Paying per ride when sharing

What a pickle for you @Ale. I can quite understand how you got into it, though. I'd like to be generous and assume that Brodie's owner just hasn't;t thought through the implications for you, rather than that she is taking advantage of you. I hope that if you start with an open conversation, "I need to look at my financial and time commitments and how they are working out for me, you know I adore Brodie but things seem a bit skewed at present," she may offer some concession which will make things fairer from your perspective. If not, well, you can ask her politely to make a contribution to your pet sitting. Good pet sitters are gold dust, she will not want to lose you!
This is really helpful thank-you, I'm sure it's all just not really been thought through, and as I haven't spoken up I obviously don't have any problem with anything so only myself to blame. Thank-you!

Reactions: carthorse
Writing it down can help if you are not happy about something.
The bottom line in your posts is you are not riding and that's what you have the own a horse days for (share)
After six months I would be surprised if the owner isn't also feeling down about his health as well.
When was the surgery? It can take up to a year of slow rehab, back into work with set backs.
Depending on the outcome you might even be better looking for something else, but that's up to you. You already have one out of work and seem to contributing to another one.

Reactions: MrA
I know you love Brodie, Ale, and had a good time on him. Of course it is preferable to hack a horse one knows. But our wise RI has always emphasised that there are lots of horses out there. Horses get injured or die and humans need to make new relationships with other horses.

But you need to stop blaming yourself for everything. And manage your time and money by speaking about it.
You are studying, coping with a retired horse of your own and have a job.

May be you can find a new share now?

Reactions: MrA
You've had lots of good advice here, I'd tend to agree you can't just pay when you ride with a share, but I don't think it's unreasonable to renegotiate your terms. Did he change from diy to full livery during your share? If so, Did your costs go up then? You're doing a lot of free pet sitting, plus doing extra with brodie and not always getting the perks (riding) to compensate you for your time.

Reactions: MrA and Trewsers
TBH, in your shoes I'd end the share - there's lots out there to share that you would be able to ride regularly.

There's no shame in wanting to ride, especially as you can't ride your own.

I'm suprised your still paying if he's been out of action. At the end of the day, you don't own (or even part own the share) so aren't tied to the horse in that way.

Reactions: MrA and Trewsers
Thank-you everyone for all the replies, all really appreciated and helped me to talk to her.

I'm now committed to one day per week which is less financial strain on me and can pay extra on top if I want to ride more if he's available. If he's out of work for any length of time we will pause payments until he is back. His old sharer is back from uni and looking to ride one day per week so I think it'll all work out quite well for the owner having two of us riding and contributing. Much less stress for me and more time for uni work.

We've all shared him before at the same time so I know there will be no problems there. So just fingers crossed he stays sound and there are no further issues and all will be right with the world!!

@Ale that sounds like a good arrangement that will work for everyone, I'm glad you managed to talk to her

That sounds good. I only ride my share once a week - but can fix more if I want.
What I meant to say was that riding a horse that is ridden by several other people doesnt seem to be a problem. They remember who I am and go the way I like.

newrider.com