paso finosor icelandic-pros and cons please

allthegearnoidea

Dec 16, 2006
I have recently been looking, rather tentavley at the possibility of getting either a paso fino or an icelandic, i know i know they are both so different, but equally have that common gait thing going on.
I am hoping to go to the paso ranch - yvonne bowens-sp?-in the new year i also have freinds with icelandics looking out for me.I would appreciate any tips or advise good or bad about the breeds from people who have either ridden, or know someone who has one, thanks muchlyxx

I am biased but I would say an Icelandic any day - I have never had so much fun riding as I have with my Icelanduc, plus they are cheap to keep, all-terrain horses and are just nice to be around.

I have ridden Pasos and my experience was not a positive one, I did not like their gaited way of going as much as I like the Icelandic tolt.

Saying that if you want a more conventional looking of horse, then maybe the Paso is better for you. If you prefer a hairy fuzzball then an Icelandic is for you.

Being sensible, try both breeds and then make an informed decision. I bought my Icelandic following a serious riding accident as I wanted a fun confidence giver, which I got. She has been my best horse ever.

One thing to watch in Icelandic's is Spavin. Make sure they do not have sweet-itch.
If you buy a horse make sure to have the Vet do a pre purchase examine.

Not sure what kind of temperment you are looking for?
But here in the States.. there are a lot of poorly breed over sensitive Icelandic's. Most folks can't or don't want to deal with these kinds of horses.
They are very hot and hard to deal with.

But then... that happens in many breeds including the PP's.

Basics...
Make sure they will ride in the ring and on the trail..and the owners ride them first.

Make sure they are really registered in the owners name...you would not believe the who-ha.. that goes on with unregistered or miss registered Icelandic's in the US.

Be willing to look at a lot of horses before you buy and because the Icelandic's are fairly rare still.. might take awhile finding one you want.

Other than Spavin and Sweet-Itch... Icelandic's are normally very hardy.

About the same price for a well gaited one with competition potential. If I was looking for a similar type as the beloved Nott, then i would be looking at circa £7000 and that would be a good all rounder type, not a superstar.

She is still going strong Wally, enjoying pottering around in retirement, she is 20 this year, Bless her.

She doesn't look an old girl, her back is still straight and strong.

in the uk, if you wanted ANY paso, you would be looking at 7000 minimum realistically (unless you wanted a baby).

Except if you are me and you buy the one nobody else wants :)

How much for a solid, sensible, not top competition but potential to do a few shows icelandic?

Around £7,000 - you might get one for around £5K if you were lucky or you could import from Iceland, bearing in mind you have a MINIMUM of £1000 extra for transport costs.

Sometimes you get lucky!:D

Dear Nott cost me £3000 but that was 10 years ago (or maybe 11!) and she was considered a good buy.

My Spanish horses have been cheaper to buy than an Icey...

How is £375 for a Paso? I'm not sure whether luck or insanity would be a more accurate description!

Talking of which, when are you coming to see him? We did our first sponsored ride a few months ago, jumped around 30 X-Country jumps. Hoping to go showjumping in the next month or so too.

Hope your Spanish horses are well, how are things going?

Have you still got Himself? I never did get to come down did I? I am off all January too.

Spanish Ladies are all lovely but I really want a Luso boy..

Or possibly another Icelandic!

Still got the boy... I'm in Oxford now for the next few months, happy for you to pop down and see him if you would like- I'm sure he would be pleased to see you.

Have to say I'm not a mares person myself- quite prefer a nice stallion or gelding.

newrider.com