think under those circumstances it's best to call it a day - it's your best beloved horse she'd be looking after...

Fair enough, I agree that in this instance she doesn't sound right for Sox but I would just like to add that back around 2005, before I could afford to purchase, I shared a few horses. I always went the first time to "meet and greet" - to see the horse in its familiar situation, being ridden by owner etc. Also it gave the owner the chance to assess me as a person before deciding whether I'd be allowed to return and ride... and whether I'd even want to, myself. I guess I never wanted to be seen as a "joyrider" or "timewaster" and gave everyone an initial opt-out. So please don't pre-judge.... she may have thought she was being courteous and not presumptuous.

Last edited:
Fair enough, I agree that in this instance she doesn't sound right for Sox but I would just like to add that back around 2005, before I could afford to purchase, I shared a few horses. I always went the first time to "meet and greet" - to see the horse in its familiar situation, being ridden by owner etc. Also it gave the owner the chance to assess me as a person before deciding whether I'd be allowed to return and ride... and whether I'd even want to, myself. I guess I never wanted to be seen as a "joyrider" or "timewaster" and have everyone an initial opt-out. So please don't pre-judge.... she may have thought she was being courteous and not presumptuous.
This ^^
I was the same when I went to look at potential shares.

newrider.com