Pee Wee bit...?

kati1990

Jun 7, 2009
Has anyone tried one?

I have a welsh section d mare who has had a shakey upbringing, she was riden through wolf teeth in her first home so does not like the bit to start with, then in her second home she got these removed and began reschooling but the summer came and the girl who had her just went hacking and galloping in fields with her friends, so on top of having over developed muscles in her under neck she likes to go fast. I can ride her fine in the school and out hacking, but do have to fight her to get her on the bit, she rides with a very high head carrage (from when she evaded the bit due to her wolf teeth)

I got her in a single jointed dutch gag, riden only on the second ( which i have read the nutcracker and dutch both have head raising actions)

I'm currently trying her in french links and revolvers to avoid the nutcracker as i think she has a rather sensitive mouth, The hanging cheek snaffle is good but if she gets her head she just runs through it, especially if it's windy.

I've read about the peewee bit, has anyone tried it and do you think it would be suitable?

If not can you advise me what might work?

I have absolutely no idea on the pee wee bit so can't help there.

My suggestion would be a myler. The loose ring comfort snaffle which is sweet iron and copper inlay. The mylers are shaped and independant moving with a 'barrel' in the middle to prevent the nutcracker action.

The reason i suggest this is because my horse was previously ridden harshly in a gag and when i got him would put his head up as high as possible to avoid a contact so has over developed under neck muscles. He still has wolf teeth and is very sensitive. I tried a myler hanging cheek which was good but he would occasionally hang on the left rein, brace and be a git. So i tried the sweet iron loose ring myler and he rides brilliantly in it. The loose ring stops him getting hold and the sweet iron encourages mouthing. Although mylers are generally expensive, i got my myler sweet iron for £35 - bargain!

Anyway sorry for going on!!:eek:

Good luck with the search for the perfect bit!:D

newrider.com