Passwords warning

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
I had a call today from Ebay to ask if something I had listed was legit. As I hadn't listed anything to sell, I was surprised that I was in fact selling a very upmarket trailer....

Someone has hacked into my ebay account, as it was listed under my ID and had bids on it.

So ebay have delisted it and I have changed my passwords - their advice was never use the same password on multiple accounts.

Attachments

• $_12.jpg
    $_12.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 7
did they intend to take the money, if so how, via my paypal account? and then when the trailer is not delivered/collected the buyers come after me for a refund.

That's awful. Just yet another example of ebay gone bad (remember Candyflosspots ordeal?). I used to have a business sellers account but I don't use it anymore - it gave an awful lot of detail about me.

If your buying a trailer you should go and get it, cash on collection. There have been trailer scams that someone just lists one hoping some idiot will buy unseen.

They can put in their own paypal account on your listing. I sometimes sell things for friends and just put their paypal address in on the listing. Perhaps thats what they had in mind. All sounds very mental, that was well picked up by ebay I must say. Good on them

yes but they have my id, even the listing has my home town etc so I am curious how they can do this i.e. if they can hack into my account, then they can get into my paypal account if they have found the password.

all they have to do is insert their paypal address into the payment box, it dosent need to be linked whatsoever to the ID holder. The call was defo from ebay?!Im presuming they didnt ask for your password over the phone! If they had your paypal account to then yes they could hack into that also and just forward money onto another account.

newrider.com