Pax horse calmer

Dec 1, 2008
I know this has probably been covered before, but I can't seem to get the search to bring anything up.

Has anyone got any stories, good, bad or indifferent about how Pax horse calmer has worked (or not) for them?

Thanks

Hi There

I have it.

I think its worth the money, but I cant say hand on heart if it really helps.

What I think it does is when we get scared and start to sweat it sends the right smells to the horse (that we are not scared).

But our other body signals still send out the I am scared signals.

Saying that I will still use it when I ride, along with Rescue remedy sweets.

What I need to work on is not being scared, and with the help of some good friends from here, Im hoping to have overcome my fear out hacking by the summer :D

Probably not helped much, my suggestion would be for £20.00 buy it, its all in the mind anyway and the placibo effect is magnificent :D

Hi,

When searching, do paxhorse or paxcalmer as the word pax only being three letters I dont' think the search allows anything under four!

Anyway, I have it also. Not sure why you want to use it, whether you want it for your horse or to mask the smell of you being nervous... But I think its just of those things that you have to try and see if it makes any difference. Like calmers or anything else - There is no mirical cure - out there, but sometimes the want for something to work can make a little difference

EG - My mare can get anxious, so if I say to myself; 'oh, I'll put on pax, that means if I get uptight, she wont be able to smell me getting uptight'' thus in the process of not being found out I am more relaxed and don't get to too ''I want everything perfect'' So it can work like that a bit... But it will not make a horse into something its not.

Goodluck.x

I did buy some and tried it a few times - but it made no difference to me or my mare (we were both scared of hacking out). The best thing for me was doing Parelli and being told that it is ok to dismount when you don't feel 100% happy (after many years of being told to stay on and feeling stupid if I wanted to get off). I now hack out my mare and know that if she is getting scared by traffic or a monster in the hedge (like a piece of broken wall that she has passed many times, but now has decided that is the work of the devil :D), then I can just get off and she is then calm. Hacking out is now a lot less scary for both of us - and the Pax is somewhere in my tackroom (I will hunt it out and offer it on here for anyone who would like to try it out).

Ali xx

newrider.com