Pastures New

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
After a lot of thought, I have decided to rehome my two younger donkeys. They are only 9 years old and could have another 20 years or more ahead of them given Tintin is 26 and Aimee 33. What with mum, and OH being ill earlier in the year and not being able to do much, I had the whole burden, full time work, all the animals, household x 2 as mum is a semi full time job! She is 95 in September.

I bought Murphy as a 3 year old when Ferguson died very suddenly and wanted a pair for Aimee as Tintin is 14hh i.e huge and she is tiny. I tried everywhere, could not find an older donkey anywhere, all foals or yearlings. Didn't want one from DS as they are iffy about homing with horses and if they take them back if THEY consider they are bonded with the horse, they take the entire herd....so no way. He was the best of a bad lot, went to see him, very overgrown feet (soon found out why when we had the farrier). He was useless with Aimee as he refused to be stabled banged the door the entire time and he bullied her. Instead she and Tintin teamed up, Little and Very Large, but they get on wonderfully well apart from feeding time.

Then I was offered Krug, he had been rescued with his mum, who then died, and the lady who had him, with 2 horses, was under pressure from her husband to downsize, so he came here as a pal for Murphy and he did him a lot of good as they beat the shit out of each other and are typical young donkeys, chasing, stealing things, generally into trouble. Never leave anything not locked - mind you they managed to wreck my rug dryer by dragging it across the yard, taking the wheels off it, breaking the electrics, leaving it in a ditch in the mud.

I don't love them the way i loved Big Ears, Mouse, Ferguson, Vodka, Aimee and Tintin. I love Krug he is a sweetie but Murphy is a pain in the butt, he kicks, he would bite, he is a total thug. I don't trust him or like him and the feeling is mutual. He is not a cuddly donkey. I look after them, care for them, but i don't want to work with him or spend time with him as i find him annoying whereas i have endless patience with the others, as Tintin isn't easy and is very strong.

I was going to send them to the Donkey Sanctuary and made initial enquiries but decided against it as it was possible they would take all 4 (and i want to keep the oldies) and even the horses if they considered they were bonded. I had hoped, given i had found a home, that they could rehome them under contract but the adoptee would have to go through all their training program - she has had horses for 30 years - and then put her horses at risk unless she keeps them completely separate. So she and her husband came to see them on Sunday and I went to see their place yesterday.

They are half an hour away, originally they were going to go to the vet who has two donkeys and lives up the road from us, but her husband is ill and she decided against it and suggested they would be an excellent home as she has been their vet for 20 plus years. They bought an ex big estate failed dairy farm, it has 8 barns, they have converted one which is 100ft by 50ft into a donkey barn with wood chip floor, they have another barn for the horses one part of it wood chip the other part an arena, They have around six acres plus 45 across the road which they rent out. The land is rougher grazing, much less rich, and they have multipe barns for extra winter turnout if they need it. It will get wet there as it is reedy more like the place we used to live.

Her own horses are in lovely condition, the horse facilities are very good but not immaculate and over done, i.e. her house and tack room and feed store are a bit like mine, there is organisation but stuff is everywhere, I would have hated it if it was like a racing yard where they have lawn and flowers but they stand in all the time, she competes with her horses and thought it might be like that but no it is homely. They will go out during day in winter and in the big barn at night and reverse in summer. She has excellent storage for shavings and hay so it is set up to be easy.

There would seem to be plenty of money around to care for them, and they are very enthusiastic about having them, despite knowing all about the Murph. So the boys are going in end of September. I am happy sad, I would have kept Krug but i can't split them up. and as the lady doesn't work she will spend more time with them doing more with them and she has children who are horsey and has made wills to keep them safe should anything happen.

So i think i have done the best i can for them. It will give me now 3 less to do, and it will also give me the opportunity to get another Buddy if I decide that due to the traffic on the lane outside getting bad - we had an incident on Sunday with Buddy, that would have terrified Suze - that I don't think it is safe for her, then I will try to find an old boy with a few years left in him to take over from Buddy who is still doing well.

All i have to do is get the two little ones to load, which could be interesting.....

Sounds very much like the right decision.
I donā€™t know about donkeys but *think they take more care than ponies?
Itā€™s such a massive commitment when you have so much other stuff going on, sometimes you have to put them and yourself first. Nice that they wonā€™t be too far away.
Good luck with the loading šŸ¤ž hope it all gos smoothly and they are very happy in their new home x

It would be sensible as it sounds like you're being run ragged atm. Hope they load better than Ramsey- he just pretended he couldn't see the trailer therefore could not load. He was very calm - just gazed into the distance.

325569005_5937247186332547_8275994693813664161_n.jpg

This is their big winter barn, aren't they lucky

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
Lucky happy donkeys, they love to be dry, don't they?
and they say they are terrible to worm, Krug was fine, just stick in mouth. Murphy I always did with farrier, tie up donkey, farrier hold one side of halter and foot, and i hold other side and administer, done in 2 ticks. Easiest way, no one gets hurt

Going down to Penrith with the poodle to have his eyes done, I drive past Murphy and Krug. Today on the way back, I parked up as I could see them in the field and went to the fence and called. They both came over, Murphy leading then Krug. Clearly recognised me, felt rather tearful

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com