pee wee bit

lamprellsarah

horsey and happy
Jul 21, 2000
Ware (in Hertfordshire)
www.homestead.com
been looking into bits, as my horse is so strong, i school her 3 times a week and that is in a kk snaffle and she is pretty good very forward going but doing circles and giving her something to do settles her down although canter is still strong but as we are going in circles its not too bad. out on hacks she is hard work unless i do 20 metre circles that whole time which you can't in woods! then the canter is always fast and furious i rarely have a problem stopping but still i could do with some help!
she is from the meat mark ex racehorse, had her 4 years and have tried 6/7 bits, gags, pelhams, at the mo she in a hanging cheek waterford!
anyone tried the pee wee bit?

Personally i dont like it, used it with a friends horse and found there was no way of having a soft continuous contact, its either on or off.

Also speaking to my instructor she said you have to be so careful with one as they lift the head, shorten stride and toughen mouth if not used properly (like alot of bits) but is easier to get wrong and much harder to put right.

I borrowed one to play with, tried it on three different horses and it was 3 out of 3 not impressed, the best one was no change from a normal bit, the worst hated it and tried to hide her head next time she saw a bridle coming which isn't like her. If you've tried that many different bits with changing bit making no difference then the bit might not be the problem. Teaching to bend to stop instead of using both reins is one good approach, similar idea to a circle but you don't need loads of space to do it.

ok thats a definate no then! not worth trying thanks for the answers its stops me wasting money!
yeah i have tried it but i have to be careful as when she gets in a mood she starts swinging her hindquarters and going sideways a bit and then this can results in her compltly stopping napping and it goes from bad to worse as nothing will make her go then!

newrider.com