Pelham for Rubi to show in.....

Monty

Nov 16, 2001
On a farm
Visit site
Rubi should be shown in a Pelham, and I know she was by a previous owner, for the few shows she did, but I forgot to ask about the mouth piece. We have tried Rubi in the only Pelham I had which fitted her, which was a straight bar Happy Mouth, and she leaned on it dreadfully.

Anyway, found now that previous owner had her for those few shows in a jointed Pelham, but I asked her to give me what advice she could as I know little about curb bits, and double bridles. She said she felt that as Rubi was now older and more mature she could do with being in a ported Pelham and a double bridle. I personally can't see it being fair to stick two bits in Rubi's mouth. She has a small mouth, which a large fleshy tongue, and fleshy palate.

Do you think we could use a Rugby Pelham with ported piece, but with a double bridle, attaching one cheek piece to the snaffle ring of the Pelham???? Just a thought. I've heard of it being done, because it gives the appearance of a double bridle and two bits being used, and therefore more correct. I'm so sure it would be cruel to put two bits in Rubi's mouth, that I'm not even keen on trying it, to find out. Previous owner also told me to use thin reins to lengthen the appearance of her neck a little, as hers in fairly short and thick, though not as short and thick as I've seen on some cobs of her type.

Does anyone else have any ideas?? Or thoughts on the Pelham issue?? Please don't be afriad of speaking in basic terms, I'm a mine of useless information when it comes to snaffles and snaffle bridles, but doubles and curb bits??? A complete dumbo, as I've never had to use one! Me and two sets of reins?? I get tangled up in one set, let alone two!! Thanks:)

Last edited:
Since Rubi's career is mainly to be dressage I would avoid the pelham route if at all possible. Novices can be shown in snaffles.

If it is essential to put her in a pelham for shows then use the same mouthpiece as your snaffle, a light elastic curb and instruct your rider to leave the curb rein loose. Yes a Rugby pelham does look more 'dressed'

I dont know if this will help at all.:eek:
But
I bought nelly a French Link Rugby Pelham for when he is ready,
its already attached to a double bridle and yes the headslip attaches to the (fake) snaffle ring.
I bought the French Link version because that is what Nelly is already ridden in. ;)
Atm i show him in a full cheek French Link,as its allowed. ;)

Lucy is shown in a single jointed pelham - same mouthpiece as her snaffle.

I really only do dressage, with a bit of summer showing, so the Pelham is more for looks than anything - she wears it only for the show (and maybe once or twice between seasons so she remembers what it is). We gett better placements that way even though she goes just as nicely (better even) in a snaffle. Go figure! I haven't bothered with a rugby Pelham as it's all in good fun ;).

Echo Eml re the Pelham / Dressage comment.. And if you go for a rugby Pelham invest in a sliphead for the “snaffle” ring of the bit. Gives the appearance of a double and also holds the bit correctly. Rugby pelhams without slipheads are one of my pet hates..

You can get non-generic doubles – TheG had a small TB mouth but was very fleshy with a big tongue. He needed a double so I tried a few for fit and settled on a Tom Thumb set.. The mouthpieces were thinner and the port low & wide enough – he actually preferred it to any other Pelham etc. I also used a leather curb as he really didn’t like the chain.

Thank you all.
Rubi is at present in a hanging cheek with french link, and goes well in it. She does look well in a Pelham, and the snaffle has been commented upon in the last two shows by the judges, but I have to say it's very much a dressy thing as far as I'm concerned.

Kate wants to try the Pelham when hacking out too, as Rubi can be a pig out hacking. I'll try and get her one with a french link, and an elastic curb then, I think. What is a novice in showing terms, eml?? Kate has very soft hands, but I will have my beady eye on her, thankyoooooo!

Now, to find a 6" Rugby Pelham! Ho-hum! Oh and btw, are you allowed to show in spurs?????

Compulsory?? And a cob she most certainly is....so it's spurs then. Is that a lip strap I spy, on Petal,
Mehitabel?? What is a lip strap for then?? Sorry, I really am ignorant aren't I?? Ive never needed to know, I suppose.

newrider.com