Passed another QS assignment!

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
Just thought I'd share ....Harvey and I have been studying Quantum Savvy (QS) for a little while now, we passed our first assignment in November which was a skills check (checking no yield, yielding fore quarter, yielding hindquarters, backwards, forwards, head up and down.)

Well we put in for our next assignments - The approach (catch hoss, touch all over and pick up all feet) and The Short Range Yields (circling, changing direction by yielding hindquarters, sideways on a circle, sending over jumps)

We passed the Short Range yields but didn't pass the approach so that is something to work on.

Am going to re-submit my approach once we've done a bit of work on it and hopefully also the trailer loading assignment we've been working on and the mounting assignment we've been working on.

It's nice to feel some progress so just wanted to share, especially as Harvey hasn't been the easiest horse but has definitely improved :)

Only just seen this - well done! At least you've actually got going - more than could be said for me :rolleyes:

ps did you get homework cards? If not, I can photocopy mine and post them to you if you want?

Well done LF. Its nice to have stuff to work towards and a way of measuring your progress, especially when you havent got the easiest of horses. I remind myself sometimes how;
  • I do stuff now without thinking that I couldnt do at all this time last year
  • that i can do stuff, again without thinking, that other horse owners cant (they may be gimmicky things but i like em anyway!!!!) or wouldnt even attempt!!!

ps did you get homework cards? If not, I can photocopy mine and post them to you if you want?

Do you have a scanner? You could scan and email :D. We all know QS is basically parelli without the price tag so am sure homework would be of interest whether you did it or not (are you getting the big hint vibes Im throwing at you in case you DO have a scanner ;) x x x )

Okay, I take the hint:) pm me your email;)

:rolleyes::) hello how are you, what homework cards are these then?

Well done on passing the assignment.

What did you have to do for the approach? And what did they say you could improve on. I'm interested as wondering if different from the Ken faulkner groundskills and the parelli online. I can get copies of the audition sheets should anyone want to have a look at what's involved for something to do or ideas.

I don't have a scanner but i guess can be emailed if i download it.

the homework cards are really just a check sheet for you to tick every time you have worked on an exercise. It just gives you a bit of a plan for things to work towards. Its for the Quantum Savvy that both Laceyfreckle and I are doing. Very similar to Parelli though:)

Sounds similar to the audition sheets, you are meant to tick it all off before you submit the video.

I like idea as it gives me focus, and now i want to focus on the riding. Got my patterns for that.

Hi everyone!

Well, The approach assignment is as follows:

Approach your horse from 4 metres. Standing at or behind the shoulder allowing your horse to sniff the back of your hand. Rub your horse and ask them to bend towards you as you put the halter on and tie knot correctly.

Rub and check them all over.

Pick up and check all 4 feet

Time - 5 minutes.

I have tried to pass this a few times....it sounds easy but with a horse a bit eager to defend himself it's um not.

Anyway I did my video's and sent them off to be marked. The comments I got back were:

1st attempt - (about a month ago) - Harvey chose to walk of in your approach and isn't happy with you rubbing his legs. It was good to see you did this in the open so Harvey could have some options. Practise this one until he is happy to have you come up and give him a rub all over. This will go a long way to building rapport needed when riding and handling him.

2nd attempt - (about 2 weeks ago) Make sure to approach his shoulder rather then his head, approaching his shoulder will encourage flex and softness (build rapport). Put your throat lash on first rather then the nose when putting the halter on. Almost there.

3rd attempt (!.5 weeks ago) Same feedback as above re the approach.

My main problem is he either turns away from me or goes to bite/kick. (biting he particularly means). When he's not being unfriendly and will let you catch him he still pins his ears and looks like you've upset him, some of that I think is his natural expression :p

Skippy's mum...yes I did get the homework cards....thank you for the offer though :)

Newforest..yes very similar to audition sheets...I find them really helpful as it encourages me not to rush through without practising but also that every practise counts, even with mistakes.

Would be interested in seeing how they differ to the ones you have :)

annareeves - yes defintitely. I had been having a bit of a down moment recently but yesterday even though it was snowing we did circling and Harvey, (the pony that didn't lunge other then towards you while being lunged lol) did a couple of circles on each rein in trot without breaking gait while I stood in the middle and passed the rope behind my back. This would have been impossible a few months ago. He also now jumps a jump on a long line without demolishing it because he couldn't be bothered to try unless you were on his back :)

Yesterday we also did our first one rein riding in a halter (and saddle) and he was good, As it was in a 3 acre open field really he could have been very silly but he tried very hard (even though sometimes he gets flexing and backing up muddled up ..eg, thinks you want him to flex rather then back...I have to get better with my rein) but then again at one point a few months ago he didn't bend (any which way with a bridle!)

Last edited:
I did my level one two years ago so trying to think back, i do remember having to do the flex as i do it all the time, before goes on and before i take off.

You've motivated me here - I'm going to go out tomorrow and do something with him. Think I'll take my homework cards and give myself something specific to do (otherwise I end up doing the same things over and over:eek:)

You've motivated me here - I'm going to go out tomorrow and do something with him. Think I'll take my homework cards and give myself something specific to do (otherwise I end up doing the same things over and over:eek:)

LOL tell me how you get on:)

btw I prob sound a complete geek but I do take my level book and homework book with me to the yard:eek: Also I tend to have in my mind what I will practise on.

Does it sound pathetic to say I colour my boxes in on my homework sheets when I've practised them and just like a star chart I find the colouring in of the boxes particularly rewearding and get cross with myself if I'm 'not allowed' to colour in a box:eek::eek:

I try and do QS between 4 and 6 times a week but then Harvey needs exercising/working his mind at least 5-6 days a week or he gets silly. Sometimes it's only half hr thogh sometimes longer.

newrider.com